Soblito

Minnesota Timberwolves

426 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, nash61 said:

Shots fired.

 

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 2.40.57 PM.png

Man if the Glendale Cluster:censored:s are ragging on you, you know you dun goofed

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seriously, the Coyotes thing is stupid. The Wolves have essentially had this as their secondary for YEARS, only facing the other way and NOW that it is facing the same way people are flipping out about it?

14 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't bad, but there's one thing I keep thinking might make it work a little better.

 

twolves.png

 

A slight rotation to let the A without the crossbar point straight up--or, if you will, north.  The wolf also feels like it's at a more natural angle.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Alphabets_Futhark_Nordic_Runes_01.jpg

 

 

It's a stretch, but you can kind of see it.

 

Throwing aside the whole "inspired by" spiel, IMO the font is pretty nice.  I think it could translate pretty well to the jersey front, especially in one-layer white on navy. 

 

i like it. if thats where they started, i think its a fine execution. obviously you're not going to make a typeface out of those symbols, so taking note of the angles, tall straight lines, and monoweight of them i think they made a really nice font out of it all. very nice way to take something old and form a new idea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Mockba said:

This isn't bad, but there's one thing I keep thinking might make it work a little better.

 

twolves.png

 

A slight rotation to let the A without the crossbar point straight up--or, if you will, north.  The wolf also feels like it's at a more natural angle.

 

i almost like this. but in this context, A points/represents north, so what does that say about the V? it has to become a pointer as well and i think theres too much negative connotation. if you allow the A to just be an A and the entire alphabet to be rune inspired, you don't have to worry about it. it is kind of visually pleasing to see the A point due north, but the meaning doesn't work for the team name– especially when spelled out horizontally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MTimberwolves_Wordmark-2017.jpg

 

So I'm assuming if this is the jersey font, both the home and away will say "wolves" on them like from 89-96. I have a hard time seeing them fitting "Minnesota" on the away jersey with that thick/wide lettering. I'm never really a fan of teams that don't have the city name on either jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Mockba said:

This isn't bad, but there's one thing I keep thinking might make it work a little better.

 

 

A slight rotation to let the A without the crossbar point straight up--or, if you will, north.  The wolf also feels like it's at a more natural angle.

How about an over rotation? Interesting how different the "emotion" is in rotating the logo. 

MTimberwolves_rotated.png

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i like it. if thats where they started, i think its a fine execution. obviously you're not going to make a typeface out of those symbols, so taking note of the angles, tall straight lines, and monoweight of them i think they made a really nice font out of it all. very nice way to take something old and form a new idea

It's the superficial nature of it that bugs me. The closest rune to that sans-crossbar A means "wild ox" and the rune that looks almost exactly like the M means "two horses."

As I said before. It's the visual equivalent of a guy using words he doesn't understand in an attempt to sound smart. Yeah, the designer obviously knows what Scandinavian runes look like, but the actual meaning is completely lost. The similarities are superficial and random.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

superficial and random.

 

 

 

"Hmm, I like it.  When can you start?"
- Phil Knight

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It's the superficial nature of it that bugs me. The closest rune to that sans-crossbar A means "wild ox" and the rune that looks almost exactly like the M means "two horses."

As I said before. It's the visual equivalent of a guy using words he doesn't understand in an attempt to sound smart. Yeah, the designer obviously knows what Scandinavian runes look like, but the actual meaning is completely lost. The similarities are superficial and random.

 

 

So this is probably more coincidence than anything...but in the Greek alphabet, "alpha" comes from the Phoenician "aleph", which was attributed to the ox.  

 

Given that a wolfpack is known for its alpha male...and that the rune used for wild ox looks similar to an A and was used in place of the A...maybe the designers were secretly brilliant.

 

eh? :P

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WSU151 said:

 

So this is probably more coincidence than anything...but in the Greek alphabet, "alpha" comes from the Phoenician "aleph", which was attributed to the ox.  

 

Given that a wolfpack is known for its alpha male...and that the rune used for wild ox looks similar to an A and was used in place of the A...maybe the designers were secretly brilliant.

 

eh? :P

I'm not even sure they even knew it meant "ox," so I'm gonna say "no" :P

 

"ICONIC SPIKES OF HUSKY STADIUM!"

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

 

i almost like this. but in this context, A points/represents north, so what does that say about the V? it has to become a pointer as well and i think theres too much negative connotation. if you allow the A to just be an A and the entire alphabet to be rune inspired, you don't have to worry about it. it is kind of visually pleasing to see the A point due north, but the meaning doesn't work for the team name– especially when spelled out horizontally. 

If you make the star the wolf's eye the v would be pointing to the north star

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Funkatron101 said:

How about an over rotation? Interesting how different the "emotion" is in rotating the logo. 

MTimberwolves_rotated.png

 

He looks like he's sneezing.  

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this partial logo is being used on chrome browser. 

IMG_0097.PNG

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm waiting to see the entire identity before I formulate much of an opinion on it, but the outgoing logo shrank poorly and has needed to go for a while. There's a reason the official site just uses the head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think they should have modernized the original logo and brought back those colors. They keep the darkish scale of blues and greens...doesn't really give a youthful spark the video was pointing towards. The dude in the video is even rockin an old wolves jacket. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I'm actually digging the new Timberwolves logo. 

After looking at the new logo and the current secondary logo and comparing the two; there are things that work well with both logos.

I do like the updated and simplified colors in the new version, the nod to the "north star". It took me some time to get use to altered angled font, but it works.

Overall, I like the new version more.

 

With that sad, I do miss the trees from the last version.

I almost feel that adding trees into the new logo would have added too much detail into the overall look.

I tried coming up with my own concept where I added the trees into the new version, to see what it would look like.

(I redrew the logo the best I could, and tried finding the font closest to the new Timberwolves font. I hope it looks ok.)

 

Thoughts?

 

 

MinnesotaTimberwolves-NewLogo-Concepts-01.jpg

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those trees look kind of awkwardly incorporated to me?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, mattharveysc said:

So, I'm actually digging the new Timberwolves logo. 

After looking at the new logo and the current secondary logo and comparing the two; there are things that work well with both logos.

I do like the updated and simplified colors in the new version, the nod to the "north star". It took me some time to get use to altered angled font, but it works.

Overall, I like the new version more.

 

With that sad, I do miss the trees from the last version.

I almost feel that adding trees into the new logo would have added too much detail into the overall look.

I tried coming up with my own concept where I added the trees into the new version, to see what it would look like.

(I redrew the logo the best I could, and tried finding the font closest to the new Timberwolves font. I hope it looks ok.)

 

Thoughts?

 

 

MinnesotaTimberwolves-NewLogo-Concepts-01.jpg

It's a little forced. Incorporating them in the background seems more logical. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got bored and did this quick idea in NBA 2K17.

 

AN4GlYY.png

 

The logo looks great with the in game presentation too.

 

cRlBHge.png

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now