2013 NFL uniform/logo changes

seahawk9

I agree with this. Do those holes really need to be there or are they there to either make the helmet look "kewl" or to advertise the helmet to colleges/highschools/pop warner players? Partly because I am on old fuddy duddy, but partly for the integrity of the logos, I'd rather the helmets be designed around the logos. They should never have designed a helmet that caused the Vikings to have to bastardize their 50-year old helmet desig

While I am all for good visual design as a parent when it comes to the "design" of a helmet I think the most important factor is protection and not how a logo looks on it.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with this. Do those holes really need to be there or are they there to either make the helmet look "kewl" or to advertise the helmet to colleges/highschools/pop warner players? Partly because I am on old fuddy duddy, but partly for the integrity of the logos, I'd rather the helmets be designed around the logos. They should never have designed a helmet that caused the Vikings to have to bastardize their 50-year old helmet desig

While I am all for good visual design as a parent when it comes to the "design" of a helmet I think the most important factor is protection and not how a logo looks on it.

i think we all agree there. but whats being questioned is the effectiveness of the vent on the Speed. i could see how it forces air into the helmet when the player is in motion, but as far as construction, comfort, protection goes i dont think its necessary, unless someone can tell me im wrong there. i mean, i didnt design the damn thing. Ridell knew the issues they would have with certain applications. but perhaps thats still on the teams themselves, because Ridel does offer alternate designs that are just as good

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I agree with this. Do those holes really need to be there or are they there to either make the helmet look "kewl" or to advertise the helmet to colleges/highschools/pop warner players? Partly because I am on old fuddy duddy, but partly for the integrity of the logos, I'd rather the helmets be designed around the logos. They should never have designed a helmet that caused the Vikings to have to bastardize their 50-year old helmet design.

In fairness to Roman's point, the Dolphins probably should make this a consideration, but the thing that bothers me the most is the "kewl" helmet design to begin with. Or am I wrong? Is there some kind of advantage? I'd rather see the Riddel and Bike design (with the round ear holes) from the 80s.

No matter what Riddell might say, I don't see any way those holes add to the protection factor. They might provide air and slightly reduce the helmet weight, but the primary factor is likely to brand the helmet. I could buy that the back ridge on the Revo (which I always hated) is somehow functional in strengthening the helmet, but I don't think the air holes could be, based on the construction around it.

Of course, safety is important. While the Revo Speed is undoubtedly lighter, I think claims that it is x% safer than other helmets are spurious. Until anyone presents a case that is so compelling that we change everything we know and completely lose the idea of branded helmets with logos, we should stop using designs that screw up logos. We shouldn't destoy the visual identity of teams just so players can maybe be slightly more comfortable.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think others have made my point for me, but yeah, safety first. I was questioning the value of it and I suspect (though I admit I really don't know) that these design features are more about marketing then safety or even functionality. Is there a functional advantage to earholes that are not round?

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Can the next person who quotes that insanely huge image (which is only a concept and doesn't even belong here) be banned please?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree with this. Do those holes really need to be there or are they there to either make the helmet look "kewl" or to advertise the helmet to colleges/highschools/pop warner players? Partly because I am on old fuddy duddy, but partly for the integrity of the logos, I'd rather the helmets be designed around the logos. They should never have designed a helmet that caused the Vikings to have to bastardize their 50-year old helmet design.

In fairness to Roman's point, the Dolphins probably should make this a consideration, but the thing that bothers me the most is the "kewl" helmet design to begin with. Or am I wrong? Is there some kind of advantage? I'd rather see the Riddel and Bike design (with the round ear holes) from the 80s.

No matter what Riddell might say, I don't see any way those holes add to the protection factor. They might provide air and slightly reduce the helmet weight, but the primary factor is likely to brand the helmet. I could buy that the back ridge on the Revo (which I always hated) is somehow functional in strengthening the helmet, but I don't think the air holes could be, based on the construction around it.

Of course, safety is important. While the Revo Speed is undoubtedly lighter, I think claims that it is x% safer than other helmets are spurious. Until anyone presents a case that is so compelling that we change everything we know and completely lose the idea of branded helmets with logos, we should stop using designs that screw up logos. We shouldn't destoy the visual identity of teams just so players can maybe be slightly more comfortable.

I'd almost bet money those vents are there for a very important purpose - namely, to allow the shell to flex and prevent a compromising crack in that location. Similarly, the way the pads are placed in those helmets promotes allows for airflow from the vents on the crown to the rear vents with little obstruction.

The engineer-in-training in me sees exactly why they're there. It might be annoying to have decals like the Vikings's cut off, but there is no way in hell I'm going to compromise a product because of an addition to said product.

I think others have made my point for me, but yeah, safety first. I was questioning the value of it and I suspect (though I admit I really don't know) that these design features are more about marketing then safety or even functionality. Is there a functional advantage to earholes that are not round?

Absolutely. Now, I think the earhole is one area that the speed is taking advantage of for a distinguishable feature, but the triangular shape is much stronger when under the kind of point load a helmet will face. When the facemask is hit, that load is distributed across the helmet, and the triangular shape of the earhole will withstand that force better than a circle.

Now, a circle is the strongest shape, but that isn't the case when applied to the ridge/crease found in the Speed's jaw pad. Likewise, that's probably (or at least partly) why VSR-4s had a dome around the earhole. In that setting, the circular cutout is incredibly strong.

I kind of like what they did with the leaked logo (except for the color black, I would turn the bottom part navy... but the uniform concept is pure dreck.

Looks like South Beach choked on an Orca's dong at the Miami Seaquarium and barfed onto a uniform...

anybody see these on uniwatch?

[concept]

I love it. Sadly, what they'll actually wear is probably going to be boring, unimaginative, and billed as "classic." Hope I'm wrong though.

You're so off base here. Have you seen the leaked logos? What makes you think that logo, or any variation of it, will be associated with a traditional design?

Also you once again fall into the trap of assuming that if a look is traditionally styled it must be "boring" and "unimaginative."

you know what, there is something intriguing about these concepts, although they would probably look like garbage i real life...

8540290922_bde5f67d55_z.jpg

the water effect is a little too much as a primary color but as a helmet stripe, numbers, smaller detail it actually works.

The numbers and font...... I like.

The numbers I don't like--too awkward & I'm not sure how well white numbers on teal will work without more of an outline...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived