What Sports Story Would YOU Like To See on the Big Screen?

knnhrvy16

With the recent release of Moneyball, I got to thinking about other sports stories I'd like to see portrayed in a big-time movie, and thought this could make for a cool thread.

Pretty simple - are there any sports stories regarding any team, event, player, coach, or other that you want to see told on the big screen? Any era, any sport!

I'll start off with a few of mine (the first three are admitted homer picks, but I have others unrelated to Utah as well! :D)

- The 2004 Utah Utes football team. The original BCS Busters, the Utes defied the odds by becoming the first non-AQ team to appear in a BCS bowl, winning the Fiesta Bowl against Pittsburgh. I think that aspect, along with it being the catapult that shoots Urban Meyer into stardom (perhaps he's the main character?) and featuring an unlikely, "underdog" Heisman candidate in Alex Smith, would make for a fantastic film.

- I'd LOVE to see a film adaptation of the late Jazz owner, Larry H. Miller's career as owner. He took over a team that was struggling in a small market, and turned them into winners and an incredibly stable franchise. He's the reason the Jazz are still in Utah today, no doubt. He had a fascinating story and his leadership of the Jazz remains legendary to this day here in Utah. He remains a state icon, and I believe a movie portraying his story would show the rest of the world why. I'm thinking Phillip Seymour Hoffman for the role. He'd be absolutely perfect. And, they'd have to include (preferrably as the climax) the Stockton shot against Houston in 1997. The story wouldn't be complete without the highest point in Jazz history.

- 2009 Real Salt Lake. The unlikeliest MLS Cup champs in league history and merely a couple of years removed from relocation threats, the story of RSL's crazy run is ripe with material. Also, I think a soccer movie would do the sport well here in the States, and U.S. soccer has few stories better to portray than this one, IMHO.

- The 1997 Florida Marlins team. Five year old team winning the World Series? And in the fashion in which they did it (arguably one of the greatest World Series' ever)? I'd watch that. I guess the 2001 Diamondbacks, in that regard, could fit the same story as well.

- Roberto Clemente's story, or at the very least, his efforts in the 1971 World Series. His story is so fascinating that I think alot could be taken to make a great movie out of.

- This would probably never happen because of how intensely private he is, but a look at Sandy Koufax's final season would be interesting. His quiet defiance of odds (winning the Cy Young while pitching with terrible arthritis) would be an intriguing story to watch, especially considering that hardly anyone outside of baseball die-hards know of what he was really going through.

-

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Homer pick: Boise State's story would lend itself to a great movie, whether it's a fictionalized recreation or a straight-up documentary. The program's quick rise from a little-known junior college to a national power with yearly BCS aspirations, complete with moments like Statue Left, the Riddler, and *sigh* Brotzman's misses against Nevada, and characters like Kellen Moore (the quarterback nobody wanted) and Chris Petersen (the coach everyone wants), is tailor-made for the silver screen. And if BSU wins a national championship this year, the perfect ending will have already been written.

I think the NBA lockout would be ripe for movie material as well. Maybe one envisioning an alternate future where the players actually try to start a players' league?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Homer pick: Boise State's story would lend itself to a great movie, whether it's a fictionalized recreation or a straight-up documentary. The program's quick rise from a little-known junior college to a national power with yearly BCS aspirations, complete with moments like Statue Left, the Riddler, and *sigh* Brotzman's misses against Nevada, and characters like Kellen Moore (the quarterback nobody wanted) and Chris Petersen (the coach everyone wants), is tailor-made for the silver screen. And if BSU wins a national championship this year, the perfect ending will have already been written.

I think the NBA lockout would be ripe for movie material as well. Maybe one envisioning an alternate future where the players actually try to start a players' league?

I always said I thought the 2006 Boise State Broncos would make a great movie. You actually said what I was going to say.

Also, how about a movie about Coo Papa Bell? He was one hell of a player, and probably the most interesting person next to Satchel in the Negro Leagues.

Along the lines of other moderately obscure baseball stars, how about King Kelly? If you don't know who he is, look him up. The first true baseball star, and a riot to boot. That would be one hell of a role for someone like Will Ferrell to play.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

The 1948 Calgary Stampeders

Undefeated in the regular season and the playoffs

Only the 72 Dolphins have done that as well.

But the Stamps did it first

But as awesome as that was the bigger story for the Big Screen would be Calgarians traveling mostly by train to the Grey Cup and turning it into a party that continues today.

Here's the roster of that team-

Adams, Dave

Anderson, Chuck

Anderson, Harry

Aquirre, Johnny

Berry, Dave

Brook, Tom

Carter, Norm

Chikowsky, Chick

Dobbin, Jim

Grogan, Jack

Gyles, Ced

Hanson, Fritz

Hill, Norm

Hood, Harry*

Innone, Bert*

Irving, Harry

Kliewer, Cliff

Kwong, Normie

Lear, Les

Leatham, Bob

Ludwig, Rube*

McGill, Jack*

McGillis, Archie

Mitchener, Jim, Dr.

Pantages, Rod

Porteous, Frank

Pullar, Bill

Rowe, Paul

Sherriff, Bill

Singer, Rudy

Spaith, Keith

Strode, Woody

Thodos, Pete

Tomlinson, Dave

Wilmot, Fred

Wusyk, Bill

Some of you may recognize a few names on that list-including these two (But possibly others)

-Normie Kwong had quite a CFL career--mostly with the Eskimos unfortunately--but went on to become the 16th Lieutenant Governor of Alberta. He was formerly one of the owners of the Calgary Flames and was also the GM & President of the STampeders int eh late 80's/early 90's

-Woody Strode went to Hollywood and became an actor.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

The 1989/90 Milwaukee Bucks or any team like them.

Why? Just because I want to see a story about a normal team, because I worked for a normal team and can tell you how special even that can be.

The 89/90 Bucks finished 44-38 and got beat 3-1 in the first round by the Chicago Bulls.

Nothing special about this team, just an average team with a very normal story to tell, but I would really like to see it brought in a very microcosmic detail. I don't think people really appreciate just how hard it is to win a championship and just how special it is to be on a team that is capable of doing it. Most of it is just pure luck and you don't realize that until you actually take a look at all the teams that don't win it, and there's way more of them out there then those that do. You don't get that call. You don't play your best game when you need to. Somebody on the other team steps up that your not ready for. I don't think people out there realize just how small the difference is between '81 49ers and the '81 Chargers is. I guarantee you Dan Fouts looks at someone like Joe Montana and says that could very easily have been me giving birth to a dynasty had one or two things had gone my way that went his.

The best team usually does win, but sometimes fate takes on a far bigger role then it should perhaps. You can do everything right leading up to a game and lose to a team worse then you by double digits. Likewise you can do everything wrong and still come away with a win in a game that had no business even being close. The margin between victory and defeat at that level is much smaller then the vasy majority of people give it credit for.

The A's from the early 70s would be a great movie or mini-series topic.

Maybe the Kentucky basketball point-shaving scandal from the early 50s. Kind of like Eight Men Out.

Or a biopic about Walter Payton or Brett Favre. Lots of fodder on both.

This hasn't happened yet, but how about the story of the first active openly-gay player in one of the four major sports? It would probably be like Brokeback Mountain meets 61*.

If you all don't mind, I thought of a few more:

- The 1969 Amazin' Mets! I can't believe I forgot about them the first time around.

- 1944 St. Louis Browns. With many of baseball's stars fighting in the war overseas, the Browns (along with many teams) were forced to compile teams of either has-beens or unknowns. This, coupled with the usual basement dwelling of the Browns, provided the backdrop for a usually untold underdog story as the Browns shockingly won the '44 AL pennant.

- Josh Hamilton's story could make for an amazing film. The whole "rise and fall...and rise" aspect of his career is fascinating, and I'd love to see how his Home Run Derby performance would be portrayed on film, especially.

- Hank Greenberg's return from war service, and his efforts in helping the 1945 Tigers to the World Series. Few people know just how truly fascinating Greenberg's career story is, and the 1945 title along with his war service is something that could make for an interesting story. He was directly responsible for thier pennant (game-winning home run on, I think, the last game of the season), so there's your climax.

- The "Go-Go" White Sox of 1959. A team built on speed and "smallball" in an increasingly power-reliant era wins a surprising pennant. Not quite Moneyball-like in theory, but the uncommonality of the team is relatable. It'd be great to see how figures like Al Lopez, Nellie Fox, Early Wynn, Minnie Minoso, and Luis Aparicio would be portrayed.

- The A's of 1929-1931-ish. Possibly the greatest teams in baseball history, but because of the aura of "Murderer's Row", nobody knows it. There's a good, catchy story, I think.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

This hasn't happened yet, but how about the story of the first active openly-gay player in one of the four major sports? It would probably be like Brokeback Mountain meets 61*.

it was great on Broadway.

Take_Me_Out__Broadway.JPG

They could do the Glenn Burke story he invented the High Five, dated Tommy Lasorda's son and was drummed out of baseball by Billy Martin.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The 2008 Lions

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't think there's been a movie about Satchel Paige.

It's strange -- he might have been the best pitcher in organized baseball, and he was pitching semi-pro ball in Bismarck, N.D. My dad talked about going to see games Paige pitched in Bismarck, and he said there were crowds outside the stadium, sitting on the railroad tressel overlooking the ballpark, watching Satchel pitch.

I don't think there's been a movie about Satchel Paige.

It's strange -- he might have been the best pitcher in organized baseball, and he was pitching semi-pro ball in Bismarck, N.D. My dad talked about going to see games Paige pitched in Bismarck, and he said there were crowds outside the stadium, sitting on the railroad tressel overlooking the ballpark, watching Satchel pitch.

Actually there was a TV movie about old Satchel with Louis Gosset Jr.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082277/

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived