2014 FIFA World Cup

UnclearInitial

Wait, is FIFA pushing this monochrome thing? Why?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going back to the monochrome debate, here's the excerpt from the official World Cup Guidelines (from the top of page 44)

"Each team shall inform FIFA of two different and contrasting colours (one predominantly dark and one predominantly light kit) for its official and reserve team kit (shirt, shorts, and socks)."

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/01/47/38/17/regulationsfwcbrazil2014_en.pdf

So I get why Germany would have white shorts with the white jersey. But I don't understand why Spain is in all red. Blue shorts with the red jersey would still be predominantly dark. Also, how do Sweden and Denmark get away with the non-monochrome look? Does this mean that Brazil won't be in their iconic yellow shirts with blue shorts?

I see the FIFA guidelines, but they don't seem to be applied evenly across the board.

z9e0rqit393ojiizsemd0t1hx.gif74937881997.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)North Carolina Tar Heels (2015 - Pres)

Going back to the monochrome debate, here's the excerpt from the official World Cup Guidelines (from the top of page 44)

"Each team shall inform FIFA of two different and contrasting colours (one predominantly dark and one predominantly light kit) for its official and reserve team kit (shirt, shorts, and socks)."

So it seems like while it doesn't necessarily demand teams wear monochrome kits, a situation like Germany's white shirt and black shorts is a no-no. Unfortunate.

Of course, Spain's red seems pretty "dark" to me, so I don't see how their alternate can be black. We'll have to wait and see I guess, on the impact on them and other teams.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/01/47/38/17/regulationsfwcbrazil2014_en.pdf

Everyone, please do not read too much into the "predominantly dark and predominantly light" kit line. That rule has been in the regulations for years. The current wording has been in place since the 2010 WC, and before that it said "contrasting", which was just vague enough that you ended up with teams having, for example, a yellow kit and a white kit.

It is NOT new. FIFA is NOT suddenly mandating monochrome. Nike/adidas/Puma/et al have decided to go monochrome, not FIFA.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The only monochrome look I like is white on white on white. The US national team's white/white/white kits looked sharp. Would love to see the white hoops with white shorts.

I am just in disbelief over Spain's decision. I wonder what the actual Spain fans are thinking?

According to Marca, 60% of La Roja's supporters like the kits.

Anyways I think I like them.

6fQjS3M.png

The only monochrome look I like is white on white on white. The US national team's white/white/white kits looked sharp. Would love to see the white hoops with white shorts.

I am just in disbelief over Spain's decision. I wonder what the actual Spain fans are thinking?

According to Marca, 60% of La Roja's supporters like the kits.

Anyways I think I like them.

Wow, that's surprising. The most Germans can't really stand our new kit!

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Since the 2010 World Cup, FIFA is forcing the "away" team to use every piece with a different colour from every piece of the "away" team. If there's a game between Germany and New Zealand with Germany being the "home" team, FIFA would make Germany go all white and New Zealand go all black.

That's why Adidas is going all mono.

iexi8K.png

Since the 2010 World Cup, FIFA is forcing the "away" team to use every piece with a different colour from every piece of the "away" team. If there's a game between Germany and New Zealand with Germany being the "home" team, FIFA would make Germany go all white and New Zealand go all black.

...and generally I'm actually okay with this. I'm not a huge fan of when jersey elements from teams clash in general.

6fQjS3M.png

...and generally I'm actually okay with this. I'm not a huge fan of when jersey elements from teams clash in general.

Exactly my thought. I could live with such combination as it would be the most reasonable one in this case. However, there are not too many national teams with black kits so most of the time Germans should be able to use traditional shorts. In contrary to Spain they can be easily saved though. They can always use the shorts from the away kit if there is too much displeasure on the fans' side. I mean no manufacturer would deliberately annoy their customers. Actually, similar thing happened to Polish Nike kits in the last years when supporters' pressure made the manufacturer change their kits. First, obsidian away kit was replaced by a teamwear red kit because, unless facing Croatia or Paraguay, Poland should play only in white and red. A a year later when Polish coat of arms was replaced by the Polish FA logo, they had to include the former as well (for Nike's defence, it was purely FA's decision).

Pretty slick looking ball.

it will still probably get lots of complains by nike players, like the jubulani (sp?) did at the last world cup

lets hope for no voovoozelas (sp?)

Aye, for some reason Adidas tournament balls always seem to be lighter - or have a tendency to float and not come back down as much as regular balls. I remember a big thing over here in the media was a conspiracy theory that the Fevernova (2002) did this to hinder Beckham's free kicks - which is blatantly incorrect.

Bring back the Adidas Tango!

7395254.L.jpg

As far as I am aware, most stadiums outside of South Africa have banned the vuvuzelas anyway. I highly doubt we will see them at tournament football again.

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

Exactly my thought. I could live with such combination as it would be the most reasonable one in this case. However, there are not too many national teams with black kits so most of the time Germans should be able to use traditional shorts. In contrary to Spain they can be easily saved though. They can always use the shorts from the away kit if there is too much displeasure on the fans' side. I mean no manufacturer would deliberately annoy their customers. Actually, similar thing happened to Polish Nike kits in the last years when supporters' pressure made the manufacturer change their kits. First, obsidian away kit was replaced by a teamwear red kit because, unless facing Croatia or Paraguay, Poland should play only in white and red. A a year later when Polish coat of arms was replaced by the Polish FA logo, they had to include the former as well (for Nike's defence, it was purely FA's decision).

And it's not like a lot of teams aren't mixing and matching their shirt/short/sock combos anyway. Italy will normally wear blue/white/blue, but they've played in monochrome before. The "have a contrasting item for all clothing elements"-thing at the WC Finals isn't new.

I have every reason to believe that some team that the commentariat is freaking out over being monochrome will mix-&-match the home and away kit elements at some point.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived