Adidas Lands NHL Uniform Contract for 2017-18 and Beyond

LAWeaver

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

superficial concern:

the stars biggest sponsor has been dr. pepper for decades now... do you know how awful maroon and kelly green look together?

slap a pepsi logo on any of the red, white, and blue teams and your eye may eventually be trained to ignore it. slap a dr. pepper logo on victory green, and it's going to stand out like a sore thumb. :/

The teams losing money shouldn't have teams in the first place, that is how Capitalism is supposed to work. And once again, the NHL can't pull off ads tastefully... Just look look at how obtrusive and annoying 'front numbers' were... A tiny minuscule number on the front completely disrupted the way anniversary, and championship patches were executed... I shudder to think of the effect advertisements would have on the uniforms...

The NHL teams can make money on the ads, the advertisers feel that their payments will result in improved income, and the fans still watch/go to games so the teams adopt ads on the uniforms. That is how capitalism is supposed to work. I agree. It won't and can't be tasteful. But at this point, they'd be crazy not to do it. It will cost them approximately 0% of its fans (rounded to the nearest percent).

The real amazing thing is that we've made it this far.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Aren't the giant ads around the boards and at center ice enough? This is just pure greed.

Apparently not if successful franchises can't turn a profit.

Since Adidas owns Reebok, I'm hoping the symbolism of "a new company taking over" means a deviation from the last branding campaign of ruining every jersey with minimalism for minimalism's sake and piping for piping's sake because speed.

As far as ads go, some teams might do it well... I don't doubt for a second that this logo will adorn multiple jerseys across Canada and a certain "Southern Canada" town in NY:

10794-US-TH-master-logo-no-glow.jpg

My best case scenario would be to have it replace one of the shoulder logos. Some teams already have too much clutter on the front.

There is no best case scenario. If ads go on the jerseys, it's going to look horrendous.

And in terms of struggling franchises, I don't feel that putting an Arizona Mills patch on the Coyotes jerseys will help them increase revenue. They'll keep losing money. They'll just look even worse doing it.

The teams losing money shouldn't have teams in the first place, that is how Capitalism is supposed to work. And once again, the NHL can't pull off ads tastefully... Just look look at how obtrusive and annoying 'front numbers' were... A tiny minuscule number on the front completely disrupted the way anniversary, and championship patches were executed... I shudder to think of the effect advertisements would have on the uniforms...

The NHL teams can make money on the ads, the advertisers feel that their payments will result in improved income, and the fans still watch/go to games so the teams adopt ads on the uniforms. That is how capitalism is supposed to work. I agree. It won't and can't be tasteful. But at this point, they'd be crazy not to do it. It will cost them approximately 0% of its fans (rounded to the nearest percent).

They'll never make another dime from me... I know that doesn't mean anything to them as I'm just one person but it's a fact. Chris from Icethetics has also said that if uniform advertisements become a reality, his web site will be no more and I don't blame him. They are taking the best uniforms in all of sports and bastardizing them for a profit. As a fan, a designer and most importantly, an NHL uniform & logo enthusiast, this news is an absolute gut punch. The Stars mockup with that garbage Dr. Pepper logo is almost enough to make me want to vomit!

They'll never make another dime from me... I know that doesn't mean anything to them as I'm just one person but it's a fact. Chris from Icethetics has also said that if uniform advertisements become a reality, his web site will be no more and I don't blame him. They are taking the best uniforms in all of sports and bastardizing them for a profit. As a fan, a designer and most importantly, an NHL uniform & logo enthusiast, this news is an absolute gut punch. The Stars mockup with that garbage Dr. Pepper logo is almost enough to make me want to vomit!

I don't even dispute anything you feel. Once this happens, my days of merchandise purchase are most likely over. Will I stop watching? It's hard to say. And IF they were to lose a substantial portion of their viewership (both on TV and in person), they'd drop this idea. But, hell, I'd bet a third of the people on this board are OK with it.* And most of the rest of us will adjust. And if a third of "us" are OK...that means that a majority of regular fans are. Few will love it, but most will just accept it immediately.

*They say "tasteful" and I am with you; it cannot be tasteful. They also say "if it will limit commercials and lower ticket prices." Ha ha ha ha ha.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Aren't the giant ads around the boards and at center ice enough? This is just pure greed.

Apparently not if successful franchises can't turn a profit.

We don't know that's the case. The league has a strong incentive to play up that narrative.

Let them open the books before we accept their word for it.

I don't disagree that this sucks, but how is this a "gut punch"? We've known that ads are a possibility for forever. This has been foretold for over a decade. The more popular official team merchandise became the more likely it was that they'd try to further monetize it. It's the "winter is coming" of North American sports. We don't know when it'll happen, but it's silly to think it never will.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't even dispute anything you feel. Once this happens, my days of merchandise purchase are most likely over. Will I stop watching? It's hard to say. And IF they were to lose a substantial portion of their viewership (both on TV and in person), they'd drop this idea. But, hell, I'd bet a third of the people on this board are OK with it.* And most of the rest of us will adjust. And if a third of "us" are OK...that means that a majority of regular fans are. Few will love it, but most will just accept it immediately.

*They say "tasteful" and I am with you; it cannot be tasteful. They also say "if it will limit commercials and lower ticket prices." Ha ha ha ha ha.

This is how I feel. It'll happen someday, and some of us will fight like hell when it does. I will definitely never again buy a jersey of my favorite teams once they have advertisements on them, and I'm not sure I'll even buy merchandise. I've said before that I will stop watching the NBA entirely. That's not only because they're leading the way on the jersey ads, but because we've seen how basketball jersey ads turn out - soccer in tank tops. Even KHL style crap for the NHL would be better than what the NBA will wear, essentially Samsung across the chest with a basketball club roundel above it. Also, admittedly basketball is my 4th favorite of the major sports, so it won't be a huge loss for me. So, I'd still watch baseball, football and hockey, but I would never again buy any jerseys. But as you said, most people wouldn't mind and some dunces would think it was actually cool to have ads on jerseys. And the rest? Most of them would just get immune to it over time.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

It's times like this that I absolutely love MLB for their stubborn attachment to tradition.

The fact that the NHL are even entertaining the idea of the 3 strips on uniforms or ads front and center soccer style is just disturbing. They and the NBA are going to lead the charge of US sports leagues into that putrid money making mess that is ads on jerseys...

Uni-Watch Blog had some good mockups today of the possibilities:

http://www.uni-watch.com/2015/08/18/adidas-wins-nhl-uni-contract-3-stripes-ads-coming/

Some of the better ones:

20659616272_60ffd49c9f.jpg20050306343_0352a1afb5_z.jpg20483878040_aa8e2fbfbd.jpg20481702338_56696f8e86_n.jpg

Hey, it's not like this is unprecedented, Tackla had those odd shoulder designs for far too long

580972_10151109893626885_1113753851_n.jp

Best case scenario is that this is all we get:

20047149234_d91fe6f341_n.jpg

But I'm not holding my breath.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Archived