College Football 2019

29texan

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Htown1141 said:

so we aren't gonna talk about how the outside corners are rounded but the inside corners look like the rams throwbacks? Because that seems kinda wack ngl

I think that’s what makes them unique. Sure, it’s not the natural choice, but if everyone always did exactly what was expected, we’d never stumble upon anything new or interesting.

Of course, they need more branding to support it if this style is going to be a school-wide thing, but I think it has potential. Honestly, I’d guess that they chamfered the inside corners to link it to the BU monogram and BAYLOR wordmark a little.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

21 hours ago, Gupti said:

Arbitrary notches in number fonts to make them “unique” have become very popular ever since Michigan State started doing it back in 2010. The 3 and 9 even have the exact same notches. Feels like every irrelevant team is turning to them nowadays to “stand out”, but MSU is definitely the prototype for them. They’ve gotten very hackneyed at this point, especially since they have since put MSU’s font exactly as it is in the catalog.

Notches in fonts have been around WAAAAAAY before 2010....

2 hours ago, MEANS said:

And as proof of evidence...

ocbsok-b88781418z.120160822122415000g5ci

That's just one example...the LA Avengers of the (original) Arena League, circa 2000. And depending on one's definition of "notches", one can even go back to the Colorado Avalanche circa '96.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

27 minutes ago, Buc said:

That's just one example...the LA Avengers of the (original) Arena League, circa 2000. And depending on one's definition of "notches", one can even go back to the Colorado Avalanche circa '96.

And every Russell football team in 1998. 

110074766_amazoncom-white-no-10-game-use

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, Buc said:

Damn, look how fast those are! That face, though:

spacer.png

Pick a scene, really.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

16 hours ago, Buc said:

Todd Marinovich... man. What a hand he was dealt.

That number font looks like the Heat's but with notches.

19 hours ago, MEANS said:

I’m speaking very specifically about those “cut-out” inner notches that started with MSU. Every team that’s tried to use them since looked at MSU for inspiration.

27 minutes ago, Gupti said:

I’m speaking very specifically about those “cut-out” inner notches that started with MSU. Every team that’s tried to use them since looked at MSU for inspiration.

Baylor had those at the same time Michigan State did. It's Nike just rolling with what they designed and schools picking that out of the catalog instead of Florida State

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Baylor had those at the same time Michigan State did. It's Nike just rolling with what they designed and schools picking that out of the catalog instead of Florida State

Baylor never had notches in their numbers, unless it’s from before 2000. They have the current custom font, and before that they used black. Michigan states font came out in 2010 and was made popular and copied by everyone since then.

46 minutes ago, dont care said:

Baylor never had notches in their numbers, unless it’s from before 2000. They have the current custom font, and before that they used black. Michigan states font came out in 2010 and was made popular and copied by everyone since then.

Baylor's current font has notches.. Michigan State's font is older though (MSU - 2010, BU - 2013)

22 hours ago, Buc said:

I'd call those streaks, not notches. A notch is a cut into something, not an extension of it.

4 hours ago, Gupti said:

The Detroit Lions had notches a year before MSU. But I would agree that MSU's were more of a catalyst for the greater trend, especially in college and high school.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, henburg said:

spacer.png

Predators did it waaay before MSU did

The Yankees weren't the first team to wear pinstripes either. Notches are an MSU thing.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

Looks like Oregon State will be revealing new uniforms on April 20th:

Hopefully they’re similar to the Retro Benny uniforms from this past season:

spacer.png

If I had to guess I’d say they’ll be somewhat similar to those, but with their proprietary number font and the current beaver logo instead of the Retro Benny logo.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

13 minutes ago, andyfootball67 said:

Can we talk about how April is like the best month of the year for uniforms/uniform news. so excited to see whats to come!!

Yeah, i've said this before but people like to complain about college football having a million uniforms (and rightfully so)...but i love consuming it. 

Archived