MLB Changes 2020

kolob

On 2/14/2020 at 9:27 AM, OBomb said:

As a Padres fan myself I'm biased; but these ST unis are great. I always hated the interlocking SD look on the blue jerseys because they were bland. But in brown and yellow it looks distinguishable. It's also weird seeing Trevor Hoffman wearing brown and yellow since he wore blue in his playing days. Also of note is that those are the pants that will be worn with the regular road uniform (brown top with tan pants). This shade of tan looks better than the shade used on the 2004-2010 away uniforms.

The Padres have been wearing their Sunday military tribute pants with the BP jerseys as well.  
spacer.png

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/16/2020 at 11:56 AM, WSU151 said:

WTF is Nike doing...which galaxy brain over in Beaverton was like "everyone remembers Mike Piazza on the late 80s Mets!"

ff_3599477-321a18587987c596fc1ealt1_full

it's not just nike. majestic did that, too. you can get piazza on a majestic-made '87 road replica on fanatics right now.  

but if it makes you feel better, you can pretend this is a 2002 throwback. the mets wore the racing stripes that year for two throwback games against the marlins: july 15-16, 2002, though piazza didn't play in either game. he was scratched from the lineup on monday with a sore back (https://apnews.com/6c40109c4ad7ddf8860044ca2cd67f7e), then sat out the day game on tuesday as well, before returning to the lineup the next day. funny how he *just* missed wearing these at least once in his career. the next time the mets wore the racing stripes was in '06 for the 20th anniversary of the '86 mets. that season was the mets' first without piazza's since acquiring him in may of '98.

sig2024.png

17 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

That font could be better but I love the "taco bell" Padres era.  Partly for nostalgic reasons, but also the three colors.

I guess that’s one take. IMO Big reason they didn’t flub the recent redesign is they stayed away from both that font and the three colors. 

22 hours ago, bosrs1 said:
On 2/18/2020 at 1:07 AM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

That font could be better but I love the "taco bell" Padres era.  Partly for nostalgic reasons, but also the three colors.

I guess that’s one take. IMO Big reason they didn’t flub the recent redesign is they stayed away from both that font and the three colors. 

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Which was a really good call.  Brown and gold is a fantastic color scheme, but orange just takes it too far.

I am a big fan of that font. It is cheerful without being corny; it is distinctive and memorable; and (for those who care about such things) it is associated with the first championship in team history.

And I am an equally big detractor of the orange, which muddled a sharp colour combination. So for me, the 1984 home uniform with orange removed would be ideal.

The other nitpick I will bring up is the monogram. The old one was a pair of letters interlocking in a traditional manner, in the same way that the PCL Padres' monogram did. 

fdjn4hd4asqsmf4vri52ydggg.png

This elegant monogram gives the impression of the D hung on the bottom of the S. And it is exquisitely balanced, with the space inside the top loop of the S complementing the space in the D.

By contrast, all of the monograms since 1985 have looked askew, with the S just shoved awkwardly into the D's open space. This gives a squished feeling; the balance of the traditional monogram is lost. (And the less said about that gap in the straight line of the D, the better.)

But the return of brown makes up for several flaws, and gives plenty of reason to rejoice.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

44 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I am a big fan of that font. It is cheerful without being corny; it is distinctive and memorable; and (for those who care about such things) it is associated with the first championship in team history.

And I am an equally big detractor of the orange, which muddled a sharp colour combination. So for me, the 1984 home uniform with orange removed would be ideal.

The other nitpick I will bring up is the monogram. The old one was a pair of letters interlocking in a traditional manner, in the same way that the PCL Padres' monogram did. 

This elegant monogram gives the impression of the D hung on the bottom of the S. And it is exquisitely balanced, with the space inside the top loop of the S complementing the space in the D.

By contrast, all of the monograms since 1985 have looked askew, with the S just shoved awkwardly into the D's open space. This gives a squished feeling; the balance of the traditional monogram is lost. (And the less said about that gap in the straight line of the D, the better.)

But the return of brown makes up for several flaws, and gives plenty of reason to rejoice.

Gonna have to disagree on the logo. The original logo had a fatal flaw in real usage... it was too small on caps. Largely due to how much wasted space it had around it. The 85 logo tightened it up putting a lot more visible logo in the same space.

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The overly-angled letters weakens this monogram quite a bit. The S is also a bit awkward on its own. as the down stroke on the top is closer to the middle cross stroke than the upstroke on the bottom, if that makes sense. 

The hooking letters are indeed much more clever here though.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 2/18/2020 at 5:53 AM, Ray Lankford said:

Playing loose with the definition of "major overhaul" there.

The question was “How often has a team a year after a major overhaul changed uniforms? ”. 

1977 Padres uniform:

spacer.png

1978:

spacer.png

Not a “major overhaul”?

Then they changed in 79 and 80.  Is that not what the OP asked?  Is that “playing loose”? 

11 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I just realized how weird it's going to look when the Brewers have a home game against the Padres. Unless the Brewers opt for the navy alt or pinstripes, it's gonna be cream vs. brown.

The Padres will play many more road games in San Francisco than in Milwaukee. 

46 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I was looking at the Padres uniforms in the ST pics on their Instagram and wow they nailed these colors... they look amazing in reality/natural sunlight.

My only complaint so far is the White on the socks. Should've been yellow

34 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

My only complaint so far is the White on the socks. Should've been yellow

That definitely feels like some kind of mistake that will be fixed. Like maybe they actually had an issue with shipping the new socks or something. It seems too weird that they'd get everything so right yet leave out the socks.

On 2/14/2020 at 11:23 PM, mjd77 said:

$200 at Fanatics.  But ughhh...that wordmark ruins it.

spacer.png

200 is also way too much.

and no contrast stripes around neck, cuffs or hem.

Looks like a cheap rain coat.  Coaches will def. not  look as good as in the past. 

Just a cheep looking fan jacket, not much "Pro" about this look, and 200? gtfo

here they are

https://www.mlbshop.com/?query=Authentic Collection Dugout Full-Zip Jacket

Archived