NBA Changes 2015-16 Season

Josh.0

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only did they wear throwbacks, the Hawks also wore the NBA logo on the chest too. None of the other throwbacks in the league do this.

Is this the first time they've worn the 80's throwback? I can't think of any other time and usually when they did, it was because I made them do it in a video game.

bSLCtu2.png

Maximus you weren't born in '89 right. I mean no way you could've recalled the 1995 season.

But I literally stopped following the Rockets when they switched to the clown uniforms that year.

I don't think any team is allowed to revert to a carbon copy of an earlier design but if an exemption can be made Houston should do it.

It could definitely use some tweaking. Maybe an updated wordmark and a new number font. Red and white with yellow. Not red and yellow with white. The color balance is the key. I'm actually trying to work on something right now.

Max did you ever see my concepts?

Not only did they wear throwbacks, the Hawks also wore the NBA logo on the chest too. None of the other throwbacks in the league do this.

Is this the first time they've worn the 80's throwback? I can't think of any other time and usually when they did, it was because I made them do it in a video game.

IIRC, it is the first time. The only other time I can remember seeing them on-court since they were retired was when Josh Smith wore a throwback Nique jersey in the dunk contest.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Best throwback so far this year.

MMr1azT.jpg

That guy's over abundance of tattoos kinda ruin the throwback look though. :/
That GUY is All Star Jeff Teague. And if you think he has a lot of tattoos, then you should see Pero Antic in this uniform.
Yeah... Jeff Teague is just starting to be known this year. The only reason I know who he is is because he played at Wake. It's not like it's Lebron or anything.

They wore these maybe once or twice since Horford's been there. I was kinda hoping they'd wear these last night, and like how not much was said publicly until maybe and hour or 2 before gametime. Also like the home uniforms at home too.

They need to make the shorts stripe thinner and then have a small white triangle at the bottom on the inside of the right leg. It's an easy fix.

That being said, I'm certain that the Hawks are going to go the route of the Suns. Both teams had a great look throwback look which should have been brought back with little or no changes. The Suns decided make the throwback "current" by taking ideas from it, making them horrible, and coming up with an awful point proprietary font. I hope the Hawks prove me wrong, but I imagine the same thing from them.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I know this is probably a very unpopular opinion, but I really dislike that Hawks throwback. Always have. I've tried to like it, but to illustrate why I just can't:

gty_465428728_71394024.jpg?w=1000&h=695

The backs of those jerseys are just atrocious. The upward slanting numbers on the back ruin it for me. I don't know why, but I really don't think they work there. They work better on the front, but not on the back. And it may be just the movement of his jersey, but Carroll's number 5 getting pushed all the way to the right just looks REALLY bad. I don't really like the diagonal names on the back either. I feel like the only way they could get a modernization of this to work is to go the Sonics' route, when they opted not to replicate the back of the jersey and keep that colored name arch off the back. It kept the charm of the throwbacks while making the necessary changes to clean up the look a little. If Atlanta were to do that as well as straighten the back numbers out, I'd like it a lot more.

To me, the best Atlanta ever looked was right here:

Joe-Johnson.jpg

One of my favorite NBA uniforms ever. Correct team colors? Check. Great custom wordmark and numbers? Check. Clean design? Check. The only thing they could've done to make them better is to put "Atlanta" on the red roads (and even still, the roads were fantastic). But other than that? It's a uniform that I just simply can't find a fault with. They could've worn this for 50 years and it'd still look great.

My hopes are that the upcoming changes look more or less like the 2000's set, but I have a very strong feeling they'll be more Dominique-inspired.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I agree. I also never liked these much. But a modernized version of these could be outstanding.

The best look the Hawks ever had for me is actually their current look. And that's sad because I don't really like that look. You're right, they need to go the Suns route. Or even better, a similar design as the Sonics made about a decade ago.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Joe-Johnson.jpg

Yes! I loved these, such a well-done look (aside from that yellow monstrosity of an alternate). I think a redone version of these, with shorts inspired by the 'Nique-era set, could be very nice.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I actually can agree with FinsUp. He didn't even mention how the 80s throwback flows on the front, but if you look at it from the right side of the body...the design basically comes together awkwardly where the slanted stripes connect.

There is no uniform more perfect than the 2000s uniforms. Had the Hawks had more success they would have felt less need to rebrand and that look could have stayed for a while, though the only thing I'm not a fan of is the hawk logo...the abstracted Hawk head, aka the pac logo, is by far superior.

With that said, the reason there's so much love for the 80s throwback is the nostalgia...and the fact that they are so goofy they stand out. While the 2000s design is best, nothing says Atlanta Hawks more than what they worse last night, and that's why people love them so much.

It's kind of like loving an ugly dog, really.

There is no uniform more perfect than the 2000s uniforms. Had the Hawks had more success they would have felt less need to rebrand and that look could have stayed for a while, though the only thing I'm not a fan of is the hawk logo...the abstracted Hawk head, aka the pac logo, is by far superior.

Even though I like the "pac-logo" a lot, I'd have to disagree with that...just because of the fact that it really does resemble Pac-Man (honestly, it's a testament to just how big of an impact Pac-Man made, to where just a similar shape brings the character to mind). I can't tell you how many times I've heard some variation of "Is that Pac-Man?" when that logo pops up. It's charming, but a secondary logo at best. No primary logo should instantly bring to mind a totally different thing entirely. I wonder if that played a role in their decision to change logos in the first place.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

Not having that nostalgia connection, I don't see anything special in those 'Nique era Hawks unis other than that they look dated. Neither do I see anything in the Bucks' Irish rainbow unis. The Hawks' 2000s set wasn't bad indeed, especially I liked the yellow alternate.

I know this is probably a very unpopular opinion, but I really dislike that Hawks throwback. Always have. I've tried to like it, but to illustrate why I just can't:

gty_465428728_71394024.jpg?w=1000&h=695

The backs of those jerseys are just atrocious. The upward slanting numbers on the back ruin it for me. I don't know why, but I really don't think they work there. They work better on the front, but not on the back. And it may be just the movement of his jersey, but Carroll's number 5 getting pushed all the way to the right just looks REALLY bad. I don't really like the diagonal names on the back either. I feel like the only way they could get a modernization of this to work is to go the Sonics' route, when they opted not to replicate the back of the jersey and keep that colored name arch off the back. It kept the charm of the throwbacks while making the necessary changes to clean up the look a little. If Atlanta were to do that as well as straighten the back numbers out, I'd like it a lot more.

It never worked well with single digit numbers. The shorts weren't translated right either, they, should have just added white beneath the stripe. By moving the stripe down - it looks like it's sagging and falling off!

Those '00s were plenty good too, just not as iconic. The two 90s sets were perfectly good too.

slideshow_960907_manning.jpg

This was a decent toned down version of the '80s, preserving the angled script with the number in the corner.

slideshow_960906_17-HAWKS_PACERS_53999.j

Even these were one of the best of the garish 90s jerseys! The two tone works reasonably well above and below the wings. These and the Nuggets might be the only times these designs worked. Funny that Denver was the '80s, not '90s.

Archived