New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

As far as "realistic" situations go, if they decide to change from Hornets, what will their thinking be? Would they be looking at generic names that aren't represented in professional sports, or reaching for a nickname that only NOLA residents would understand without Wikipedia? Or maybe they'd like seeing unique names that would set them apart but aren't really tied to NOLA? For instance, would "Knights" or "Demons"(despite the play on NO Saints) jump out at them before "Krewe" or "Rogues", and how would they see "Spiders" or "Rhinos"?

I almost feel that they'd want a unique yet previously used name that doesn't focus too closely on just NOLA. They'd be able to tie any name to the area in their press release, and sell some people on it being a regional name. That may be the wrong decision for them, but I think those names would seem to them to be their best options.

I'm thinking along those lines, names like "Navigators", "Dragons", "Scorpions", "and maybe "Pilots" would be looked at along with historic name "Buccaneers" despite Tampa Bay and the Milwaukee Bucks. Am I nuts?

how about reviving old american basketball association new orleans buccaneers

I would love that. I think it would go over very well with the fans...but you've got the Milwuakee Bucks already in the NBA. Plus I can't see a Saints owner calling his basketball team the Buccaneers.

My top 3 realistic choices would be:

[1] Pilots

[2] Brass

[3] Rogues

Yes the Buccanners name can be nuked lulz

Which is sad because of a history with the name. I also would love Privateers but the University of New Orleans uses that. So that's another out of the question name.

If they want to go the pirate route, Corsairs is the best choice.

Is "Cutthroats" too violent?

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would love that. I think it would go over very well with the fans...but you've got the Milwuakee Bucks already in the NBA. Plus I can't see a Saints owner calling his basketball team the Buccaneers.

[1] Pilots

[2] Brass

[3] Rogues

Which is sad because of a history with the name. I also would love Privateers but the University of New Orleans uses that. So that's another out of the question name.

So tell me why Pilots would be a good name for NOLA it just doe not seem to fit the mold but that's me.

There's a big ole river that goes right through the city. River pilots serve a very important function to the shipping traffic up and down the river. Makes loads of sense.

New-Orleans-2.jpg

gYH2mW9.png

As far as "realistic" situations go, if they decide to change from Hornets, what will their thinking be? Would they be looking at generic names that aren't represented in professional sports, or reaching for a nickname that only NOLA residents would understand without Wikipedia? Or maybe they'd like seeing unique names that would set them apart but aren't really tied to NOLA? For instance, would "Knights" or "Demons"(despite the play on NO Saints) jump out at them before "Krewe" or "Rogues", and how would they see "Spiders" or "Rhinos"?

I almost feel that they'd want a unique yet previously used name that doesn't focus too closely on just NOLA. They'd be able to tie any name to the area in their press release, and sell some people on it being a regional name. That may be the wrong decision for them, but I think those names would seem to them to be their best options.

I'm thinking along those lines, names like "Navigators", "Dragons", "Scorpions", "and maybe "Pilots" would be looked at along with historic name "Buccaneers" despite Tampa Bay and the Milwaukee Bucks. Am I nuts?

Navigators...MAYBE. Dragons or Scorpions? You're definitely nuts.

Possibly. It just seems too minor-league to me.

Tom Benson has already stated that he would like a name that relates to the city and region. So I don't think you'll see random names like Knights, Spiders or Dragons thrown out there too much.

gYH2mW9.png

[1] Pilots

[2] Brass

[3] Rogues

If they want to go the pirate route, Corsairs is the best choice.

Cutthroats is just a bit too out there. I don't think they'd go something like Dragons or Scorpions. That's just not something that would make much sense. Knights is generic, but not amateurish. Still thought Brooklyn should've gone with that. I also think Navigators would be great a well.

I also think Navigators would be great a well.

Thinking more about it, I'm not sure how much I like "Navigators." Not too fond of the alliteration "New Orleans Navigators," and it ends up being a fairly long name too.

