Winnipeg Jets Release Logo

OchentaYOcho88

Wow, these logos are bad . . . i don't like the roundel. Just too complicated. The secondary logo is ok for a military team, not a hockey one. And the wordmark? Pure ugliness!

Viola ad oltranza...

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first look I had last Friday of the new logo was on my BB screen and I had the same reaction as others had on this forum: Wow, I could have done it with MS Paint myself.

However, I looked at it twice a day for 3 days and it is really growing on me. That logo says it all: Jets, Canada, North, Powerful, and the best of all, SIMPLE.

Look at the greatest logos in North AMerican Sports, they're all simple and we could all have done them in MS Paint too.

(Habs, Bruins, Yankees, Blackhawks, Lakers, Spurs, Steelers, SF Giants, Calgary Flames)

I'm pretty sure in few years time, WPG will be glad with this identity.

It Should Be Lawful for the Queen of Hockey Land, by and with the Advice and the Consent of the Sinners and the House of Pain, to Make Laws for Pucks, Hot Dogs and Good Government...

Armin at Brand New . . . article here: http://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/winnipeg_hockey_gets_bellicose.php

"The new primary logo is based on the RCAF roundel and its McDonnell Douglas CF-18 Hornet fighter jet rendered with the obligatory pointiness and shading of sports logos. The result is slightly odd. I don’t think it’s necessarily bad. It’s bold and aggressive but there is just a little too much happening with all those angled, sharp points from the maple leaf and the jet and the addition of the North-pointing compass arrow. The muted colors don’t help much in creating distinction between the elements and they turn everything into a bit of a mush.

The secondary mark with the hockey sticks and wings looks as if it came from another team, perhaps an inter-league of passenger planes. In contrast to the primary mark, this is totally G-rated. But I will grant that it will probably look great on merchandise and apparel.

Finally, there is the wordmark. A truly horrific piece of script. Not only is it unpleasant to look at but it makes no structural sense: why does the “J” connect with the “e”? I have never seen a “J” do that. And the “t” and “s” segue? Completely jarring. Loading Snell Roundhand and adding pointy ends to it would have probably been better. “We wanted to do something that authenticated the name Winnipeg Jets,” said True North chairman Mark Chipman, “rather than just a new artist’s take on it, we wanted to link it to something meaningful.” Emphasis mine. Next time get the best of both worlds, even if it requires hiring an “artist”.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

It's not perfect but there it is. It ain't changing over night, and honestly, none of the tweaks that I've seen posted aren't all that great. There. It's out there. Bitch at will.

But even you know that wordmark is canned ass.

Agreed and high fived.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

?We wanted to do something that authenticated the name Winnipeg Jets,? said True North chairman Mark Chipman, ?rather than just a new artist?s take on it, we wanted to link it to something meaningful.? Emphasis mine. Next time get the best of both worlds, even if it requires hiring an ?artist?.

Not having read the original quote in context, I didn't take away from it that they didn't want to hire an artist.

They obviously had one - this logo didn't spring fully formed from the head of Zeus - but from his quote I gather that they wanted to use the roundel as a starting point, not a blank piece of paper.

If you're comparing "rush-jobs" ... this set for the Winnipeg Jets is BRILLIANT compared to the thrown-together awfulness that is the Oklahoma City Thunder!!!

And I still contend that the greatest Rush job of all time has to be drummer.

Addressing the topic at hand, I'm good with the logo. Wordmark leaves some room for improvement but I've pretty much given up on the notion that any sports programme at any level is going to ever put forth a complete package that lives up to the expectations and standards of our community. Not an excuse by any means, just a concession.

Wow, these logos are bad . . . i don't like the roundel. Just too complicated. The secondary logo is ok for a military team, not a hockey one. And the wordmark? Pure ugliness!

A circle is too complicated........

If you're comparing "rush-jobs" ... this set for the Winnipeg Jets is BRILLIANT compared to the thrown-together awfulness that is the Oklahoma City Thunder!!!

And I still contend that the greatest Rush job of all time has to be drummer.

That was a rather peart remark...

I can haz sig?

Listen, time stands still when it comes to stuff like this, and we can argue until 2112 about how these things look. Eventually we can all see through the trees to come to some form of consensus, regardless of how many slings and arrows are flying around.

Besides, yh makes the big money so I'm inclined to agree.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Listen, time stands still when it comes to stuff like this, and we can argue until 2112 about how these things look. Eventually we can all see through the trees to come to some form of consensus, regardless of how many slings and arrows are flying around.

Besides, yh makes the big money so I'm inclined to agree.

Well done.

If this were the NBA, the secondary logo would listed as the Primary because it includes the team city and nickname. The primary logo would be listed as the Secondary. You would never see the current secondary with the sticks and wings.

Everyone loves a roundel.

If this were the NBA, the secondary logo would listed as the Primary because it includes the team city and nickname. The primary logo would be listed as the Secondary. You would never see the current secondary with the sticks and wings.

Yep. The NBA's logo system sure is bizarre.

Makes the NHL look like a world-class organization, which is no mean feat.

Because of how logos are designated? You're joking, right?

Anyway, this logo looks great on a cap, but unfortunately they aren't a minor league baseball team. It looks ok on those jerseys (if they are the real ones).

Edit: I thought I was in the other Jets logo thread. Here is the picture of the Jets caps.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=78011&view=findpost&p=1598992

Yes, because several NBA teams have designated "primary" logos that they almost never use, just to avoid paying the NBA's logo redesign fee. That's the joke.

I'm overall ok with the logos. Secondary is great, wordmark sucks, and the primary is decent, but here's a couple small color changes I did to kind of help give it less of a clipart feel. Although the embroidered logos on those hats does make the logo look even that much better.

WinnipegJetsPrimaryUpdate.gif

And here they are with the jet/leaf raised a little more into the "notch" at the top, kind of centering it so it's not so much closer to the bottom of the white.

WinnipegJetsPrimaryUpdate2.gif

Anyway, this logo looks great on a cap, but unfortunately they aren't a minor league baseball team. It looks ok on those jerseys (if they are the real ones).

Edit: I thought I was in the other Jets logo thread. Here is the picture of the Jets caps.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=78011&view=findpost&p=1598992

Bummer. Merchandise already there. Was hoping for a Portland Timbers thing where the outrage trickled back to the organization and they refined the logo.

Archived