NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

My problem with the Wild's current colour scheme isn't that it reminds me of Christmas

What do you have against Christmas? People say this and I never understood why it's all that bad. Black and yellow remind me of Caterpillar Machines... red, white, and blue remind me of the US flag and 4th of July... green and white remind me of St. Patrick's day and the Irish. What's so overtly wrong with a team matching the color scheme of something that doesn't have to do with sports?

Sigh...

I said my problem IS NOT that the colour scheme reminds me of Christmas.

My problem with it is that I liked the North Stars colour scheme so much more. If the Devils went back to red and green, I'd have no problem with it. In my opinion Minnesota's team should be called the North Stars and wear green and yellow.

Oh sorry, I guess I missed "'nt"

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, let's remove the holiday connotation from the discussion. Why aren't red and green used more often as a combination in professional sports? Is it just because nobody ever thinks of it? No, it's because it doesn't look good. The Devils came to their senses years ago. The Wild should follow, or at least go back to using it minimally.

I like the way the Wild use red & green--it works for me, but New Jersey didn't use it as well

The differences in the shades can make a big difference.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I'm sorry but it really annoys me that people are so close-minded that they can't accept that red and green look good and go together because they are complimentary colors. I deal with it at work, every time the colors of red and green are being tried out. It's always, "Oh no, we can't use that. It looks too much like Christmas." I wish these people would walk outside and look at nature as a lot of plants are red and green.

So what you're really saying is that you're annoyed that other people have opinions that differ from yours. And as a result, THEY'RE the close-minded ones. Got it.

I don't mind the Wild's color scheme in general. And I love the original white jerseys and the more recent green ones -- all of which minimize the use of red. But i'm going to join the chorus of the closed-minded when I say I can't stand the red uniforms EXACTLY because the way they're designed makes then look like a one-off novelty Christmas-time promotion for a minor league team.

oddball isn't the most personable poster here, but I happen to agree with him on this one. The idea that certain colour schemes must be pegged to a holiday or fast food chain is ridiculous. It gets tiring seeing "lol McDonald's" every time a red and athletic gold uniform is discussed, and the same goes for red and green and the Christmas connotation. Green and red are definitely associated with that holiday, but that holiday doesn't own those colours, and it gets slightly tiresome to read "lol Christmas" posts every time a red and green uniform is discussed.

Besides, it's an inconsistent argument. No one claims the Flyers look like Halloween decorations, do they?

Alright, let's remove the holiday connotation from the discussion. Why aren't red and green used more often as a combination in professional sports? Is it just because nobody ever thinks of it? No, it's because it doesn't look good. The Devils came to their senses years ago. The Wild should follow, or at least go back to using it minimally.

Orange and black don't get the Halloween comparisons because it's a far more widely used color palette in professional sports. That's because, when paired together, it looks good. People like it. We don't have to use some derisive comparison with a holiday to mock it.

Off the top of my head, professional franchises in the 4 major sports that use black and orange are... 4. Baltimore Orioles, San Francisco Giants, Cincinnati Bengals, and Philadelphia Flyers. The Orioles and Bengals use black because that's the natural color of the animal/bird they are named after. The use of red and green in the four major sports is 2, the Wild and the Milwaukee Bucks. So orange and black aren't a more widely used color palate in professional sports. I'm not saying orange and black don't look good, because it does. Red and green look good also. But to sit there and and say that people mock the colors of green and red because of a holiday is laughable at best. People say that red and green are Christmas colors, and few say they look bad, just it will give a Christmas feel to whatever you are using. What I find humorous is that you can give a red rose to a woman and she doesn't reject the rose because it's got the colors of Christmas in it. The woman is smart enough to look past that frivolous thought, and see the rose for what it is. A rose. Red and green are two colors that look good together, and are complimentary and have been around and used in art long before the Christmas holiday was ever invented. Maybe the people who hate red and green have bad Christmas memories as children and never got that red rider beebee gun because their parents thought they'd shoot their eyes out with it. Who knows.

I think red and green look fine if it has a color like vintage white to pull it all together.

I agree with this. Like I said before, I like the Wild's white jerseys, which are heavy on green and white, but use gold and red as accents. Their whole set goes wrong with the red jersey-green pants combo. It's a disaster on skates.

I agree with the posters that say the Red Wild jersey is awful but not because it uses red and green and therefore relates to Christmas. Having a roundel on a jersey with a phantom yolk and no hem stripes is a bizarre design choice. Plus that Vintage White or "Wheat" shade does not look good as the only accent seperating red and green.

I'm looking at these pictures http://bluejackets.nhl.com/club/gallery.htm?id=23503&location=/photos&pg=1

and either it's just me or the pants worn by Carter and Wisniewski appear far shinier than anything in the past.

It seems like it'd be better for a color matching, which is a big problem for the Wild and a lot of other teams with lighter colored pants.

Maybe the shiny versus flat pants debate has made its way over from football.

PvO6ZWJ.png

As a Wild fan Im actually starting to get kind of sick of there jerseys. They have the red ones that they promoted the crap out of a couple years ago. I think the Wild were never meant to have a full red jersey, it just doesnt look good.

Now the Wild are promoting the crap out of there new green third jerseys and Im already starting to get a little sick of them. As mentioned before, If the Wild made the green jerseys the primary and then made a white version for the road like the aeros did then I would actually like that.

64499eda21b1f3444c949fc8e60f4e3a.200.jpg

BTW- I have not been paying much attention lately so does anybody know when the Senators are going to unvailing there third?

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

As a Wild fan Im actually starting to get kind of sick of there jerseys. They have the red ones that they promoted the crap out of a couple years ago. I think the Wild were never meant to have a full red jersey, it just doesnt look good.

Now the Wild are promoting the crap out of there new green third jerseys and Im already starting to get a little sick of them. As mentioned before, If the Wild made the green jerseys the primary and then made a white version for the road like the aeros did then I would actually like that.

BTW- I have not been paying much attention lately so does anybody know when the Senators are going to unvailing there third?

*their

PvO6ZWJ.png

And while we're on the subject, it's "yoke,". This word is often misspelled.

A yoke is a wooden harness set over the shoulders of oxen or horses allowing them to pull together. A patch of color across a player's shoulder take their name from this.

"Yolk" is found in eggs. Personally, I like mine a little runny, but your mileage may vary.

As a Wild fan, I'm actually starting to get kind of sick of theretheir jerseys. They have the red ones that they promoted the crap out of a couple years ago. I think the Wild were never meant to have a full red jersey; it just doesn't look good.

Now the Wild are promoting the crap out of theretheir new green third jerseys, and I'm already starting to get a little sick of them. As mentioned before, If the Wild made the green jerseys the primary, and then made a white version for the road like the Aeros did, then I would actually like that.

BTW- I have not been paying much attention lately. so Does anybody know when the Senators are going to unvailingunveil theretheir third?

God, I've been needing one of those ever since I read that op-ed in the Alabama student paper. I feel so much better now.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I know the difference between there and their, but for :censored:s sake people it's a damn message board not a grammar test.

Fixed. We're aware that it isn't a grammar test, but posts full of errors like that post tend to grind on quite a few peoples' nerves.

If you want to be treated like a grownup, write like one.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived