MLB changes 2018?

ANGELCAT-IDA61

I guess since the Brewers home pants don't have any piping on it, Aguilar is wearing the Nationals style home pants along with all the none derby participants. It looks okay for non participants since they're wearing the all-star jerseys, however Aguilar is wearing a Brewers jersey. It looks weird.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AndrewG70 said:

The one AL participant is wearing his home uniform. Some are wearing ASG uniform pants. Something tells me that the teams will be wearing the ASG uniforms during tomorrow’s game.

I doubt they'd go to that extreme of a change one year to the next.

And I have to say didnt mind the ASG jerseys in the derby at all but it's hard to deny that this does look better. And it kinda works better that all the other players are wearing the ASG jerseys since they're not competing in anything and it highlights the actual derby participants while still showing off the ASG jerseys in the background. Best of both worlds I think. 

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:39 PM, Gothamite said:

If a city needs a decade of consistently winning teams, then it’s not a great baseball town.  Very few cities get a decade of consistently winning teams. 

But on the other hand, and obviously setting aside two titles, has any fanbase other than Montreal been :censored:ed harder than the Marlins' base? Starting out in a crappy stadium in the suburbs, winning a title, then having it burnt to the ground within a year. Five more years of crap, then an improbable title (featuring only half a year of decent baseball). Then immediately burnt to the ground again. Several more years or crap. Then, as the team finally gets its crown jewel ballpark (which is obviously disastrous for the city), they promise a bright future and spend a whole lot in free agency. A year later, burnt to the ground for the third time. A few more years of not trying, then the team was on the brink of contention at the end of 2016. They very likely would have been in strong competition for the playoffs in 2017 had Fernandez not died. But a year later, it is burnt to the ground for a forth time. This time, the new face of the team, who fans had distrust of in general, sent their best player to his former team, paid a bunch of his salary in the process, and got a big pile of crap in return.

So, if you overlook the titles, this franchise has intentionally destroyed itself four times in 25 years. Four fire sales! The fans have repeatedly been promised big things and then kicked in the nuts. They were owned by an indifferent boob, then by the sleaziest conman MLB has seen in the last 50 years. Now a perceived out-of-towner who is carrying on the proud tradition of crying poor while turning a huge profit before a single ticket is sold.

Why should any Miamian trust this franchise ever again? It might take a decade of contention to wash away the filth of franchise's past. Baseball may or may not have succeeded in south Florida under a different situation, but it has gotten to the point where the team's existence is collecting welfare until an unexpected playoff run, then unloading its top players for more money. The Marlins fans certainly haven't come out as expected, but it's easy to see why. Miami might never be a decent baseball town because of what the Marlins have done. But if Miami ever does become a good baseball town, it will take a lot of heavy lifting.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Long story short, despite all the past drama, Derek Jeter is a new owner and has nothing to do with past owners... even though he seemingly started out rough (which he had to do in my opinion) he deserves the benefit of the doubt for now that he can fix this problem. 

Can't get much deeper than that without derailing this thread. 

1 hour ago, TheOldRoman said:

But on the other hand, and obviously setting aside two titles, has any fanbase other than Montreal been :censored:ed harder than the Marlins' base?

With two world championships?  Yeah.  A lot of fanbases.

Sure, fire sales suck.  It's nice to see the same players stay their entire careers.  But the Marlins rebuilt from their first championship to win another six years later.  That's an incredible feat, and there a whole bunch of fanbases who would gladly take some bad years and some rebuilding years to touch something like that.

3 hours ago, MJD7 said:

It’s funny, I ended up feeling the opposite. I was disappointed, I liked that the Derby used the special jerseys so you could distinguish what year it was. Looking back at the old Home Run Derbies you could immediately tell who the host was because of the jerseys.

I guess the ballpark ought to tell you that as fast as (if not faster than) a jersey.

It's where I sit.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

With two world championships?  Yeah.  A lot of fanbases.

Sure, fire sales suck.  It's nice to see the same players stay their entire careers.  But the Marlins rebuilt from their first championship to win another six years later.  That's an incredible feat, and there a whole bunch of fanbases who would gladly take some bad years and some rebuilding years to touch something like that.

I'd love to have two titles. I'm still stunned finally to have one in 2017 after a 55-season wait. If anything, I've often thought Marlins fans don't deserve either title because they had to wait a whopping five seasons for their first. And the Miami-area fanbase isn't exactly a diehard base if the Marlins ownership had to have a fire sale in '98 after winning the first.

14 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I LOVE that the Home Run Derby participants are in their primary uniforms. I’ve never been that big a fan of the special uniforms at all and I think this looks a lot better. I hope this becomes a long-standing tradition. That’s just me though.

13 hours ago, MJD7 said:

It’s funny, I ended up feeling the opposite. I was disappointed, I liked that the Derby used the special jerseys so you could distinguish what year it was. Looking back at the old Home Run Derbies you could immediately tell who the host was because of the jerseys.

I like it, but I had gotten used to the players wearing the host-specific jerseys. The best of both worlds was when the players wore the ASG jerseys, but their own team's actual hat.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Not sure if it's been discussed, but am I the only one tired of the recycled HR Derby logo from 2016 being trotted out every year? I get that the T-Mobile sponsorship makes this an easy reason why, but I do miss the logos that were stylized off of the ASG design in years past.

Also, I'm looking to see if those state flag jerseys will sell as authentics. There's nothing on the MLB Shop website, but I did see this jersey in the team store at the yard when I picked up the giveaway jersey. Looks like I may have to go back there sometime if it doesn't appear elsewhere.

6NDRnk6.jpg

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

A Look at the 2018 MLB All-Star Game Uniforms

July 17, 2018 - 16:47 PM

America’s Pastime will hold it’s annual Mid-Summer Classic in their capital city tonight, a pairing that seems so natural it’s hard to believe it’s the first time Washington has hosted in half-a-century, the last Major League Baseball All-Star Game played […]

Read More...

Of the caps linked above, the Cubs, Phillies and Rangers look like Expos caps with the wrong logo.  I can't unsee it.

spacer.png                                                    Chicago_White_Sox.svg

To the mods, 

Can we try to keep the MLB mega- thread in Sports Logos about sports logos and put arguments about teams in Florida and who had it worse than Montreal fans in General Sports threads?

Thanks in advance for whatever you can do!

10 hours ago, cheo25 said:

I'd love to have two titles. I'm still stunned finally to have one in 2017 after a 55-season wait. If anything, I've often thought Marlins fans don't deserve either title because they had to wait a whopping five seasons for their first. And the Miami-area fanbase isn't exactly a diehard base if the Marlins ownership had to have a fire sale in '98 after winning the first.

Since when is there a requirement to how many years a fanbase has to wait to get a championship? I feel like I get what you were trying to say but "deserve" was probably a poor choice of wording there. 

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I wonder if the DBacks had to get permission to wear an alternate jersey at the ASG this year. 

I was wondering about this because the hat is red/white/black.

also, why not slap a gray front panel on the AL teams?

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived