Uniform numbers that look bad

JasonFromMiami

I thought some team said that you have to take a number that is within N from another existing number to make it look more like a team and not having guys standing out with super high numbers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought some team said that you have to take a number that is within N from another existing number to make it look more like a team and not having guys standing out with super high numbers.

Was it Calgary? I know Burke's implemented a "1-50" rule, and I think that may have been part of his reasoning.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I don't even remember if it was hockey. I guess it would make sense that it's a hockey team since there aren't too many outlier numbers in baseball and basketball.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I personally admire the creativity but can see why people disliked it.

TUZsMzm.jpg

Agreed. I understand they were trying to follow the striping pattern, but it looked like the number and NOB were starting to melt off in the wash. A straight NOB/number alone would have improved those sweaters immensely.

(Boss to person sewing on the numbers): No no no, Johnston YOU IDIOT! Those numbers are perfectly straight and organized! They're supposed to be crooked and wonky! Look! Look at how straight and square they are! They look terrible!

zHaTsQK.jpg

I personally admire the creativity but can see why people disliked it.

TUZsMzm.jpg

These have long been a guilty pleasure of mine...these things encapsulate just about everything one needs to know about the '90s era of sports design.

This also gives me the chance to bring up another relic from the 90s, only because of something I noticed a while back...

TUZsMzm.jpg

68836b_lg.jpeg

Look closely...

If you can straighten out the waviness in your mind, you'll notice these two teams pretty much used the same font...the only two instances I can remember of this particular [style of] font being used in pro sports.

Speaking of the Motre Bames...as much as I loved that particular uniform set (much more post-'96), the "4" from that set was just inexcusable...

Nilsson_OnDeck.jpg

Frankly, I like that font better than the Brewers current font. The current one just looks extremely dated to me.

Here's an interesting article about the 1934-35 Montreal Canadiens, who had several players who wore non-traditional numbers, including #99, 88, 75 and 64. Turns out in the early '30s the Montreal Canadiens also had a box lacrosse team, who wore the same style jerseys as the hockey Canadiens. As a cost saving measure (Great Depression and all), they reused the lacrosse jerseys for the hockey team when the lacrosse team folded, resulting in unusually high numbers for several members of the Habs.

kozbiwJ.jpg

"Here are the numbers, the names, and the weights of the players on the Canadiens hockey club. This list is official and was turned in to us yesterday afternoon by the office of the Canadiens hockey club."

Didn't even have to check google translate wooooooo still got it baby

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Speaking of traditional goalie numbers and "Uniform numbers that look bad", how about traditional goalie numbers on non-goalies:

nilan.jpg

chris-nilan-autographed-8x10-photo-bosto

Chris Nilan wore #30 on three different teams for his entire 10-year career.

5076-392Fr.jpg

Turner Stevenson wore #30 for most of his eight seasons with the Canadiens.

dhm-donald-brashear.jpg

Donald Brashear wore #35 for all three-plus of his seasons with the Canadiens.

plekanec.jpg

Tomas Plekanec wore #35 for the first two-plus seasons of his career.

Kubina.jpg

Pavel Kubina wore #31, an inverse of his usual #13, as one of his few different numbers with the Leafs.

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head (there's probably more). Odd that it's mostly Montreal.

from the washington post holtby explains why he is #70: "Is there any significance to you wearing the number 70?

No, they just gave it to me at my first camp. I got a surprise call-up my first year, played a few games and people started to buy the jersey. And I felt too bad to change it after I’d seen a couple of people pay money for the jersey, so I stuck with it."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/capitals/just-asking-the-capitals-braden-holtby/2014/11/12/bad359e2-6116-11e4-8b9e-2ccdac31a031_story.html?wprss=rss_magazine

funny how a "strange" number like that sticks

Jeremy Brodeur wears number 56 in net for the Oshawa Generals. It looks really odd.

generals_4.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I think I heard that Ottavino chose to wear 0 because it looks like an "O" which is his last initial. So technically he is #O not #0.

Here is another oddity, last season after the Nuggets acquired Aaron Brooks there was a 0 and 00 on the team, which has to be the first time that has happened in sports history.

13479483464_661a0b5b00_o.png

I was thinking that happened for the Utah Jazz. Greg Ostertag wore 00. I was thinking he wore it when Olden Polynice came in 1999. But according to this wikipedia page Ostertag changed his number to 39.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999–2000_Utah_Jazz_season

e73af6c09e2c8bbe2ea416afb80daf5d.jpg

Spencer Hawes and Jeremy Pargo

Archived