2011 NBA Free Agency

hettinger_rl

How does $8 million translate into low-risk? Good lord.

And remember, this is now that the economics of the NBA have been "fixed". Among other things, judging by the past couple days.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does $8 million translate into low-risk? Good lord.

It is low risk because it is for just one year, plus it was their qualifying offer they made to him before the lockout.

Honestly, he needs to meet with the Suns medical staff as they seem to be able to rehab more people better than most teams.

Someday soon Oden's going to retire and laugh his ass all the way to the bank while Portland internally points fingers. The guy's had a dozen surgeries or more on his legs, and it seems like there's constant setbacks with recovery. There's no way in hell that investment will pay off.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Someday soon Oden's going to retire and laugh his ass all the way to the bank while Portland internally points fingers. The guy's had a dozen surgeries or more on his legs, and it seems like there's constant setbacks with recovery. There's no way in hell that investment will pay off.

Risk is always on the team.

As an athlete, specifically a very tall one, what else does he have? He left tOSU for the money (rightfully so), so he can start his degree program, but what else does he really know outside of basketball and being told, "yes"? Take the money and then try to live a live afterward. Bill Walton had to play and has told Luke to quit a year ago. Sam Bowie had to play. Oden signs to play to because the CBA has his money guaranteed and it assist his future generations. In this case for Oden, it IS worth the $$.

Fantastic day for the Celtics they trade Big Baby for Bass, are close to signing David West, acquired Keyon Dooling and signed Chris Wilcox.

According to RealGM, the Hornets would receive Jermaine O'Neal and "another player" from Boston in the sign-and-trade, with O'Neal then being possibly sent to another team. Are the Hornets going to package him in a possible Paul trade?

Fantastic day for the Celtics they trade Big Baby for Bass, are close to signing David West, acquired Keyon Dooling and signed Chris Wilcox.

There seems to be a PF logjam, though.

Kevin Garnett

Brandon Bass

David West

Chris Wilcox

JuJuan Johnson.

Either Ainge and Doc are hoping one of these guys can play center or there's a few more tricks up Ainge's sleeve.

Whenever you sign Chris Wilcox it is not a good day. Glad you took from us, you'll hate him.

Detroit Falcons (NABL) | Detroit Gears (UFL)

Question on the whole Chris Paul thing. Isn't their a bit of a major conflict of interest in letting all the owners veto Hornets deals like that? Or indeed any say? Shouldn't the owners have appointed some guy to administer the Hornets as a de facto owner? Bad show IMO from the league, however you view the trade.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Question on the whole Chris Paul thing. Isn't their a bit of a major conflict of interest in letting all the owners veto Hornets deals like that? Or indeed any say? Shouldn't the owners have appointed some guy to administer the Hornets as a de facto owner? Bad show IMO from the league, however you view the trade.

In theory, the NBA did just that when they appointed Jac Sperling (former exec with the NHL's Wild, BTW) to run the team. In practice, as long as the other 29 teams are actually picking up the Hornets' tab, there is simply no way around the conflict of interest.

CCSLC signature.png

According to RealGM, the Hornets would receive Jermaine O'Neal and "another player" from Boston in the sign-and-trade, with O'Neal then being possibly sent to another team. Are the Hornets going to package him in a possible Paul trade?

The another player is either Jeff Green or Avery Bradley, according to some sources. It appears that Paul isn't coming to Bostn and Rondo is staying.

~~~~~

There seems to be a PF logjam, though.

Kevin Garnett

Brandon Bass

David West

Chris Wilcox

JuJuan Johnson.

Either Ainge and Doc are hoping one of these guys can play center or there's a few more tricks up Ainge's sleeve.

Whenever you sign Chris Wilcox it is not a good day. Glad you took from us, you'll hate him.

We'll have KG, West and Bass in front of him on the depth chart. He'll be doing garbage time and not much else.

spacer.png

ESPN's Marc Stein is reporting that the Paul/Lakers/Rockets trade has been resubmitted to the league with a few changes. The exact changes aren't known just yet, but there are changes and it has been resubmitted for approval.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

ESPN's Marc Stein is reporting that the Paul/Lakers/Rockets trade has been resubmitted to the league with a few changes. The exact changes aren't known just yet, but there are changes and it has been resubmitted for approval.

If the Hornets still get Kevin Martin and Luis Scola, I'll like this deal for them. Sure, they lose their franchise player, but Scola and Martin are underrated.

spacer.png

I don't think Stern will be commissioner for much longer after the Chris Paul debacle...I'm a fan of a small-market team and don't like teams like the Lakers getting more big names, yet I think it was a terrible idea to veto the Paul trade. It's one of the worst ideas to do just after ratifying a new CBA. On top of that, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom remain Lakers.

What I don't get is, why veto this trade when I think it actually makes the Lakers worse on the court. I don't see this trade alone magically transforming the Lakers into a rolling death machine.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

With this whole Chris Paul fiasco, the NBA has absolutely no credibility whatsoever. If they own a team isn't that alone conflict of interest? The NBA and other owners should have no say so over what the Hornets do. If the league doesn't allow trades to happen for "whatever" reason, then there is clearly questionable tactics that need to be explained to everyone. If it's turned down because it's violating a rule, then I can see it. The league nor other teams, should not have any say so over a trade whatsoever. If a team wants to make a stupid trade, then let them. The league needs to let the GM run the team as he sees fit and not as "they" see fit.

I don't think Stern will be commissioner for much longer after the Chris Paul debacle...I'm a fan of a small-market team and don't like teams like the Lakers getting more big names, yet I think it was a terrible idea to veto the Paul trade. It's one of the worst ideas to do just after ratifying a new CBA. On top of that, Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom remain Lakers.

What I don't get is, why veto this trade when I think it actually makes the Lakers worse on the court. I don't see this trade alone magically transforming the Lakers into a rolling death machine.

There's only one answer: David Stern is a lunatic.

spacer.png

Because we all know it will be inevitably followed up by the Lakers grossly ending up with Dwight Howard... unless the Nets' trade for him doesn't get shut down over those tampering accusations.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Because we all know it will be inevitably followed up by the Lakers grossly ending up with Dwight Howard... unless the Nets' trade for him doesn't get shut down over those tampering accusations.

The Lakers getting Dwight Howard would be the only way that this trade would turn into a net positive for them. Because if CP3 is all they get, they'll be the exact opposite of what the Knicks currently are: Amazing guards, [Lamar Odom]puddin[/Lamar Odom] for forwards.

Kobe & CP3 would make them a 100% playoff team (and be pretty awesome to watch), but they wouldn't be contending for a title.

I really hate all these stars making their own trios these days. Small market teams just can't compete, which is unfortunate.

This is why I think Stern blocked the deal, and I agree. The Lakers are already contenders and a large market team, the Hornets are a small market team and it is the league's best interest to have all teams be at their most competitive level. Stern wants younger guys with potential and draft picks going to New Orleans if they are to give up their superstar, not Lamar Odom (though Scola/Martin is a decent package) just so salaries can work out.

Archived