2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Am I the only one who loves the current Baltimore script? I don't feel every cursive needs to be flawed and hand drawn, this one looks nice and classy.

I'm a Nationals fan, which means I'm inclined to have a certain distain for the Orioles, but I think besides Pittsburgh and maybe Toronto they have the best roads in the league.

Washington Nationals/Montreal Expos: 45 Years, no World Series or pennant.

Chicago Bears: 1 NFL championship in the last 50 years.

When will my teams' futility end?

I'm not sure if this is a sign of things to come, but as part of the new Fox Sports graphic package Fox Sports South as well SportsSouth are using the Braves word mark without the tomahawk in certain animations. This along with the Braves introducing two new alternate uniforms that does not have the tomahawk makes me wonder if they are going to try to phase it out possibly before the new stadium opens in 2017.

Am I the only one who loves the current Baltimore script? I don't feel every cursive needs to be flawed and hand drawn, this one looks nice and classy.

I'm a Nationals fan, which means I'm inclined to have a certain distain for the Orioles, but I think besides Pittsburgh and maybe Toronto they have the best roads in the league.

This. Although I will go one step further and say that no cursive script needs to be flawed and hand drawn. Many will claim that those old imperfect hand drawn scripts are "organic" and "have more character". Lets remember, that they were designed in a time that was lacking the proper technology to achieve the clean, eye pleasing cursive scripts that are in use today. I'm almost positive that if the designers back in the day had the ability to clean up their cursive scripts like the ones nowadays are, they would have done it.

I'm not sure if this is a sign of things to come, but as part of the new Fox Sports graphic package Fox Sports South as well SportsSouth are using the Braves word mark without the tomahawk in certain animations. This along with the Braves introducing two new alternate uniforms that does not have the tomahawk makes me wonder if they are going to try to phase it out possibly before the new stadium opens in 2017.

I think they'll keep the tomahawk. It's not really offensive. It's no worse than a spear, or a sword, or some other historic weapon. They introduced an alternate logo with two tomahawks in it, and they still do the chant (with organ music) at home games. It's not really being phased out.

If the tomahawk was on the script-stars jersey, it'd look pretty bad.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

This. Although I will go one step further and say that no cursive script needs to be flawed and hand drawn. Many will claim that those old imperfect hand drawn scripts are "organic" and "have more character". Lets remember, that they were designed in a time that was lacking the proper technology to achieve the clean, eye pleasing cursive scripts that are in use today. I'm almost positive that if the designers back in the day had the ability to clean up their cursive scripts like the ones nowadays are, they would have done it.

See, I would argue that scripts that are too even, typeface-like, and "clean" are not eye-pleasing because they're too perfect. It feels like a sports design uncanny valley.

Cursive is by nature "hand drawn". They didn't make cursive typewriters (I think), they didn't have cursive printing presses (I think), and I don't know if there are any good cursive fonts (wouldn't it be hard to make a font when each letter might have different connectors dependng on what the following letter is?)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Although I don't think the tomahawk is racist or anything like that, I also don't believe it should be on the Braves uniforms. In person, the wordmark is nearly impossible to read with the triple-piping and the tomahawk further distracts from it. I wouldn't mind if Atlanta was to go with something that resembles a mix of their cream alternates and the throwbacks they wore the other day.

The 'a' logo match the regular 'Braves' wordmark.

As it should. There is no difference in shape between a capital cursive "A" and lower case.

They don't teach cursive in schools anymore I think. That's a shame. I'm surprised that people don't know it. I think it's a great element that baseball teams have kept for years.

Go A's!

I agree. Baltimore has the best unis in the AL (Could work on the black alt though)

They don't teach cursive in schools anymore I think. That's a shame. I'm surprised that people don't know it. I think it's a great element that baseball teams have kept for years.

We went in circles with this argument a few hundred posts ago. Some people say they were taught cursive in schools, others that they weren't. I personally was taught cursive in schools close to 20 years ago, but even then: 1) they didn't require us to be good at it, and 2) they stopped enforcing it after like a week, so almost everybody went back to printing. I didn't really start writing in cursive until college.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

We went in circles with this argument a few hundred posts ago. Some people say they were taught cursive in schools, others that they weren't. I personally was taught cursive in schools close to 20 years ago, but even then: 1) they didn't require us to be good at it, and 2) they stopped enforcing it after like a week, so almost everybody went back to printing. I didn't really start writing in cursive until college.

Yeah, I was taught and was never enforced to be good at it, but it was the preferred way of writing through high school.

Go A's!

. . . which is around the time I finally gave up on it. Since then, my handwriting has devolved into sort of a print/semi-cursive hybrid where some of the letters run together, but most don't.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I agree. Baltimore has the best unis in the AL (Could work on the black alt though)

The black alt is perfect when you picture an actual Oriole bird. White trim around the letters would ruin the look.

TX_BaltimoreOriole10.jpg

Orioles.jpg

No rumor to report, this is only a fashion cap, but with the Wahoo controversy coming front and center I think the return on the script I would make a decent home cap.

img_9999_180_6.jpg

I've never cared for the script I hat. In isolation from the rest of the Indians wordmark, I always read that character as a cursive 'J'. Anything is better than Chief Wahoo, though.

I don't think it needs to, but it certainly adds more charm and "life" to a script. The Orioles' home script and the Twins' road script don't look organic, but I still like them. That new Baltimore script though? It's hard to put into words, but it just looks so...forced. Too thin and too slanted.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

No rumor to report, this is only a fashion cap, but with the Wahoo controversy coming front and center I think the return on the script I would make a decent home cap.

img_9999_180_6.jpg

I've never cared for the script I hat. In isolation from the rest of the Indians wordmark, I always read that character as a cursive 'J'. Anything is better than Chief Wahoo, though.

Personally, I like the Chief Wahoo logo. I am so sick of all this political correctness!! It's a bunch of BS!!!

Archived