2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

24 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Something like this? 

66011376_2ba815c457.jpg.cf.jpg

it looks like something stuck in the 90s bulging biceps angry face and wielding a object in a menacing manner this looks like one of rob liefelds creations I think the orca is not that bad of a logo or heck I liked the flying skates maybe they could bring it back in their current colors

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Rj0498 said:

it looks like something stuck in the 90s bulging biceps angry face and wielding a object in a menacing manner this looks like one of rob liefelds creations I think the orca is not that bad of a logo or heck I liked the flying skates maybe they could bring it back in their current colors

Yeah, that logo makes the Fisherman look tasteful, and the amputated Orca logo doesn't fit that aesthetic in the slightest.

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

- Both logos have nothing to do with the history of their respective franchises.  The Canucks never used 'Johnny' and the Islanders should have never used 'Gorton' after their early, historic success.

Actually yes, before the Canucks joined the NHL they were in the WHL and that was their logo. So Johnny Canuck is historic to the Canucks. 

zyyMk1d.png

4 hours ago, Morgo said:

The Red and Blue 'Johnny' is an old-timey mascot logo.  The blue and green one is a 90's extreme remake, just like the Fisherman.  The only difference being that latter was made in the late 2000's.

We're not talking about the WHL Canucks.  We are talking about the NHL team established in 1970 that has never used the logo.

They are the same team, granted as an expansion team to the NHL in 1970 yes but it's just like the WHA team that came in. 

zyyMk1d.png

Eh, this conversation has completely hit the fan. People complaining about the Johnny Canuck logo being too cartoonish yet the Ducks use a literal cartoon goalie mask in the shape of a ducks face. While I love the Mighty Ducks logo, skating Penguin etc, the Johnny Canuck logo would be just fine. If a depiction of a male lumberjack offends you, I'd hate to ask you how you feel about the Washington Redskins.

It's a sports team/logo. Just stop already

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

1 hour ago, worcat said:

Eh, this conversation has completely hit the fan. People complaining about the Johnny Canuck logo being too cartoonish yet the Ducks use a literal cartoon goalie mask in the shape of a ducks face. While I love the Mighty Ducks logo, skating Penguin etc, the Johnny Canuck logo would be just fine. If a depiction of a male lumberjack offends you, I'd hate to ask you how you feel about the Washington Redskins.

It's a sports team/logo. Just stop already

I wouldn't say anyone was offended, but yes, the conversation has become tiresome. 

11 minutes ago, coltravesty said:

are the Oilers 3rds and Florida Panthers new jerseys with the numbers on the shoulders and patches above the arm stripe, the future of NHL sweaters? Does anyone else like them? I love the look.

The Oilers 3rds are a straight throwback to these, so it's not really a modernity thing with those.

IMG_3582.JPG

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Depends on how arenas are going with press-box height. 

Remember, those sleeve numbers serve a purpose: they're typically the first and most-often used identifier of the players for the broadcast team. Players don't have their backs to the broadcast booth often enough to be the standard. Therefore, those sleeve numbers are absolutely vital. I've announced games with teams that don't have them, and it's hell. Absolutely awful games to call. 

The shoulders work if you're up high enough. Otherwise, they're a lot less helpful than sleeve numbers. I know that I've never been placed up high enough for that to work for me, but I couldn't tell you at NHL rinks.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

45 minutes ago, hockey week said:

Depends on how arenas are going with press-box height. 

Remember, those sleeve numbers serve a purpose: they're typically the first and most-often used identifier of the players for the broadcast team. Players don't have their backs to the broadcast booth often enough to be the standard. Therefore, those sleeve numbers are absolutely vital. I've announced games with teams that don't have them, and it's hell. Absolutely awful games to call. 

The shoulders work if you're up high enough. Otherwise, they're a lot less helpful than sleeve numbers. I know that I've never been placed up high enough for that to work for me, but I couldn't tell you at NHL rinks.

Would you imagine this is the reason that shoulder numbers are a lot more popular in the NFL, because of how high up press/announcers are?

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

Redskins? Mighty Ducks? We're a grey facemask reference away from making this the most obnoxious CCSLC discussion ever.

No the grey facemask wouldn't do it, because we have no references yet to the Cleveland Browns or the San Diego Padres brown and gold debate.... oh wait, I think I just made it the most obnoxious discussion.

Archived