Navigators would be the Navs I bet.

Off the top of my head is "New Orleans Wards". I just remember hearing that over and over again with Katrina and though it was a pretty unique name for neighborhood (not sure what other cities use that term). Could be a way to embrace the whole city. Just throwing it out there.

"Wards New Orleans"

There's a big ole river that goes right through the city. River pilots serve a very important function to the shipping traffic up and down the river. Makes loads of sense.

You are right about the pilots and what they do. One lives across the street from me (and incidentally, he is hosting a crawfish boil this evening after work that I am looking forward to ^_^ ).

However, there are a few problems with the name "Pilots". First of all, I dare say it is rather esoteric in the regard you mean for it, even in New Orleans. The majority of locals (and most everyone else in North America) will assume aircraft Pilots upon hearing the name, not river pilots. Secondarily, I'm not so sure about what's so heroic or inspiring about river pilots. Over the past few years there has been quite a bit of media backlash and discussion about how to get a river pilot job (that pays upwards of $300,000 per year), you need to be politically connected, and that it's run as a good old boy network. Finally, imagery may be problematic. The only thing that comes to mind for river "Pilots" is a ship's wheel. A river depth chart? You can't use an old steamboat, a sailing clipper, but you could use a modern tanker ship or container vessel, which would not be particularly inspiring.

Not trying to shoot you down, just looking at it objectively....

It is what it is.

New Orleans Yats

It refers to both the dialect of New Orleans which is somewhat close to a New York accent (listen to this :

)and the people that speak it. It comes from the expression, "Where you at?" a greeting meaning "How you doing?" Most of the time you watch TV shows or movies set in New Orleans where everyone has an outrageous Cajun accent (ex. The Big Easy). Yat is how they really talk. Cajun would be from out in the country. Yeah, it is super duper local.

I'll see ya'll later, I'll be making groceries in a minute.

Well, that link may be more or a subdued version of New Orleans accent. Yats tend to be more exaggerated. I imagine there is no chance for that name but I felt like dropping in that flavor before we get more po'boy and crawdad suggestions.

I also think Navigators would be great a well.

Thinking more about it, I'm not sure how much I like "Navigators." Not too fond of the alliteration "New Orleans Navigators," and it ends up being a fairly long name too.

Navigators would be the Navs I bet.

Off the top of my head is "New Orleans Wards". I just remember hearing that over and over again with Katrina and though it was a pretty unique name for neighborhood (not sure what other cities use that term). Could be a way to embrace the whole city. Just throwing it out there.

"Wards New Orleans"

Chicago does too. It's actually a pretty common civic term for neighborhoods. That said, referencing the 9th Ward would probably be bad form.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

how about reviving old american basketball association new orleans buccaneers or utah jazz could just give back jazz to new orleans and utah becomes utah stars like they had it spell in wnba

*STAB* *STAB* *STAB* *STAB* *STAB* *STAB*

WHO ELSE WANTS SOME?!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

[1] Pilots

[2] Brass

[3] Rogues

So tell me why Pilots would be a good name for NOLA it just doe not seem to fit the mold but that's me.

New-Orleans-2.jpg

Ok I understand that and it makes sense I'm just not sure how well that will translate nationally !!! People will think aero something more NC .

#DTWD #GoJaguars

"Wards New Orleans"

It also has a fun double meaning: since the Hornets went so long without a real owner, they've been wards of the NBA.

I really like Knights as the name of a top tier professional team. It could certainly work in New Orleans, with its cultural ties to France. So far though, that's been the only name suggested that I think would be an improvement over Hornets.

Crawdads is still better than Bobcats.

It wouldn't be a horrible thing to see something along the lines of New Orleans Riverpilots or something like that - makes sense.

I don't know if this has been suggested, but would it be a horrible thing to see the old days of same-city nicknames return? New York Giants did it, as did a few others, I think.

New Orleans Saints for the NBA team too, maybe with some different colors?

Archived