Unpopular Opinions

That 49ers set would have been amazing had they kept the original shade of red. Instead they darkened the red, which muddied the whole uniform along with the addition of black. Black and gold with the 49ers' original/current brighter red though? That would have been nice.

On 1/21/2016 at 1:01 PM, Quillz said:

I really think the Raiders logo could stand to be cleaned up and modernized a bit. Much like the Vikings old primary, the Raiders logo has lots of intricate little lines and details that just don't look good at various sizes. The Vikings did a great job of modernizing their old primary, keeping the same general look but tightening up the lines, leaving out some unnecessary detail... I think the Raiders could do the same.

People have said the same thing about another team of mine, the Chicago Bulls, and I've watched the Concepts folder go 0-for-forever on both.

As for the 49ers, I like the '90s set a lot. I like the classic set even more.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Just now, the admiral said:

People have said the same thing about another team of mine, the Chicago Bulls, and I've watched the Concepts folder go 0-for-forever on both.

I like the '90s 49ers set a lot. I like the classic 49ers set even more.

The difference, IMO, is that the Bulls logo was already very sharp and well-designed. Even today, it doesn't have lots of extraneous details that get lost when being resized, embroidered, etc, which happens with the Raiders logo, largely because it's a fairly complex logo (text, a shield, a raider, etc.)

That said, on the same subject, I do think the Bulls logo could be tightened up a bit, again, similar to what the Vikings did with their logo. I've seen some good concepts, but most go too extreme and attempt to make the bull look more fierce or aggressive.

You're still missing the point. The Raiders sell continuity -- not just that the logo and uniforms have remained virtually unchanged through championships and relocations, but a wholesale philosophy that everyone else can embrace trends, but they're going to do things the way they've always done things. It's like when people make concepts to make the team look "more badass," except the Raiders invented our popular conception of "looking badass" in sports, so you're just ripping off the people who ripped you off in the first place. They don't need to change with the times because changing with the times is for people who didn't get it right the first time. The Vertical Game will reign supreme once more!

Show me an updated Raider shield that not only looks better but justifies the change in the marketplace after 50+ years. I have to see it to believe it, because I can't conceive of one myself. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 1/23/2016 at 10:24 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

This has always been my favorite 49ers set:

920x920.jpg

...with the '94 throwbacks a close second. I do like the current set and Montana set, and get the historical significance behind that particular look. But I feel like this set did a very good job of modernizing while honoring and respecting that history, as well as being a solid, cohesive, and strong uniform in its own right. It brought eras together and is essentially what I wish they were wearing today.

And to be totally honest? I love drop shadow numbers (that may be an unpopular opinion in and of itself), so there's another big reason there. The 49ers just pulled them off so well.

12 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

That 49ers set would have been amazing had they kept the original shade of red. Instead they darkened the red, which muddied the whole uniform along with the addition of black. Black and gold with the 49ers' original/current brighter red though? That would have been nice.

My thoughts exactly. The 1990s-2000s 49ers set was nice and very underappreciated in hindsight, but its fatal flaw was that darker, cardinal-ish red. Keep the original scarlet/candy-apple red/whatever you want to call it and you have a great modernization that honors the Montana years while bringing it forward.

• Like 2

1. Stop trying to make color-on-color a thing in everything. Big NFL Playoff or College Football Playoff games should not be color-on color.

2. Helmet endzones for the Super Bowl were good for the team helmet, but look awful with the conference logo on it. I'd either do the helmet of the team-wordmark-conference logo or the modern norm (well, until this year if it's any indication) of team logo-wordmark-conference logo.

• Like 2

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

33 minutes ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

The Maple Leafs' new logo isn't bad, but it's a downgrade from their previous logo.

You can keep Harold Ballard's legacy if you want. We're just fine getting rid of it.

Getting rid of the legacy of a bigoted anti-player criminal who did substantial damage to the franchise isn't a bad thing, especially since the Ballard Leaf is far from the best logo the Leafs have had.

• Like 3

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 1/23/2016 at 11:24 PM, FinsUp1214 said:

This has always been my favorite 49ers set:

920x920.jpg

...with the '94 throwbacks a close second. I do like the current set and Montana set, and get the historical significance behind that particular look. But I feel like this set did a very good job of modernizing while honoring and respecting that history, as well as being a solid, cohesive, and strong uniform in its own right. It brought eras together and is essentially what I wish they were wearing today.

And to be totally honest? I love drop shadow numbers (that may be an unpopular opinion in and of itself), so there's another big reason there. The 49ers just pulled them off so well.

Might just be the very best uniform in NFL history, in my opinion.

The Jets and the Colts really need to spice up their unis. Maybe go double green/double blue, possibly modernize the striping, I don't entirely know, but they need to do whatever it takes to get rid of their current bland, boring unis.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CRichardson said:

Getting rid of the legacy of a bigoted anti-player criminal who did substantial damage to the franchise isn't a bad thing, especially since the Ballard Leaf is far from the best logo the Leafs have had.

Forget about legacies, both losing and criminal, I'm just glad they're finally getting rid of a mediocre logo.  It was like when Boston altered their logo in 2008 going from mediocre to spectacular, instantly.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2015 at 0:14 AM, ConcreteCharlie said:

This might actually get me crucified, but here goes.....I like the bengals helmet that says BENGALS more than the one they wear now with the stripes. Yes you read that correctly

Completely agree, the current helmet looks like it was made for the circus, while the block font "BENGALS" helmet is pure awesome. Plus their current uniforms remind me of the no-huddle fad in the late 80's-early 90's (although most teams use it today but whatever, it's still a fad) and the Ickey Shuffle. Time to leave the one magical season in the past and go back to the franchise's roots.

Ok, here goes. I think that the Current Anaheim Ducks branding is better than the Mighty Ducks. (Yes, the current includes the Mighty Ducks logo recolored.) The Webbed-foot D logo is better than the Mighty Ducks logo. It's ingenious. The shape of a ducks foot makes the letter D... It's better than a Duck goalie mask with hockey Sticks behind it. (But don't get me wrong the MIghty Ducks logo is still a decent logo.)

This one may not be as unpopular, but I prefer the 1967 leaf to the current new Logo of the Maple Leafs. While the new logo is better than the Ballard logo, the 1967 leaf is the best they've ever had...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The Carolina Panthers would look much, much better if they dropped silver. Black, Carolina blue and white already mix perfectly well together, with the right amount compliment and contrast. Adding silver just muddies up whats otherwise a great look.

I spent 30 seconds in paint to show what I mean.

pantherswhite.thumb.png.2bf5c10dae8ad659

• Like 5

On 2/5/2016 at 11:13 AM, chcarlson23 said:

This one may not be as unpopular, but I prefer the 1967 leaf to the current new Logo of the Maple Leafs. While the new logo is better than the Ballard logo, the 1967 leaf is the best they've ever had...

I like the 1967 leaf, but I think of it more as the best logo Canada ever had than one of the best logos the Leafs ever had. If they're going to go modern, though, that would be the way to do it.