College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

A&M has been wearing glossy maroon helmets in practice this week. The past 2 years their maroon helmets have been a semi-matte shell. IDK know if they have moved away from the semi-matte completely or have another special helmet design coming up for the season opener vs South Carolina.

45165_zps3a7122a0.jpg

They've used the glossy helmets previously in practice. My guess is they want to keep the game helmets free from any scuffs. I know other schools practice with different helmets than they wear in the games as well.

maxresdefault.jpg

sportscarfskczps1d52136.png

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahhh, thanks for the info. Its funny to see how the NFL and NCAA are on completely opposite ends when it comes to perceived helmet safety. Some school have 4 different helmets (some that won't ever be worn until game day) while the NFL mandates that only one helmet should be used once its broken in.

While that is true. I also know that often schools with more than one helmet will wear the helmet they are going to wear that week in practice to make sure and break them in. I know oregon does that most of the time and even oregon state starting doing it last season with their new lids. I would imagine more teams do this as well and would seem to be a safe idea for the nfl if they ever were to change their rule.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Most of the time a team will try to break in the helmets at least a day or two prior to the games. But there are still times that the team is surprised with new gear in the locker rooms right before the games. But the equipment teams gather so much information regarding sizes and the fit of everything that it is easily replicated. That's the part that bugs me with the NFL's rule. It's pretty easy to replicate the results from helmet to helmet.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

Check out some of the 2014 NCAA Football Schedule Posters by various teams.

The Western Michigan Boat Rowers: the joke continues. They even missed a game on the schedule.

I was on the same high school track team as #33 on the poster, so it was cool to see him, though.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

Well, these NIU corn jerseys could certainly look worse:

cornfest-home-jersey.png

Still a mess, but these worked out a lot better than I thought they would. They're only wearing them for one game, anyway.

Not really a surprise that Adidas would come up with such a dumb idea for a jersey.

San Jose State also uses the stripe. I loved it when it debuted with Virginia Tech, tolerated it with Arizona, and now hate it since it's popped up on a million high school teams. Michigan State's font has also been overused to the point of being lame for me. (2 birds with one stone)

940x.jpg

As I scrolled past this photo I saw the helmet and thought "Dan Fouts era San Diego Chargers"

And then you thought "gosh, he'd look great in a monochrome uniform!"

Fresno State uses the vanishing stripe too, right?

SJSU looks decent in monochrome yellow (athletic gold), but I wish they stuck with the yellow facemasks instead of switching to gray. It's a great look on that helmet

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

San Jose State also uses the stripe. I loved it when it debuted with Virginia Tech, tolerated it with Arizona, and now hate it since it's popped up on a million high school teams. Michigan State's font has also been overused to the point of being lame for me. (2 birds with one stone)

940x.jpg

As I scrolled past this photo I saw the helmet and thought "Dan Fouts era San Diego Chargers"

And then you thought "gosh, he'd look great in a monochrome uniform!"

Fresno State uses the vanishing stripe too, right?

SJSU looks decent in monochrome yellow (athletic gold), but I wish they stuck with the yellow facemasks instead of switching to gray. It's a great look on that helmet

it's too bad they looked great in the late 90's with a simple steelers-esque sleeve stripes and solid yellow/blue panst but hey the recruits don't go for a solid football look I guess...

I'm sure they'll slap them on a Nebraska uniform next year

You watch your mouth! Lol.

Adidas, where do I even start?! Please just commit seppuku and do us all a favor.

Its+a+joke+about+seppuku.+Suicide+in+jap

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived