NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. I own a shirt like these, and love it.

GYI0063315290_crop_450x500.jpg?1296864657

I just wish there wasn't black on the numbers.

So you liked the complete rip-off of the Maple Leafs??

Putting black in the numbers was a must.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Look up like 5 posts.

I think what WSU is saying is that while it's admirable that the Lightning want to create an iconic look of their own, there are ways to do so without ripping off the look of another team.

Look up like 5 posts.

I think what WSU is saying is that while it's admirable that the Lightning want to create an iconic look of their own, there are ways to do so without ripping off the look of another team.

Exactly.

And raysox, to be honest, I only skimmed over your earlier post. I apologize, I missed some of your context.

Look up like 5 posts.

Exactly.

And raysox, to be honest, I only skimmed over your earlier post. I apologize, I missed some of your context.

It's really how you view it. At first I hated it because I love the current set. But once I realized why they changed it, I loved it. They wanted a simple dynamic, and hopefully iconic logo. Sure, people say it's a rip off of the Redwings' and Leafs. But you see, they have logos like that. Yzerman wanted to hopefully add the Lightning to that list, because that's what he knew in his like, 25 years of his career. It wont be soon, but if the logo is kept simple, than it works. Realizing this has changed the way I've even does concepts.

I'm sorry, I've read thru this post a few times, and it just doesn't make any sense to me, the bolded part, maybe it's the wording, i don't know. Please clarify because I don't understand what point you are trying to make. If you are trying to say the the lightning logo has the possibility to be grouped in with iconic logos like the Wings and Leafs, that's not true. The wings and leafs are original 6 teams, they've been in the league forever and it makes sense for them to have traditional striping elements and a one color design. The Lightning came into the league 50 years later in the untraditional market of Florida. I thought the gaudy, modern logowork they used to have, along with the very unique lightning bolt / striping design on the pants, was appropriate for a team of their location and their relatively recent entrance into the NHL.

The Wings and Leafs designs make sense because of the tradition that these "storied" franchises possess (the only thing that really DOESNT make sense out of these two teams current uniforms is Detroit's modern looking tapered collar). Another reason the Lightning's new logo has no chance of being grouped with these teams is that the logowork is plain mediocre. It looks like clip art. The Maple Leafs detailed leaf logo on the alternate and the Wings detailed crest have a classic look to them. The Lightning's logo looks like a corporate logo more than anything. The skewing of the oval is awkward, the shadowing makes it look like a random disconnection of the oval, and the wordmark is weirdly placed and doesn't really interact well with the top of the bolt. Now that they added in a tiny amount of black, it looks like they put no thought into the design, they were just trying to please the fans, and it was thrown in as an afterthought just to say "there ya go, you have black now". I hate how the bolt on the pants look now, it should be a blue bolt on a white stripe, or there should be another white outline around the black outline to match the numbers on the blue jersey. In my opinion, this has turned into a trainwreck of an identity.

Yzerman insisted on a classic look because he likes the Red Wings jerseys, but the logos they came up with are not in any league with other classic, one color logos in the NHL or in other leagues. It's a rip off of original 6 looks and a poorly executed rip off, at that. I think, if they insist on having mostly blue and only a tiny bit of black, they should look no further than the shoulder patch with this logo set. I think that making it a circle looks at least 100 times better than the oval, and the text is integrated in a much more visually pleasing way around the circle that definitely comes off as "classic". It's far superior in my eyes. I like the little lightning accent at the bottom, too.

I think we'll see more substantial additions of black after next season. They added what they could so late in the process for this upcoming season, they'll add more in time.

Bingo. We already know the victory stripes are coming back for 2012-13. Expect black trim to be added to the sleeve and sock striping, and maybe in some detail work on the logo itself.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Maybe I'm pulling a complete brain fart here, but if they want their own new " modern classic " look why not go just black and white as opposed to the blue? I don't think there's a single team to really be identified with those two colours alone in the NHL. I know there is an old Hawks jersey (if i'm not mistaken), but no real identity formed around just black and white.

untitled-6.jpg

I don't get the hate for the Sharks' orange color. It looks excellent with their current shade of teal. I hated the old teal-and-gray uniforms anyway, it was almost too "cold" of a color scheme for San Jose, if that makes sense.

IDK, when I think of teal, silver, and black, the LAST thing I think about is "cold". It was a very...pacific-y color scheme, and very fitting (especially with the original teal shade). The way I see it, it was perfect for an identity based on an underwater creature. Orange and Teal works for, say, the Miami Dolphins, because (hope this doesn't sound silly) Dolphins jump out of water and "into the sun", so to say, as the logo depicts. That fits, and looks great. Orange with the Sharks, on the other hand, is just odd. When you're watching Shark Week, a majority of the footage is underwater, which is dominated by blues, teals, and darker shades (not necessarily black, but you get it). Unless a Shark is swimming by some strange coral or seaweed, you're not going to see a whole lot of orange or gold. It's not like orange sunrays burst into the ocean and color areas orange, either. And lastly, most Sharks are....you know...grey and white, hence why the use of grey/silver works as the accent.

So, when I look at the Sharks' original color scheme, it fits an underwater creature theme to me. The orange just looks thrown in for kicks and giggles - it just doesn't fit in my eyes.

EDIT: I thought I'd throw in this pic to help get what I'm saying across.

great-white-shark-1.jpg

This is what I mean by Teal, Silver, and Black working perfectly for San Jose. When you really consider a Shark and its surroundings, Orange isn't a color that is prominent or needing to be portrayed. The scheme was fine as it was in representing a Shark theme.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Maybe I'm pulling a complete brain fart here, but if they want their own new " modern classic " look why not go just black and white as opposed to the blue? I don't think there's a single team to really be identified with those two colours alone in the NHL. I know there is an old Hawks jersey (if i'm not mistaken), but no real identity formed around just black and white.

Los-Angeles-Kings-Nhl-Jerseys-94-Ryan-Smyth-Stitched-Black-Third-Jersey.jpgnew%2Bkings%2Bjersey.jpg

OttawaSenators.png

Los-Angeles-Kings-Nhl-Jerseys-94-Ryan-Smyth-Stitched-Black-Third-Jersey.jpgnew%2Bkings%2Bjersey.jpg

He did say just black and white, not black white and silver. Anyway, with that look being so new (and the fact I don't see the Kings much), I still think of L.A. as a purple team.

He did say just black and white, not black white and silver. Anyway, with that look being so new (and the fact I don't see the Kings much), I still think of L.A. as a purple team.

Blur your eyes and the silver practically dissapears. Using Black and White won't solve the problem of originality. They'll just look like the Kings instead of the Leafs. They need Black, White, Blue and Silver. That was a unique colour scheme and suited them perfectly.

They'll just look like the **** instead of the Leafs. They need Black, White, Blue and Silver. That was a unique colour scheme and suited them perfectly.

Sure you're not talking about Tampa instead of LA? =)

I don't get the hate for the Sharks' orange color. It looks excellent with their current shade of teal. I hated the old teal-and-gray uniforms anyway, it was almost too "cold" of a color scheme for San Jose, if that makes sense.

The old logo was severely amateurish and looked terrible. While I can understand why people think the new one is cartoonish, it's distinctive from the rest of the league and is far more professional and well-executed than the old crap.

For me it's because I got used to seeing them for over 15 years with teal, black and silver/gray and that particular change was jarring. Orange just seems so out of place on their otherwise more muted oceanic color scheme.

While I can understand the way you feel about the old color scheme, to me the pacific gold color work for their whole identity because California is the "Golden State." So overall, when you include the improved logo, jersey template, and the new colors it's a modern classic. The only thing I hate is the jersey numbers on the upper left portion of the chest, as it makes the front a little cluttered.

Archived