College Football uniforms- 2018

FightingGoldenDevil

Yeah, Lukas nailed it. This is all about making the Gophers PJ Fleck first, and Minnesota second. I don't care what heartfelt and tragic place "Row The Boat" comes from, it is clearly an exercise in further elevating one man above his players and his school, just like it was at Western Michigan. Fleck strikes me as a man who is uncomfortably off, and not in the usual college football coach way, either.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Yeah, Lukas nailed it. This is all about making the Gophers PJ Fleck first, and Minnesota second. I don't care what heartfelt and tragic place "Row The Boat" comes from, it is clearly an exercise in further elevating one man above his players and his school, just like it was at Western Michigan. Fleck strikes me as a man who is uncomfortably off, and not in the usual college football coach way, either.

Idunno man, not everyone can go 5-7 at Minnesota.

13 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

PJ Fleck donates all licensing money made off the Row the Boat branding to childrens hospitals

Good for him. That still doesn't make it any less dumb to put a giant oar on Minnesota's helmet.

spacer.png

37 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

PJ Fleck donates all licensing money made off the Row the Boat branding to childrens hospitals

Then make t-shirts or other memorabilia. Don't use your own personal branding to override the university's decades of tradition. He's promoting himself over the university. The ends don't justify the means.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

14 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

Then make t-shirts or other memorabilia. Don't use your own personal branding to override the university's decades of tradition. He's promoting himself over the university. The ends don't justify the means.

Seriously. At what point did a such a large swath of society start justifying and subsequently accepting poor and selfish behavior as long as a portion of the benefit goes to a cause?

24 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Seriously. At what point did a such a large swath of society start justifying and subsequently accepting poor and selfish behavior as long as a portion of the benefit goes to a cause?

A little off topic, but I think people in the sports world get too good of a rep for being public about their donations to causes.

I know, it sounds kinda dumb to say because it doesn’t ever by any means make them a worse person to donate, but it seems that so many athletes these days are always dealing in their foundations and charities and fat donations to where it seems outright compulsory for them to do so. I’m sure a good number of them are instructed to do so behind the scenes for PR reasons.

Their contributions are more than welcome, but they shouldn’t really be brought up in conversations of whether or not a player is a good guy because they don’t do much to separate them from their peers at all (and they most certainly don’t counteract assault allegations and convictions, as some seem to believe<_<).

I feel the same way about when schools do a big "support the troops" thing. 

It feels contrived, fake and put-on. Those demonstrations usually have almost nothing to do with benefitting the cause and everything to do with circlejerking the sponsor. 

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

4 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

That's great, seriously.  But it really doesn't have that much to do with the on-field stuff, does it?  Specifically the helmet.  It's not like fans are snapping up replica helmets for the oar stripe.  T-shirts, hats, hoodies... knock yourself out. But I really don't like the optics of this guy plastering what seems to be a person branding/motto on the team's uniform.

4 hours ago, Gupti said:

A little off topic, but I think people in the sports world get too good of a rep for being public about their donations to causes.

I know, it sounds kinda dumb to say because it doesn’t ever by any means make them a worse person to donate, but it seems that so many athletes these days are always dealing in their foundations and charities and fat donations to where it seems outright compulsory for them to do so. I’m sure a good number of them are instructed to do so behind the scenes for PR reasons.

Their contributions are more than welcome, but they shouldn’t really be brought up in conversations of whether or not a player is a good guy because they don’t do much to separate them from their peers at all (and they most certainly don’t counteract assault allegations and convictions, as some seem to believe<_<).

Don't forget the sweet sweet write offs from the IRS. I mean hosting a charity golf tournament at the nicest country club in town followed up with the lobster buffet and open bar requires dedication. Then you have to schedule your annual board meeting in Hawaii which you flew business instead of 1st because you didn't want to look like you were taking advantage of the system. Celebrity charity is hard work.

On 2/20/2018 at 8:43 AM, kabbey520 said:

WHAT ARE THOSE!!!!

Minnesota AD: “One of our trucks broke down and all our players have in their bags are pants.”

Purdue AD: “We got some weird alternate gear from a few years back you can wear.”

On 2/20/2018 at 9:09 AM, flyersfan said:

Since when has Minnesota become anthracite?

they had a cool brand with the maroon and “gold” cuz Arizona state ruined their chance with those colors. 

And if anyone on this forum knows anything about me, I hate chrome helmets. And this kills me. 

To be honest I actually liked their old stuff with a few minor tweaks but this just sucks.

why can’t “row the boat” be simply an inside the collar thing like lots of teams do

Minnesota took just as many unforunate liberties with their school colors as ASU or any other middle tier Power 5 school.

usa_today_8895662.0.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

11 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Minnesota AD: “One of our trucks broke down and all our players have in their bags are pants.”

Purdue AD: “We got some weird alternate gear from a few years back you can wear.”

Minnesota took just as many unforunate liberties with their school colors as ASU or any other middle tier Power 5 school.

usa_today_8895662.0.jpg

What is crazy is that I think that that anthracite/grey/dark gray, whatever you want to call it, is less offensive than the nonsense that Fleck has pushed on the Gophers. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

1 hour ago, bkknight95 said:

What is crazy is that I think that that anthracite/grey/dark gray, whatever you want to call it, is less offensive than the nonsense that Fleck has pushed on the Gophers. 

It is, without question, though that doesn’t make it good; without the benefit of having the new one for comparison, their old look wasn’t great and was guilty of many of the same sins, just to a lesser degree.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

It is, without question, though that doesn’t make it good; without the benefit of having the new one for comparison, their old look wasn’t great and was guilty of many of the same sins, just to a lesser degree.

Completely agree with you. They don't need a grey alternate in any capacity. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

13 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

usa_today_8895662.0.jpg

At least the Gophers did one thing right on their new uniforms is that they got rid of the messy flywire that became way too of an eyesore.

16 minutes ago, orangefaniniowa said:

At least the Gophers did one thing right on their new uniforms is that they got rid of the messy flywire that became way too of an eyesore.

And the black facemasks that made no sense.

Archived