NHL 2017-18

Bmac

Edge really screwed up several teams' chances.  The Avs, despite being a recent team, were on the path before Edge.  Edmonton maybe?  I hate their navy and copper era, but it wasn't that much of a departure and they still kinda looked like the Oilers.  Not sure if anyone else.  

You could argue that (at least visually), there's only an O8. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bigred5050 said:

Those damn golf ball dimples are hideous...  you should all be ashamed of yourselves.

We should feel ashamed about something that we have no control of? It's just mesh. Jerseys have been made out of it for years.

i think they'd have to flip the blue and orange. the yoke is blue, outlined in orange. the numbers are blue outlined in orange. if they just filled in the hem stripes, it'd be orange outlined in blue. they'd need to flip that.

but as it is, it's perfect and gorgeous, so why bother?

There should at least be white in between the blue and orange of the yoke.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Interesting point about the Devils being considered "O7".  Ironic since they're the 3rd incarnation of a franchise.

They certainly present themselves on ice like I'd imagine an O7 club would, but I'm not sure if the franchise is really in that class, despite all the success.

The Original 7ness of the Devils isn't just in having a conservative uniform design but the entire organizational culture as laid down by John McMullen and Lou Lamoriello, which was more allergic to individuality and pizzazz than some actual Original Six teams. They never believed in a marketing strategy more sophisticated than expecting people to turn out for a winning team, which they ensured by holding their players to ridiculous standards of discipline and self-sacrifice while just happening to have one of the best goaltenders of all time. They got quite a bit savvier about marketing after they stopped being an ignored subsidiary of the Yankees and had to hustle a little more to get people to Newark for a non-dynasty team, but they still feel like a pretty no-frills operation, especially compared to the teams with yammering Twitter accounts, churlish Jumbotron operators, or the all-out nonstop carnival John McDonough turned the Blackhawks into. After years of hating the Devils and all that they stood for in the nadir of the trap era, I've begrudgingly come to respect how much they cut the crap and how much their fans appreciate and expect that.

Honestly, if I had to think of another team that conducts itself as a relatively staid hockey organization that carries little emotional baggage and doesn't try to be more than what it is, I'd probably say the Ducks.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I saw the Vegas Golden Knights abbreviation for the first time today. It's awful.
VGK
How ugly does that look? And for what reason?
Most teams represent their city. PIT, CHI, BOS.
And only add the team to differentiate. NYR, NYI.

I think about two-word nicknames, Red Wings, Maple Leafs, but even they represent the city: DET, TOR.
The exception? Columbus. CBJ.
As much as I love the Jackets, they're not the model to follow here.

You're the first one to a new city. Vegas. Not even Las Vegas, LV would've been great. But it's not, so it's even easier:
VGS
VeGaS
It reads naturally. It works seamlessly. You're the only one there right now, own it.

OITGDNHL

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

3 minutes ago, hockey week said:

I saw the Vegas Golden Knights abbreviation for the first time today. It's awful.
VGK
How ugly does that look? And for what reason?
Most teams represent their city. PIT, CHI, BOS.
And only add the team to differentiate. NYR, NYI.

I think about two-word nicknames, Red Wings, Maple Leafs, but even they represent the city: DET, TOR.
The exception? Columbus. CBJ.
As much as I love the Jackets, they're not the model to follow here.

You're the first one to a new city. Vegas. Not even Las Vegas, LV would've been great. But it's not, so it's even easier:
VGS
VeGaS
It reads naturally. It works seamlessly. You're the only one there right now, own it.

OITGDNHL

Columbus is only an exception because of COLorado. But I wholeheartedly agree about Vegas.

3 hours ago, charger77 said:

Since the numbers are double layered as opposed to the tripled that were used to would the road jersey work without the white between the arm and hem striping? 

36808D04-43F0-472C-9729-D0E83203D5AA-4604-000005B2A41B0E9D.jpeg

From the back, this looks like some counterfeit Chicago Bears/hockey mashup abomination. Like on the front, there's the Blackhawks logo in orange and navy, with sunglasses and a Ditka mustache.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

12 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

From the back, this looks like some counterfeit Chicago Bears/hockey mashup abomination. Like on the front, there's the Blackhawks logo in orange and navy, with sunglasses and a Ditka mustache.

If this Eldritch Abomination you describe ever came into being it would replace the St. Patrick's Day Blackhawks sweater as the universal sign for douchebag.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oilers white jersey is looking pretty good, not a fan of the logo though. 

Is it supposed to look like oil is dripping down from the letters, or what is the meaning of the logo?

18 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

What other clubs would be "O7", at least from a visual perspective?  I don't think the term literally means O6+1, leaving room for more.

I can't think of any non O6 teams that haven't had major changes to their identities (even if they reverted back) except for the Flyers.  Even when they switched to black, they were still orange and black with the same logo they've always used, and they weathered the Edge storm with only a minor dent to their image.

Every other franchise has had either a significant logo change, full color changes, radical uniform redesigns, or are a relatively young franchise.

In the perfect world where the Penguins have been wearing some version of the current uniform since 1967, I'd say them. Obviously biased but I think it's a really timeless design.

I'd say other than Philadelphia the only other team that's always struck me as having a really strong look is St. Louis. Even though they messed with it in the 90's with the red and the edge design was obviously pretty bad, when St Louis looks their best they look like a O6 team.

The North Stars and Whalers would be in this conversation if they still existed, maybe.

In next years alternates are back so I wonder if Oilers navy jersey will have orange cuffs like normally have or not.

There is also one thing which intrigue me. Captains patches are also made with that perforate fabric (I mean only those teams which have perforate numbers)?

4r2eer.png

"O7" is an idiotic term.  As if the original six have never changed their logos, uniforms or even colour schemes...  Even with the recent change, the Devils uniform history has been more consistent than any of those teams, save (maybe) the Habs.

6 hours ago, Morgo said:

"O7" is an idiotic term.  As if the original six have never changed their logos, uniforms or even colour schemes...  Even with the recent change, the Devils uniform history has been more consistent than any of those teams, save (maybe) the Habs.

Truth. Hell, the Blue Jackets have been more consistent than the Blackhawks or Bruins.

Archived