NFL changes 2019

FightingGoldenDevil

2 hours ago, hawk36 said:

It may not be the same purple, but it looks very similar here. 

52a4e9bd69beddff3a8631aa-750-563.jpg

What a great game that was.  5 TDs in the last 3:00 minutes of the game.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, hawk36 said:

It may not be the same purple, but it looks very similar here. 

52a4e9bd69beddff3a8631aa-750-563.jpg

It's definitely a different shade of purple, I have a Teddy Bridgewater jersey that was mistakenly made in the Ravens shade of purple and it's a distinctly different shade next to the correct color

On 5/7/2019 at 2:15 PM, DPHF said:

Says who? Maybe not for the shell, but the padding on the inside often needs a lot of breaking in. Ever played in a new helmet? Some of those pads can feel like rocks pressing against your head until they get worked a bit, even with air in there. 

Says a professional sporting goods team dealer/sales rep and high school football coach with factory-direct training.  I have sold and/or have experience with Riddell, Schutt, Xenith and Vicis helmets.  

You might be thinking about a helmet you played in years ago, which were generally vinyl-covered foam with air pockets.  Things have changed, both in helmet technology and how a player is properly fitted into the correct helmet, which is paramount to the athlete's safety.  

5 minutes ago, Volt said:

Says a professional sporting goods team dealer/sales rep and high school football coach with factory-direct training.  I have sold and/or have experience with Riddell, Schutt, Xenith and Vicis helmets.  

You might be thinking about a helmet you played in years ago, which were generally vinyl-covered foam with air pockets.  Things have changed, both in helmet technology and how a player is properly fitted into the correct helmet, which is paramount to the athlete's safety.  

As someone who played in a brand spanking new riddell speedflex this past fall, they definitely need breaking in. It felt hard as a rock the first week of camp and gave me and my teammates headaches unless it was loosened to an unsafe fit. IDK if that's common or not but it affected us

S8eR5Rf.png

Q2XFfoc.jpg

38 minutes ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

As someone who played in a brand spanking new riddell speedflex this past fall, they definitely need breaking in. It felt hard as a rock the first week of camp and gave me and my teammates headaches unless it was loosened to an unsafe fit. IDK if that's common or not but it affected us

Riddell and that old foam...

On 5/8/2019 at 9:18 AM, FALCON6 said:

I never understood why the new logo is hated so much. It's far more streamlined and less cartoon-ish than the old one. Overall, a more dignified brand.

U69VUv5.jpg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 hours ago, Volt said:

Here are the Panthers rookies coming in for helmet fitting

https://www.panthers.com/video/2019-rookies-get-set-for-first-taste-of-the-nfl

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

On 5/10/2019 at 9:09 PM, dont care said:

He specifically said he used a Riddell speedflex with no old foam and instead uses gel, rubber, and air pads.

All current mainstream helmets use air pads and have for years.. and the speedflex certainly uses foam.. I'll be happy to take one apart tomorrow and post photos.. I don't know where the "gel" is located, but I haven't seen it, and I've taken several completely apart..

On 5/10/2019 at 10:22 AM, FightingGoldenDevil said:

That's due more to the fact that your heads needed to acclimate to having a helmet on, rather than breaking the helmet in.. players have the same issue every year, regardless of the age of the helmet.. essentially, players need to "break in" their heads more than their helmets.. in fact, I had 2 players purchase their own helmets in the middle of our spring practice schedule, and went right into them on Day 1 with no issue or discomfort.. because they had already gotten their heads used to having a helmet on it..

On 5/10/2019 at 10:15 AM, Volt said:

I agree 100% with every bit of your statement except this last bit.. and I properly fit all my guys, just to cover my behind, but all the new technology going into helmets is designed to allow the helmet to essentially move a bit more - independently from the head/skull, and I presume many of the CTE-suffering ex-players probably had their helmets properly fit.. I know there's the basic logical reasons that suggest "proper fit" improves safety, but I can't imagine a scenario where a slightly loose fit results in more scrambled brains.. Especially with much of the newer technology acting in a similar way.. I'd love to get your take on it

And just to clarify.. this is just sort of a theory I've always kinda had - even back in my playing days.. and I've never heard a good explanation of why it's paramount to player safety to have a properly fit helmet (other than basic circular reasoning type logic), and I can present a pretty decent argument for the benefits of slightly-too-loose helmets.. so it's just a discussion that's always interested me

10 hours ago, WavePunter said:

All current mainstream helmets use air pads and have for years.. and the speedflex certainly uses foam.. I'll be happy to take one apart tomorrow and post photos.. I don't know where the "gel" is located, but I haven't seen it, and I've taken several completely apart..

That's due more to the fact that your heads needed to acclimate to having a helmet on, rather than breaking the helmet in.. players have the same issue every year, regardless of the age of the helmet.. essentially, players need to "break in" their heads more than their helmets.. in fact, I had 2 players purchase their own helmets in the middle of our spring practice schedule, and went right into them on Day 1 with no issue or discomfort.. because they had already gotten their heads used to having a helmet on it..

I agree 100% with every bit of your statement except this last bit.. and I properly fit all my guys, just to cover my behind, but all the new technology going into helmets is designed to allow the helmet to essentially move a bit more - independently from the head/skull, and I presume many of the CTE-suffering ex-players probably had their helmets properly fit.. I know there's the basic logical reasons that suggest "proper fit" improves safety, but I can't imagine a scenario where a slightly loose fit results in more scrambled brains.. Especially with much of the newer technology acting in a similar way.. I'd love to get your take on it

And just to clarify.. this is just sort of a theory I've always kinda had - even back in my playing days.. and I've never heard a good explanation of why it's paramount to player safety to have a properly fit helmet (other than basic circular reasoning type logic), and I can present a pretty decent argument for the benefits of slightly-too-loose helmets.. so it's just a discussion that's always interested me

I can definitely say that wearing an ACH (Kevlar helmet) too loosely while driving certain vehicles is just as dangerous as not wearing one. The same is true of football helmets. As far as the headaches, I had the same issues when going lobg periods of time not wearing one. Even more interesting was a buddy that was wearing the newer helmets borrowed mine, which was an older model. He complained about how much his head and neck hurt as a result because mine was 3 pounds heavier than the newer model. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

54 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I can definitely say that wearing an ACH (Kevlar helmet) too loosely while driving certain vehicles is just as dangerous as not wearing one. The same is true of football helmets. As far as the headaches, I had the same issues when going lobg periods of time not wearing one. Even more interesting was a buddy that was wearing the newer helmets borrowed mine, which was an older model. He complained about how much his head and neck hurt as a result because mine was 3 pounds heavier than the newer model. 

truly not trying to be argumentative, but what evidence exists to suggest this is true? i'm genuinely curious.. and here's some of why:

newer helmet technology actually mimics similar affects of "loosely" fitting helmets..

examples:

Riddell - their speedflex helmets "flex" with hits, allowing parts of the helmet to "move with the impact" a bit before the head/skull begins to be affected by the impact

Schutt - their F7 helmets have their "tektonic plate" technology to function very similarly to the aforementioned Riddell SpeedFlex, but in slightly more directions and with multiple plates

Vicis - their Zero1 helmets flex and conform to impacts similarly to both Schutt and Riddell, although more uniformely and completely, PLUS their helmet shells are attatched via multiple "columns", allowing the shell to twist and shift with hits as well.. 

i've really never understood how "looseness" has such negative impacts on protection in helmets.. your head is still impacted by the exact same padding either way.. simply allowing the head/skull to travel an extra 1/8" before the "abrupt stop" process begins doesn't seem like it would have any adverse effects.. if anything, allowing the helmet to move, shift, and twist slightly with the impact before the head/skull is affected seems like it would actually be a benefit, rather than a liability.. especially since lots of the new helmet technology is designed to achieve this exact goal.. a snug fit with "tighter" helmet components = less head/skull movement at impact.. when the head/skull moves less (or "STOPS" more), the brain continues to move and smacks into the inside fo the skull faster, sooner, and with more force... allowing the neck and head/skull to be affected less at impact would only help, which helmet companies are now realizing.

also worth mentioning - i'm only discussing safety/danger/etc in terms of brain safety/concussion issues.. i fully understand a loose helmet might slide down and bust your nose up or whatever.. not talking about minor cosmetic injuries, but rather the concussion-related discussion associated with helmets.. 

11 hours ago, WavePunter said:

You are 100% correct on your first 2 paragraphs.  My point on "proper fit" is two-fold and I'll elaborate:

1.  My meaning of this is that sometimes, no matter how many interchangeable components there are or how much you can customize the fit of a helmet, it just doesn't fully fit a kid's head shape properly.  A Schutt will fit slightly different than a Riddell or a Xenith or a Vicis because of the one factor in the equation that the helmet cannot control:  the player's head shape.  It's really difficult to determine which ones are best, so equipment managers and coaches (at least, the good ones) should always stock several brands of helmets and not get married to one brand.  Players have fit/comfort preferences but sometimes players think a helmet fits properly and it doesn't, or sometimes we fit a helmet properly by one standard (say, 1" above brow) but the helmet just doesn't sit on their head shape properly, leaving them less protected than what we think, either in the back of the skull or in the jaw area.  It kills me as a dealer now (and former high school coach) to hear a coach say, "Oh, we only wear *BRAND X* helmet".  He is not looking out for the best interest of his players, he is buying b/c of a deal he got, a relationship with the seller that he has, or b/c he's not educated.  I believe this is why colleges often stock various brands (outside of player preference) and why both colleges and the NFL allow players to choose - it also alleviates some liability if the player has a choice.  But again, various helmets will not fit various head shapes & sizes perfectly, is my point.

2.  I don't know that I can agree with your assertion that a slightly loose fit would not result in more scrambled brains.  At all.  The technical/medical term is escaping me at the moment, but these new helmets are engineered to either deflect or absorb impact, reducing "whiplash" of the head.  Concussions are caused by your brain getting bounced against the skull by force.  If a helmet is worn more loosely, that allows for the skull to move around inside the helmet, and the brain to be bounced around inside the skull, especially when the back of the player's helmet is slammed to the ground.  The reason the SpeedFlex, F7, and Zero1 are so popular, is because each has a design that either deflects or absorbs force to reduce the amount of moving around the brain can do inside the skull, inside the helmet.  I can't say I'd ever want a kid wearing a slightly loose helmet, for that and others reasons (comes off during play, pushes down on the nose, etc.).  A helmet needs to fit securely and that's an ongoing inspection thing that should be done by coaches and/or equipment managers weekly, if not daily.

7 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

truly not trying to be argumentative, but what evidence exists to suggest this is true? i'm genuinely curious.. and here's some of why:

newer helmet technology actually mimics similar affects of "loosely" fitting helmets..

examples:

Riddell - their speedflex helmets "flex" with hits, allowing parts of the helmet to "move with the impact" a bit before the head/skull begins to be affected by the impact

Schutt - their F7 helmets have their "tektonic plate" technology to function very similarly to the aforementioned Riddell SpeedFlex, but in slightly more directions and with multiple plates

Vicis - their Zero1 helmets flex and conform to impacts similarly to both Schutt and Riddell, although more uniformely and completely, PLUS their helmet shells are attatched via multiple "columns", allowing the shell to twist and shift with hits as well.. 

i've really never understood how "looseness" has such negative impacts on protection in helmets.. your head is still impacted by the exact same padding either way.. simply allowing the head/skull to travel an extra 1/8" before the "abrupt stop" process begins doesn't seem like it would have any adverse effects.. if anything, allowing the helmet to move, shift, and twist slightly with the impact before the head/skull is affected seems like it would actually be a benefit, rather than a liability.. especially since lots of the new helmet technology is designed to achieve this exact goal.. a snug fit with "tighter" helmet components = less head/skull movement at impact.. when the head/skull moves less (or "STOPS" more), the brain continues to move and smacks into the inside fo the skull faster, sooner, and with more force... allowing the neck and head/skull to be affected less at impact would only help, which helmet companies are now realizing.

also worth mentioning - i'm only discussing safety/danger/etc in terms of brain safety/concussion issues.. i fully understand a loose helmet might slide down and bust your nose up or whatever.. not talking about minor cosmetic injuries, but rather the concussion-related discussion associated with helmets.. 

20 years of safety investigations. If there's a catastrophic event where a Soldier's helmet becomes a projectile due to poor wear they've caused injuries to themselves and others when that helmet is bouncing aroubd the cabin. Anytime there's a serious accident we'd get the report and findings. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Also loose fitting helmet increases the chance of whip lash, and neck injuries. Side note, did you know that by regulation if you are on a paved road you are not suppose to wear a helmet because it actually causes more damage in an accident at higher speeds. Our CSM still requires us too despite showing him the regulation. He just says “I :censored:ing hate these officers, trying to site regulations to get out of wearing proper PPE” and then makes us still wear them.

1 hour ago, j'villejags said:

There seems to be a lot of smoke for the Jaguars to potentially see a throwback alternate this season. Mitchell & Ness is now dropping this -- 

Hell yes. Hopefully Nike would not include that side panel though. Oof.

As much as I like those photos, I'm not sure M&N is dropping any hints other than "M&N has new throwback unis we are going to sell next month."

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived