NHL 2011-2012: Possible Uniform Changes

uah8tr

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of which, we can now see what the league will collectively look like in 2011-2012! If you ask me it's looking better every year.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/2011-12.html

Crazy how just 5 seasons after the Edge Rollout, 10 teams have replaced their initial home and away jerseys. Heres what needs to go next...

Bruins - Third

Flames - Home and Away

Avalanche - ALL three

Stars - ALL three

Oilers - Third

Senators - Home and Away

Penguins - Home and Away

Blues - Home and Away

Lightning - Third

The Blues 3rd is becoming the de facto jersey. It seems like every time I watch them they are wearing the 3rd. Is there a max number of times a team can wear an alt in a season?

This is what the Blues did in the 90s when they had their first alt. After a couple seasons it became the primary jersey and was awesome until the edge system messed it up.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Speaking of which, we can now see what the league will collectively look like in 2011-2012! If you ask me it's looking better every year.

Crazy how just 5 seasons after the Edge Rollout, 10 teams have replaced their initial home and away jerseys. Heres what needs to go next...

Bruins - Third

Flames - Home and Away

Avalanche - ALL three

Stars - ALL three

Oilers - Third

Senators - Home and Away

Penguins - Home and Away

Blues - Home and Away

Lightning - Third

The Blues 3rd is becoming the de facto jersey. It seems like every time I watch them they are wearing the 3rd. Is there a max number of times a team can wear an alt in a season?

This is what the Blues did in the 90s when they had their first alt. After a couple seasons it became the primary jersey and was awesome until the edge system messed it up.

Agreed. The Blues had a top-5 look in the NHL before the EDGE screwed everything up. It had a modern look, yet it wasn't over the top. It was an effective and classy look. No other team in the league downgraded more than the Blues did (the Flames are close).

Agreed. The Blues had a top-5 look in the NHL before the EDGE screwed everything up. It had a modern look, yet it wasn't over the top. It was an effective and classy look. No other team in the league downgraded more than the Blues did (the Flames are close).

I humbly submit the Avalanche for your consideration.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I saw a guy wearing a counterfeit version of this at a gyros joint last week. They're knocking off making fashion jerseys more affordable for the average fan fashion replicas now.

FYP :rolleyes:

Is this for real? Black sweaters for eveybody?

They're just fashion sweaters. They won't be worn on the ice.

I humbly submit the Avalanche for your consideration.

I had them at 3rd behind the Flames & Blues, respectively...but the Avs' 3rd is probably the worst jersey in the entire league, so there's that.

the Avs' 3rd is probably the worst jersey in the entire league, so there's that.

It's not even the worst jersey the Avs wear!

Personally, I beg to differ. The design with the wordmark together is way too busy, and the fact that they didn't go full maroon is disappointing.

OttawaSenators.png

I wouldn't sweat it. If they're indeed staying in the NASCAR Division this year, they might not even play at Phoenix this year, and if they don't do it this year, they might never at all.

I have no problem with a "shared history" deal. People are getting way too knotted up over the sanctity of franchise lineage. No, they're not the 1972-1996 Jets, but they're another team which is also called the Jets. This isn't that hard to process. I mean, irrespective of name, they're inevitably going to have Steen/Hawerchuk/Selanne(?) nights. Are they supposed to refrain from celebrating these players because most of the roster from the '96 Jets played on the '97 Coyotes?

Agreed me'ah achuz (100%)

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

Bruins - Third

Flames - Home and Away

Avalanche - ALL three

Stars - ALL three

Oilers - Third

Senators - Home and Away

Penguins - Home and Away

Blues - Home and Away Everything

Lightning - Third

Fixed. Burn it all. Including the alternate. Just bring back the immediate pre-edge set.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

honestly, I didn't think the Blues jerseys were that hated, I thought they transitioned to exactly what Reebok wanted to do with all of the teams, that futuristic look, but they managed to keep the shoulders. It's very RBK, but it certainly wasn't the worst downgrade of the group (that had to be Edmonton or Dallas)

Dallas went incredibly plain and didn't immediately know what they wanted to do (remember the white version with the logo?) after losing the iconic star-jerseys, but at least they look like hockey jerseys. College hockey jerseys, but hockey jerseys nonetheless.

Calgary looked really good with the Sea-of-Red jerseys, and then they had to change it for something that had too many stripes in too many directions and just doesn't work well.

The Avs had essentially one jersey set, the unique-yet-not-crazy mountain design, and then that unique imagery was taken away from them for something bland and ugly-looking.

As terrible as the Pittsburgh/Ottawa jerseys look, they didn't have anything as great as the Avalanche gave up.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

So is this a consideration to make the Blues alt the full time home jersey? If this does happen in the near future, I will be happy to see the Blues distance themselves from the failures of hockey jerseys they are currently wearing. Their alt is no doubt pure class, but there might be a number of changes that could be hard to swallow. First, would people accept to have the Blues completely dump the traditional royal blue? They have been using a royal blue home (or road) jersey since their inception and all of a sudden, they will be completely different and they will be sharing the same color palette as the Predators and Sabres. And what about the traditional blue note crest? Circle logos go over as unpopular most of the time and having the Blues no longer using their iconic mark like they used to probably wouldn't help the cause. I don't know if it's really that good of an idea.

As terrible as the Pittsburgh/Ottawa jerseys look, they didn't have anything as great as the Avalanche gave up.

Ottawa's jerseys don't look so bad. The red/white pointy stripe from underneath the armpits does look a bit awkward, but they really aren't that bad at all. I think it works well enough.

Pittsburgh's home jersey is not too bad. But with the release of all these beautiful looking traditional jerseys with horizontal striping, I'm starting to dislike Pittsburgh's jerseys more and more. Especially their road jersey. I still like the use of vegas gold though. And also their fauxback Winter Classic.

So is this a consideration to make the Blues alt the full time home jersey? If this does happen in the near future, I will be happy to see the Blues distance themselves from the failures of hockey jerseys they are currently wearing. Their alt is no doubt pure class, but there might be a number of changes that could be hard to swallow. First, would people accept to have the Blues completely dump the traditional royal blue? They have been using a royal blue home (or road) jersey since their inception and all of a sudden, they will be completely different and they will be sharing the same color palette as the Predators and Sabres. And what about the traditional blue note crest? Circle logos go over as unpopular most of the time and having the Blues no longer using their iconic mark like they used to probably wouldn't help the cause. I don't know if it's really that good of an idea.

Not exactly. They had the alt for just one season knowing before it even came out that it was going to be the primary the following season. I think what they have now are great. Us fans have no problem distancing ourselves from the earlier look. Were with the mindset that this team has rebuilt from head to toe, the jersey change helps with that. Its a new beginning.

Not exactly. They had the alt for just one season knowing before it even came out that it was going to be the primary the following season. I think what they have now are great. Us fans have no problem distancing ourselves from the earlier look. Were with the mindset that this team has rebuilt from head to toe, the jersey change helps with that. Its a new beginning.

Thanks for the clarification on their plans in the 90s. I was in middle school at the time and not all loco for logos yet. I don't know if they're officially considering changing but I judging from jerseys I see at games now and what players names are on the back, most people are buying the 3rd jersey whenever they get a new one at this point. I know I wish I had waited to buy a new jersey until the 3rds came out, but I can't justify the cost of a new jersey yet (I live in Memphis so when I wear my Blues jersey I may as well be wearing an alien suit to some people, as popular as hockey is here.)

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Thanks for the clarification on their plans in the 90s. I was in middle school at the time and not all loco for logos yet. I don't know if they're officially considering changing but I judging from jerseys I see at games now and what players names are on the back, most people are buying the 3rd jersey whenever they get a new one at this point. I know I wish I had waited to buy a new jersey until the 3rds came out, but I can't justify the cost of a new jersey yet (I live in Memphis so when I wear my Blues jersey I may as well be wearing an alien suit to some people, as popular as hockey is here.)

Im in Missouri and its the same way here. If theres a hockey fan hes either at the ice rink or at Boomers Bar. I was in middle school too when the change happened. It was a big one cause, well hell, I was used to the clown uniforms. I think maybe thats why I like their current set. I lived through the clown suit era.

In fact, the Edge matter should be treated as a whole.

First - on the technology side, I believe they made a good step. Lighter fabrics, less weight, ultimately, the round shape of the bottom for the jerseys to allow more movement was a good move.

Second - on the colors and design side, the people who worked on Edmonton, Toronto, Tampa Bay to a degree, did not have a clue of hockey history. At first, not kidding, I thought those were training jerseys. I am pretty sure Montreal had to fight to keep their traditional red jersey because of the lines that were not fitting edge at all.

But they have an excuse. The owners of these clubs who had a poor design accepted their new jerseys.

In the end, after modifications, the experience is starting to give interesting results but this have been a difficult journey.

maybe it's just because i have a standard def. tv....

but in most shots, it just looks like the reflection on the helmet.

i'm a traditionalist to the core, but i don't mind the helmet numbers at all. they don't even look weird on toronto or montreal, which is the major test, imo.

Numbers on the front of the helmet (though weird at first) are a bazillion jillion times better than numbers on the front of the sweater.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived