2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is Pittsburgh's bicentennial, what was that "Pittsburgh 250" patch from a few seasons ago for?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Also note the Devils are wearing their throwback tonight.

It's green pants vs green pants since they're playing Minnesota. (Haven't found any good pictures of both teams yet, only videos.)

I think it's the first time that this has happened since 1992, the last season of the Devils and Whalers green sets!

99051150-george-mcphee-of-the-new-jersey

Only picture that I could find of that match-up.

Still waiting for the Leafs to do this:

SUNM125020-500x500.jpg

They're almost surely going to wear the St. Pats gear at least once next season. Make it happen!

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

48 minutes ago, BigBubba said:

Still waiting for the Leafs to do this:

SUNM125020-500x500.jpg

They're almost surely going to wear the St. Pats gear at least once next season. Make it happen!

On a major sidenote, I think that game and his 8 All-Star appearances are the only times Mats Sundin didn't wear blue in his 19-season career:
matscard_76181.jpg 
487f710986abee0034e78981aa85f8d0.jpg 
Vancouver+Canucks+v+Toronto+Maple+Leafs+

12 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Its because Pittsburgh is stealing the Bruins identity.  Starting with the athletic gold and moving on.

I wouldn't say the Penguins stole the Bruins identity as much as they adopted the colors of the PITTSBURGH Steelers and the PITTSBURGH Pirates. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

18 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Its because Pittsburgh is stealing the Bruins identity.  Starting with the athletic gold and moving on.

Plus, this was around before Boston was wearing black and gold

Pittsburgh+Pirates+1925-28+P+1.jpg?forma

Which is the actual reason why Boston failed to stop Pittsburgh's change when they challenged it in 1979

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

22 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Except the black and gold have been associated with Pittsburgh long before the NHL was ever established.

201px-William-Younger-arms.svg.png

That's the coat of arms of William Pitt, who the city was named after. The colors are also in the city's flag. The black and gold has also been in use by the Pirates since 1948 and the Steelers since 1945. The NHL Pittsburgh Pirates wore gold and black back in the 1920s back when the Bruins were still wearing brown and gold. The Penguins did not just decide to use those colors out of the blue. There is long historical precedent for black and gold being associated with Pittsburgh sports.

Besides, it's far from the first time that two teams in a league shared a color scheme. I don't hear you complaining about the Devils stealing the Blackhawks' color scheme when they switched away from the red and green. Why is that? Because no one thinks that the Devils stole the Blackhawks' color scheme, and no one should think that the Penguins stole the Bruins' color scheme, because they didn't.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

There's like 11 red and black teams. Surely two yellow and black teams can coexist as long as their identities are distinct from one another, which they are, not like those dummies in Tampa. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

55 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

There's like 11 red and black teams. Surely two yellow and black teams can coexist as long as their identities are distinct from one another, which they are, not like those dummies in Tampa. 

Agreed. If the Penguins were to use a template similar to the throwback alternate, they would look nothing like the Bruins. 

3 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Islanders and the Oilers do a great job of distinguishing themselves from each other while both clubs wear royal blue and orange. 

For no good reason, I get more upset with those teams' similarities (when really, they're few and far between) than I do with any of the other similar-looking teams.  I think it's because I associate the Islanders more with navy blue and a subdued striping style.

2 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

I was being sarcastic.  Sorry didn't make that clear.  

I think Bostons claim of Pittsburgh stealing their look is ridiculous.  

Plus the Penguins look look damn good in

athletic gold. 

I think it's a bit of a sore spot, since there are people out there who claim it for real.  You definitely touched off something unintentional lol

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I don't care for the Penguins much and I would own one of those throwbacks. Such a fantastic look.  If the Bruins don't like it they can piss off. 

Also, I like how nobody's using the Cup/history argument to defend the current bland black and khaki look in any way, shape or form ;) 

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Well they have one Cup in black and khaki, and two Cups in black and athletic gold so....

:P

As much as I agree that the Penguins should be wearing Athletic Gold over khaki, Winning a Cup is the last reason that a team should be wearing a uniform... Think San Jose Inaugural sweaters, or The Canucks stick in rink look. A team should be wearing a uniform because they look good... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

8 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

As much as I agree that the Penguins should be wearing Athletic Gold over khaki, Winning a Cup is the last reason that a team should be wearing a uniform... Think San Jose Inaugural sweaters, or The Canucks stick in rink look. A team should be wearing a uniform because they look good... 

I'm of the opinion that a team should look their best. 

Now I don't think "best" necessarily means what looks best aesthetically. Mostly because what looks best aesthetically can't be quantified. It's subjective. 

To me a team's "best" look is the look that best represents the franchise. The Oilers should be in royal blue and orange because that look represents one of the greatest teams to play the game. That's "the" Oilers look. And so on.

Archived