NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

The NHL did a lot worse than that Stars set.

The Blues almost had a good thing going with that '90s set. The biggest problem is that they lost the plot and made red the secondary color instead of the tertiary color. And either way, there would have been too much of it. Lower the diagonal stripes, smooth out the angle a little bit, and you have something that could have held up a few years longer. Oh, and the collar, not sure what they were thinking there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

That’s the single-ugliest NHL uniform set, IMHO. It’s legitimately repulsive with how messy it was.

The North Stars, much like their hockey business, could never develop a truly good look.

Everyone has their own opinion, but these, much to my dismay as a Canucks fan (though I was only a couple years old back then), existed.

spacer.png

5 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

tumblr_p0icwebBUi1wzw0ebo1_1280.gif

That’s the single-ugliest NHL uniform set, IMHO. It’s legitimately repulsive with how messy it was.

The North Stars, much like their hockey business, could never develop a truly good look.

You say that as if the set that followed it was better. The black-as-primary look worked well for the Dallas Stars. It didn't work well for the Minnesota North Stars.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Just now, Kevin W. said:

You say that as if the set that followed it was better. The black-as-primary look worked well for the Dallas Stars. It didn't work well for the Minnesota North Stars.

I give that one leeway, as it was clear the North Stars were moving by that point (be it to Anaheim or Dallas). It was a transitional set with a new structure and a cleaner look. It wasn’t a design that had black shoehorned into it, resulting in a busy mess that looked hideous. 

1 hour ago, M4One said:

Everyone has their own opinion, but these, much to my dismay as a Canucks fan (though I was only a couple years old back then), existed.

The difference is that those were an entirely new design, didn’t have double outlines and drop shadow, and used better shades of the team colors. It’s much better than the black-injected North Stars.

11 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

This, I disagree with strongly; the North Stars adding black to their jerseys was the best that team ever looked. Kelly green, white and yellow would probably be just as obnoxious on today's cameras as the Oilers' oranges. Adding black tamed the jersey and added some well-needed definition to it.

The Flames also look fine with black as long as you eliminate the stupid side striping that they keep for some god-forsaken reason and keep it as a secondary color. Again, it adds some extra definition to the jersey that looks great on the ice, which is important.

What you mean by obnoxious is that you disapprove of vibrant colours. There's a saying..."Less is more". The true North Stars look was kelly green, white and yellow-gold. Otherwise, they could have just gone to a similar green the Wild currently have. No different from the NBA SuperSonics. The Flames' red, white and yellow-gold is perfect for a team with a fire-themed name. In fact, NYC's fire trucks have the same striped design as the Flames' reds. No different from the KC Chiefs uniforms. Some teams have very dark primaries. Some teams have vibrant dark primaries. It's called variety. 

16 hours ago, M4One said:

spacer.png

I was just old enough to start to be aware of hockey around this time.  I think the 1981-82 season was the first hockey season I ever watched or understood anything about. Because the Canucks went to the Finals in these that year they are (as bad as they are) permanently etched in my memory as the "quintessential" Canucks look.

Yes, my therapist has been working hard on this but we haven't made the breakthrough yet...

St Louis Blues Bring Back 90s Trumpet Uniforms for Three in 2020

September 16, 2019 - 14:24 PM

If you’re going to make a return after a quarter-century, you’d better make a memorable entrance. So here’s the 1990s storming back to the sports uniform landscape with an appropriate literal fanfare ♫ The St. Louis Blues this past weekend […]

Read More...

The unused trumpet jersey would have been fantastic, and the 90’sest thing ever. They could even replace the notes with little Stanley Cups. 

That being said, I’m one of the few fans of the Gretzky jersey so this pleases me. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I personally love the throwback Blues jerseys. I love the design and don't think the red takes away from anything.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

It doesn't say anything about them wearing those jerseys that night though.

On 9/15/2019 at 10:41 AM, SFGiants58 said:

This is a wild take.

IbjBaeE.png

I’m so disappointed that of all of the teams doing 1990s nostalgia, Anaheim isn’t one of them. If Arizona, St. Louis, Vancouver and Los Angeles are all going to bring back/have already brought back 1990s designs in one way or another, there’s no reason why Anaheim can’t put the eggplant and jade on ice again. The Edge-ified retro jersey they wore for the 20th anniversary season looked great and there’s no reason why it couldn’t translate over to the Adidas cut. 

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

4 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

I’m so disappointed that of all of the teams doing 1990s nostalgia, Anaheim isn’t one of them. If Arizona, St. Louis, Vancouver and Los Angeles are all going to bring back/have already brought back 1990s designs in one way or another, there’s no reason why Anaheim can’t put the eggplant and jade on ice again. The Edge-ified retro jersey they wore for the 20th anniversary season looked great and there’s no reason why it couldn’t translate over to the Adidas cut. 

And really, if the Kings can do five jerseys and other teams can do four jerseys, there's no reason why the Ducks can't do four jerseys (if we include the leaked orange jersey coming back). 

Maybe next year. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

And really, if the Kings can do five jerseys and other teams can do four jerseys, there's no reason why the Ducks can't do four jerseys (if we include the leaked orange jersey coming back). 

Maybe next year. 

Wait, what? Five jerseys? They have home, road, third and retro. What did I miss?

Archived