NHL changes 2019-20

BJ Sands

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Flames1fan said:

ImageImageImage

Thank God.  The Flames need to go for broke both ways with this look. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

re. Flames: Looks fantastic, hopefully it'll be the new away soon. As a minor tangent, EA's NHL games for a literal decade now have had the Flames' 88-89 red jersey in the game, and thanks to the team's continued recycling of the sweater it's now in there thrice, in original, Edge & AdiZero cuts; the white jersey however was never added in. Maybe now that the real team's actually wearing it, they'll get off their butts and add it to NHL 20 soon.

re. Jets: Another fantastic sweater; I think the navy may be a bit too dark, but even still I like how the "Jets" wordmark pops on it. Incidentally it uses the exact same stripes as this old Rangers jersey I love so much: 
v1ShJyr.jpg
...And since the Rangers evidently have zero interest in ever bringing them back, I'm glad someone's willing to use it. :P 

re. Blues: Speaking as probably the only person who legitimately, unironically loves the Blues' "RBY" era uniforms, all I can say is hell yes. A beautiful, underrated colour scheme used almost-perfectly; as much as I'd love to see them return to it full-time I'd still rather they straighten the stripes (and numbers) & move them down a bit first. Ah well, still glad to see it back regardless. :D

Hell yeah, that's what I was hoping the commemorative jersey was going to be and they delivered. So excited for that to be seen on the ice in a modern game just for the nostalgia of it.

They've also changed their Twitter icon to the trumpet logo for the occasion.

I know I'm solidly in the minority, but I don't care for the Flames, Jets or Blues jerseys. The Flames' jerseys show the problem with their color scheme when you take black out of it: the red and yellow bleed together too much. There needs to be something to break them up. The Jets' jersey is an outdated design that screams 1970s logo-wise and it hasn't aged well. The Blues' jersey is a terrible design, regardless of the fact that the red does have significance to the city itself, and it's emblematic of a bad time in the team's history. Gretzky had it and lost it while wearing those jerseys.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

4 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

I know I'm solidly in the minority, but I don't care for the Flames, Jets or Blues jerseys. The Flames' jerseys show the problem with their color scheme when you take black out of it: the red and yellow bleed together too much. There needs to be something to break them up. The Jets' jersey is an outdated design that screams 1970s logo-wise and it hasn't aged well. The Blues' jersey is a terrible design, regardless of the fact that the red does have significance to the city itself, and it's emblematic of a bad time in the team's history. Gretzky had it and lost it while wearing those jerseys.

Who peed in your cereal? :)

Nah. Navy/royal/yellow is much better. The three primary colors rarely look good all in one package.

It’s a decent (and dated) retro design, but unlike the Flames (red and yellow “bleeding” is kind of the point of the design), I don’t want it back full-time. The Jets’ design is decent, but I prefer the current design to the navy/red. 

7 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

I'm GLAD there is no black in it! I hated the 90s trend of teams adding black for black sake to their uniforms. We have ZERO association with black in our Franchise history but what the hell everyone else is doing it so why not! There was absolutely no reason for Calgary and or Buffalo to add black to their uniforms UNLESS they were just doing it for the sake of adding black to their color scheme

I'm guessing this is a minority opinion, but I much prefer St. Louis with a single color of blue. 

Maybe because I'm a 90s kid I enjoy the red trumpet era- to me this is the point of an alternate jersey.  Maybe it's too obnoxious for 82 games, but every once in a while the music staff and red coloring makes an interesting change of pace.  The dual blue jerseys are just way too... drab?  Especially the homes... then they changed the yellow numbers to white?  No thanks.

It's also weird to me that navy was never used from '67 to '96.  I don't think it ever occurred to me that they started that "two blues" trend, but had no historical precedent (unless I guess 1997 is considered ancient history now!).

This is far and away their best look:

jordan.jpg

35 minutes ago, Fitzy0220 said:

I'm GLAD there is no black in it! I hated the 90s trend of teams adding black for black sake to their uniforms. We have ZERO association with black in our Franchise history but what the hell everyone else is doing it so why not! There was absolutely no reason for Calgary and or Buffalo to add black to their uniforms UNLESS they were just doing it for the sake of adding black to their color scheme

I didn’t like Calgary’s black uniform, but black trim looks good. Apart from the flaming snot shoulder patch, this is the best they’ve ever looked:

wwgFjT5.png

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

8 hours ago, Fitzy0220 said:

I disagree here! As I've said before, it's 2019, Games are being broadcast in HD, we watch these games at home on our HDTVs, Royal Blue and Orange POPPED on my HDTV, the Navy and Orange, not so much. In some instances Navy looks to much like Black (United States Navy dress blues and Police Officers uniforms) 

I'm pretty sure there is x number of fans who do prefer the retros.

However, one argument to be made though is that the royal blue throwbacks were phased out after kinda less than 5 years: 3 yrs with blue home and 2 yrs with the blue and the orange in a revolving door, before they retired the blue and the royal blue color entirely. For a scheme that pops on HDTV's, it didn't last very long.

I don't think retro fans are in the minority. But ultimately, management were the ones who decided what the final call would be and they went with orange and navy. I do think there's a split in what fans enjoy more, though.

Archived