Washington Redtails.....Discuss

kmccarthy27

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish it was only team names that people complained about as it would be less complaining, but people these days complain about everything.

Their land stolen from them and their population slaughtered by the millions...

Bunch of complaining crybabies, amiright?

The politicians in DC complaining about the name are not all Native Americans are they?

I am done with this topic as I have my beliefs and they are not going to change.

spacer.png

My goodness. Let me try rephrasing that:

The peoples being described determine whether a comment, nickname, or phrase is racist or insensitive. NOT the people using said words.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Sigs are for sissies.

To those who know the true meaning of the word: having a team named the "Redskins" is as offensive to them, as having a team called the "N_ggers" would be to us.

The reason why most people don't complain is because "Redskins" means nothing to most of us.

To those who know the true meaning of the word: having a team named the "Redskins" is as offensive to them, as having a team called the "N_ggers" would be to us.

The reason why most people don't complain is because "Redskins" means nothing to most of us.

The only thing I say about this is once again is the team is not calling anyone a name.

They are calling themselves that & are proud to be Redskins.

Whether you like the name or think the name is racist you should be able to admit when you name a team is not meant to be something you hate but like.

It also has nothing to do with what happened almost a hundred years before the name was given which is what some have claimed is so insensitive.

The fact of the matter is that we've reached the point of political correctness where we need to just get out of the business of trying to "honor" any more groups of people by naming teams after them - It just doesn't work anymore.

If they insist on changing the name, then name the team after an animal or an inanimate object and be done with it.

The majority of native americans don't care about the name. It's only the liberal tards that seem to care nowadays. The Skins aren't changing their name anytime soon.

In a study performed by the National Annenberg Survey, Native Americans from the 48 continental U.S. states were asked "The professional football team in Washington calls itself the Washington Redskins. As a Native American, do you find that name offensive or does it not bother you?" In response, ninety percent replied that the name is acceptable, while nine percent said that it was offensive, and one percent would not answer.

The name wont change. Will never change. The backlash that will ensue from changing the name would be monumental in scope. THink the Niners fan backlash was bad with the one-day helmet? See what happens if the Skins change their name,,,

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

The majority of native americans don't care about the name. It's only the liberal tards that seem to care nowadays. The Skins aren't changing their name anytime soon.

At least you're consistent in your insensitivity to the impact of derogatory terms.

Washington Apaches, with an Apache helicopter firing "football missiles" on the helmet. Problem solved.

I prefer Washington Hind D's, and make the field the same color as their uniforms.

No one will ever see them coming. A Hind D?!

First time I've seen such blatant ignorance on these boards. Some of you really need to get it together.

In fairness, you have not been around too long.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm all for changing the Redskins name, but I haven't heard a suitable replacement until now.

Redtails works for me. You keep the Red part of the nickname, you can keep the team colors, and you honor a group of brave war heroes instead of disparaging an entire race. I say go for it.

Would the team have to cut all non-African American players at that point?

Yes because the only players who have played for the Redskins in their history have been Native American.

Redtails might make for a fine name if the team was based in Montgomery or Birmingham, AL, but the Tuskegee Airmen have no connection to the DC area. And if you named it after the Tuskegee Airmen nickname, then all of the other white airmen, who might have made a larger contribution to the war and are still around, will be offended for not being recognized. You're essentially trying to make up for history by propping them up higher than they should be otherwise.

Not quite.

Not even going to dignify the rest of that paragraph with a reply.

One not-so offensive name that I like is Braves. Wasn't that the team's original name from its Boston days?

Put the spear back on the helmet and have no direct Native American imagery (i.e., the face), something along the lines of the Atlanta Braves, Utah Utes, and Kansas City Chiefs.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived