2014 FIFA World Cup

UnclearInitial

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It appears that Adidas is trying to force their own ideas this year and they start mixing basketball with football (with respect to sleeves and monochromatic uniforms). I wonder if this strategy will pay off in terms of sales.

I saw the Mexico jersey today while I was shopping at Sports Authority. Good grief, those are just plain ugly.

For me, the German white/white looks great. Not sure if it's really losing anything not being black pants. However, I think the Italy (blue w/ blue) and the Spain (red w/ red) looks terrible.

I'm not a fan of chevrons. When Man Utd used them a few years back I thought those kits were butt ugly. The German ones are not terrible by any stretch, but for some reason they just don't look that good IMO. Germany in the typical white shirts, black shorts just looks right. They look mean and ruthless in those contrasting achromatic colours, not the bright white with red trim.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I saw the Mexico jersey today while I was shopping at Sports Authority. Good grief, those are just plain ugly.

For me, the German white/white looks great. Not sure if it's really losing anything not being black pants. However, I think the Italy (blue w/ blue) and the Spain (red w/ red) looks terrible.

What it loses is what it needs the most- an instant recognition as a Germany kit. The whole point of a sports uniform is to identify its wearers. If you lose that instant identification, you lose the reason behind the uniform. That kit just doesn't look like Germany if not with black shorts.

Some teams will get away with monochrome because they have gone with it every now and again. I can't think of Germany ever wearing white shorts with white shirts, before now.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

If 2010 was the world cup of sublimation, 2014 looks like the world cup of multiple tones of color patterns.

RE: Sainstsfan, Germany once wore all-white vs. Poland in 1974

I think it's very amusing to hear the excuses to change tradition: so far, Colombia's white short represent peace and Germany's represent "the lightness of German play".

07Giants.pngnyy.png

I love the new Germany shirts. Someone here said that Germany wanted to focus more on the chevron so they went with white shorts. I don't know if that's the actual reason, but I like the uniform as a whole a lot better than if there were black shorts. Not a fan of everyone going monochrome, but I actually like it in this case.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

There is hope for some matchups without monochrome. Argentina apparently has alternate black shorts and socks. We know Mexico has white shorts. Perhaps Germany and Spain have alternates as well?

Argentina2014Home2.jpg

By the way, I know those shorts aren't for the away kit because that is supposed to be a darker navy blue.

It's a fair assumption they'll have alternative shorts and socks for each kit, but whether they'll ever see the light of day is another matter.

I read somewhere that the German FA were very keen to use three shades of red on the chevron - they're apparently intended to signify the nation's three World Cup wins. I wouldn't have thought of that myself but there you go...

What it loses is what it needs the most- an instant recognition as a Germany kit. The whole point of a sports uniform is to identify its wearers. If you lose that instant identification, you lose the reason behind the uniform. That kit just doesn't look like Germany if not with black shorts.

Some teams will get away with monochrome because they have gone with it every now and again. I can't think of Germany ever wearing white shorts with white shirts, before now.

While I agree, I can see Germany out of those kits. Spain though, I see a 'red' team. I think the German look is easier to decipher than the Spain look. That's just me, though.

While I agree, I can see Germany out of those kits. Spain though, I see a 'red' team. I think the German look is easier to decipher than the Spain look. That's just me, though.

It seems to be the unpopular opinion, but I agree with this. If I was watching the game without seeing the TV graphics or the crest, I'd be able to tell that was Germany playing even with the white shorts.. I don't think I'd be able to do the same with Spain. Spain has also seemed to jump around a lot with their identity, even switching between different shades of each color. Personally, I like when they go brighter with red, royal blue, and yellow.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived