New Orleans ditching Hornets name?

yauger72

Stern said the name wasn't moving...so he'll probably end up moving the teams. He think it's important to rotate them around so they stay fresh :)

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hornets is not a bad name, but it should have stayed in Charlotte. There are many great names you use in New Orleans, here are a few.

New Orleans Cajuns

New Orleans Gators

New Orleans Possum

New Orleans Spirits

and taking from the AFL

New Orleans Voodoo

POSSUM?

New Orleans not really known for its possum population. That's more rural South.

Now, raccoons-- that's a different story. I live in a very developed, rather urban suburb of New Orleans and we've got those all over the place....

Well I live in Uptown and have a possum living in my backyard. Score! They should name the team after the most vile, vicious, and inhumane force in this city: The New Orleans Parking Police.

Hornets is not a bad name, but it should have stayed in Charlotte. There are many great names you use in New Orleans, here are a few.

New Orleans Cajuns

New Orleans Gators

New Orleans Possum

New Orleans Spirits

and taking from the AFL

New Orleans Voodoo

Not a fan. VooDoo is the only one that works IMO but I'd rather keep the AFL team the VooDoo.

I still think we need something nautical-themed for New Orleans. On other message boards, I've seen some people want a rebirth of the New Orleans Breakers name. Someone even put together uniforms using the old USFL design that looked pretty decent.

gYH2mW9.png

I know I'll get hammered by the traditionalist and Europhobes but once again I'll throw out there that they should just be "New Orleans" without a nickname. New Orleans says it all.

That's a great idea - if they're not concerned about little things like merchandise sales.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

New Orleans Cajuns

New Orleans Gators

New Orleans Possum

New Orleans Spirits

and taking from the AFL

New Orleans Voodoo

POSSUM?

possummmmssss-o.gif

Sooo Goood!

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I know I'll get hammered by the traditionalist and Europhobes but once again I'll throw out there that they should just be "New Orleans" without a nickname. New Orleans says it all.

Why are we Europhobes for wanting to go the naming route that WE use? Maybe switching to a European style name is being an Ameriphobe. Look, Europeans can name their teams however they want. We have our own way, and unless it's MLS, this just doesn't cut it.

Fake or not ?

531167_3788233714859_1547565216_33208462_617281019_n.jpg

Definitely fake. The name is spelt wrong....

...it's spelt Archangels

The irony cannot be overlooked.

Ah, you just highlighted two correctly spelled words? I don't think irony means what you think it means...

tigercatssignature-1.png

Why are we Europhobes for wanting to go the naming route that WE use? Maybe switching to a European style name is being an Ameriphobe. Look, Europeans can name their teams however they want. We have our own way, and unless it's MLS, this just doesn't cut it.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to use a naming route that's traditionally American. What I meant by the Europhobe comment was that every time I suggest not using a nickname for a team (before this I suggested the Brooklyn Nets simply be "Brooklyn"), people on the board are up in arms saying this isn't soccer and this isn't Europe. Soccer and Europe aside, I think that New Orleans itself has great cachè and could be cool to use alone. That's all.

I don't think it even cuts it with the MLS. Lord knows I use that fact the wack the soccersnobs over the head with it at every opportunity. It makes the league look like a bunch of Eurowannabes, instead of North American...

tigercatssignature-1.png

I don't think it even cuts it with the MLS. Lord knows I use that fact the wack the soccersnobs over the head with it at every opportunity. It makes the league look like a bunch of Eurowannabes, instead of North American...

Yeah, how dare those MLS clubs try to look like they're from a country that actually knows something about the game! :P

The New Orleans Captains?

I'm actually liking that the more I think about it...it's nautical but self-standing. Obviously would be silly to have a captain of the Captains but eh why not?

Actually Pilots would work as a nautical theme, as in the river pilots that guide ships in and out of the Mississippi.

Resurrecting Breakers doesn't work so well. New Orleans is on a river and a lake so there are no breakers to speak of.

What about New Orleans Crescents?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I'm actually liking that the more I think about it...it's nautical but self-standing. Obviously would be silly to have a captain of the Captains but eh why not?

Actually Pilots would work as a nautical theme, as in the river pilots that guide ships in and out of the Mississippi.

Resurrecting Breakers doesn't work so well. New Orleans is on a river and a lake so there are no breakers to speak of.

I've stated before that I think Pilots would be a great name for the team. Captains would also work well. I would really like to see a nautical theme.

gYH2mW9.png

You'd know more than me. Is it still called the Crescent City?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived