2014 MLB Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So do you actually like baseball?

I went to a Johnny Cueto Pitched game this year that was two hours and 20 minutes. I was home by ten. What do you have to say about that?

Did you read the article? Did you read the article by Passan I posted last week? Lowest offensive production since the DH was introduced and the games take longer than ever. Baseball, is a tough watch right now, that's if you can watch it period with the blackout rules and cable disputes. You know how I feel about the uniforms.

I went to a Johnny Cueto Pitched game this year that was two hours and 20 minutes. I was home by ten. What do you have to say about that?

Did you read the article? Did you read the article by Passan I posted last week? Lowest offensive production since the DH was introduced and the games take longer than ever. Baseball, is a tough watch right now, that's if you can watch it period with the blackout rules and cable disputes. You know how I feel about the uniforms.
then dont watch it if you dont like it, it just shows that pitchers are getting better, defense is getting better, offense is slipping, there is no correlation btwn game times and offensive production.

then dont watch it if you dont like it, it just shows that pitchers are getting better, defense is getting better, offense is slipping, there is no correlation btwn game times and offensive production.
The irony is that I thought increased offensive production tends to lengthen games. More at bats and all that...
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Baseball's problems go very far beyond the time of games, the uniforms, or any of that nonsense.

Baseball's biggest problem is that the product is absolutely shambolic. I've complained about parity for a couple years now, but this season is taking it to a new extreme. I feel like literally 70% of the league is .500 quality. Some teams are better (Detroit, Oakland, St. Louis, LA, and San Francisco, I guess), some teams are worse (Houston, Arizona, Chicago Cubs), but, more-or-less, there are a whole bunch of also-rans out there and it's getting harder and harder to watch. I hate saying this because I've always greatly enjoyed baseball, but I sure hope nobody is complaining about a need for a salary cap in this sport at this point in time, because a salary cap is about the very last thing MLB needs. The product is complete horse :censored: .

spacer.png

I'm not sure I follow. Can you explain?

Usually parity is a good thing when it comes to sports right? So you's rather have a definate line and dropoff between the good teams and bad? How would that make baseball better?

How does the need (or lack thereof) for a salary cap come into play into your scheme when it seems you and whoever you're speaking about doesn't want one.

IbjBaeE.png

I'm not sure I follow. Can you explain?

Usually parity is a good thing when it comes to sports right? So you's rather have a definate line and dropoff between the good teams and bad? How would that make baseball better?

How does the need (or lack thereof) for a salary cap come into play into your scheme when it seems you and whoever you're speaking about doesn't want one.

He's a Yankees fan.

That has so much to do with that post that I forgot to even mention them.

Do you actually think the only way I can derive any value or satisfaction from a particular sport comes when the team I root for is one of the best teams? Because, if so, then I'm not really sure how I've kept watching hockey and football for the majority of the past decade. Must be a miracle. That doesn't even begin to mention that I penciled them in as a 3rd place team before the season began and my emotional investment in them is about 1/10 of what it usually is. Lowered expectations has a way of doing that. Whether the Yankees are one of the best teams or not literally couldn't matter less when I'm talking about MLB as a whole. Good grief; stop reading things that aren't there. I've bitched about the Yankees before and, if I felt like it, I'd bitch about them again.

EDIT - heh, may have misread that, but instead of erasing that stuff, I'll let my own merits as an ass stand up for all to see.

But with regard to a salary cap, I would honestly be saying that Yankee fan or not because if you were to take a quick look at the standings, well, what would a salary cap do to, for lack of better term, "fix" the purported gap in the class system of baseball? The richest spending good team in baseball this year is Detroit. Four of the six division leaders are teams that I would not necessarily think of having large payrolls (though Toronto's is larger than you would think, IIRC; Rogers Communications is a giant up in Canada). Traditional spending powers like New York and Boston are terrible this season. For years, a large percentage of baseball fans argued in favor of a salary cap (and not a salary floor, for some reason) to try and balance the sport out. Well, given the fact that front offices are getting smarter thanks to embracing the sabermetrics movement, as well as the fact that more revenue from television deals is flying into the sport than ever before, which is allowing many of these smaller-market teams to extend contracts of top young players into their free agent seasons (which makes it either harder or less desirable to spend big bucks on free agents today than even just five years ago), what's basically happening is the class system I speak of is leveling out. Why do I see this as a bad thing, then? I only see it as a bad thing in terms of the end game product. The really good teams are few. The really bad teams are few. As a friend of mine on Twitter said in a recent conversation, parity is tantamount to league-wide mediocrity. Just look at the NFL from before 1993 and after 1993. If all other things were equal, the best teams since the Cowboys dynasty would not be favored to beat any of the best teams from the Cowboys dynasty or before that. The '80s Niners would cream the '00s Patriots.

I guess I'm just not a fan of excess parity. It feels like a waste of time. This is especially true in this season's American League, where it feels like, as long as Jim Leyland Brad Ausmus doesn't derp it up, the Tigers are the preordained team to be in the World Series. Of course, I said this in 2013 and we all saw what happened in that fateful 8th inning at Fenway.

--

To answer the other question, yes, I do have more of a preference for when there is a smaller group of contending teams but the quality of those contending teams is higher. I often mention 2002 as an example of this. All four AL playoff teams in 2002 won 95+ games. The two AL wild card runner ups won 93 games (Seattle and Boston, though they finished well behind Anaheim's 99 win figure and 10 games behind their division's respective winner). Does this make for more teams that are out of the race in the season's last couple months? Yes, I suppose it does, and maybe that's bad from a "competition" point of view, but I would much rather know that I'm watching quality than watching quantity. Right now, we're more than 25% of the way through the season and at least half the American League is clustered within three games of .500 in either direction (I say this without looking at the standings, but the only teams I can think of that are outside that range are the Tigers, A's, Jays, and Angels on the plus side, and the Red Sox, Rays, and Astros on the minus side). I know it's "early in the season" but this stuff tends to have begun resolving itself already. There is a suffocating air of parity that is overwhelming the sport right now and, well, will I watch baseball despite it? Yes, because I'm a hopeless drone. But I can't say I'm going to enjoy this season in the vein that I've enjoyed virtually every single season that preceded this one.

spacer.png

I had a feeling the Giants and Romo were gonna blow the save tonight vs Colorado. They've been great all year and Romo hadn't blown a save yet, but they were kinda due. I can't remember the last time the Giants dropped a game in the bottom half of the final frame, and I figured something had to eventually give.

Bummer. But man does Colorado look really solid this season. I wonder if they can keep this up.

If history is any indication, Tulowitzki and Gonzalez will get banged up and the Rockies will implode by the All-Star break.

jNTsTyQ.png

The Jays are playing alright lately. 9 wins in their last 11 games.

Swept Boston and now just took two against Oakland. Sure beats being ten games under!

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Baseball fans, need some input:

Does anyone know the context of this? It's one of my favorite gifs ever and it's from the 2012 playoffs if that's any help.

ryan-theriot.gif

Also check out this badass stolen base:

conger.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived