New York Jets unveil new uniforms

14 hours ago, daveindc said:

Idk if we should compare football helmet logos with baseball cap logos. The Dodgers' LA cap logo is iconic, but that doesn't mean the Rams and Chargers both need "LA" on their helmets. 

Well, yeah. That's because the Rams literally invented the football helmet logo and therefore it could not be more iconic/it looks great so it doesn't make sense to replace it with anything.

The Chargers have had their helmet logo for only 11 years less than the Rams. 59 years! And it looks great - so don't change it. Although, in lieu of numbers, you could solve the space issues posed by the shape of the bolt by adding a lil LA in the space below...D1nz6f0WwAAB-Ti.jpg

The point is the Jets should put an "NY" logo good enough to be iconic if it is used for several years on their helmet because it would be the best looking helmet they've ever oh and if they stuck with it the most iconic.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, daveindc said:

Imagine the Eagles helmet with a P logo or the Skins helmet with a W logo. Philly and Washington, DC are "iconic", but those teams didn't choose letters.

Again, the Eagles with a P would be positively stupid because they have been using a transcendent helmet design for like 65 years. It’s the same argument.

I don’t think the Redskins’ current helmet design is even the best one in their own history, let alone iconic in the broader landscape. That would be the feather stripe or the spear, in my opinion. A W would be an improvement, especially locked up with a design element, but I’d probably go with a DC, so the next generation of kids doesn’t grow up thinking they’re from the state of Washington like my generation did. 🙂

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 minute ago, andrewharrington said:

Again, the Eagles with a P would be positively stupid because they have been using a transcendent helmet design for like 80 years. It’s the same argument.

I don’t think the Redskins’ current helmet design is even the best one in their own history, let alone iconic in the broader landscape. That would be the feather stripe or the spear, in my opinion. A W would be an improvement, especially locked up with a design element, but I’d probably go with a DC, so the next generation of kids doesn’t grow up thinking they’re from the state of Washington like my generation did. 🙂

Thank you for making some sense here (on the Eagles -- no Washington football helmet has been worth anything since 1957. A "DC" or "W" would be a wholesale improvement)

potd 10/20/12

6 hours ago, jn8 said:

I've seen a lot of "iconic city > team name" in this thread and, IMO, it's complete BS. They're not the "New York Football Team" or the "New York New Yorkers," they're the New York Jets. Yeah they play in represent New York, one of the most iconic cities in the world, but they have a nickname with the potential to have a really cool brand built around it. I'm not saying they should ignore the "New York" portion of their name, but a logo that actually has a decent jet image in it would be much better than the plain NY logo. Even the NY with some sort of jet silhouette calling back to the 80s logo wouldn't be that hard.

And can we stop comparing them to the Giants, Yankees, and Mets? Yeah, all those teams are New York too, and all three of them have iconic NY logos, but think about their mascots. All three are sort of abstract references to New York and hard to really represent with a logo. Jets, on the other hand? Not unique to New York and very easy to represent using an actual logo. 

At the same, time, though, how many good jet logos have you seen in sports? I don’t think it’s quite as easy as everyone makes it out to be. I mean, :censored:, we’re possibly on the cusp (no pun intended) of the Jets adopting a triangle as their de facto mark and calling it a jet.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

on the "iconic logo" debate: it actually reminds me a lot of a debate i have in another corner of the internet: disney world message boards. that's right ladies, one at a time!

there's always this debate over if a certain movie would make a good ride. people flipped when they announced avatar-based rides, because they didn't like the movie. others were quick to remind them that no one probably has a great affinity for "song of the south," a rarely-seen movie with less-than-desirable undertones. but everyone loves splash mountain, a ride that uses its IP for its story.

it's the same thing here. it's all about context and execution. the jets' 'NY' logo doesn't have the lineage of the yanks', mets', or giants' 'NY', but that doesn't mean it can't be, or it would be the wrong choice if the jets went in that direction. it's going to sink or swim based on the design, how it's executed, and how well it is generally received. 

sig2024.png

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Again, the Eagles with a P would be positively stupid because they have been using a transcendent helmet design for like 65 years. It’s the same argument.

2 hours ago, DeFrank said:

Thank you for making some sense here (on the Eagles -- no Washington football helmet has been worth anything since 1957. A "DC" or "W" would be a wholesale improvement)

Again- the point is what if all these teams had letters on their helmet instead of logos since the BEGINNING, not if they switched out their logos today. Letters on all these football helmets is still hard to imagine. The comparison with baseball cap letters and football helmet logos still doesn't make sense.

And if you really think a W would be an improvement over the current Skins logo, I don't think I'm going to even bother debating this any further.

8 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Again- the point is what if all these teams had letters on their helmet instead of logos since the BEGINNING, not if they switched out their logos today. Letters on all these football helmets is still hard to imagine. The comparison with baseball cap letters and football helmet logos still doesn't make sense.

Nobody is suggesting all teams would look better in all circumstances with letters on their helmet. Or even most. Or half.

The Jets would look better with the letters "NY" (and little else) on their helmet. That's the point.

It does make sense to compare the Giants helmet to the Jets helmet, and the Giants/Jets helmets to the Yankees/Mets cap. New York is the most famous city in the world. That probably has something to do with why the 3/4 of the football/baseball teams have "NY" and nothing else on their heads. 

23 minutes ago, Brian E said:

it's the same thing here. it's all about context and execution. the jets' 'NY' logo doesn't have the lineage of the yanks', mets', or giants' 'NY', but that doesn't mean it can't be, or it would be the wrong choice ** if the jets went in that direction. it's going to sink or swim based on the design, how it's executed, and how well it is generally received. 

And I'd add: **or could one day have the lineage of the others

potd 10/20/12

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

At the same, time, though, how many good jet logos have you seen in sports? I don’t think it’s quite as easy as everyone makes it out to be. I mean, :censored:, we’re possibly on the cusp (no pun intended) of the Jets adopting a triangle as their de facto mark and calling it a jet.

Exactly. The best jet logo in the “Big Four” has to be the current Winnipeg Jets logo. 

Everything else? The first Winnipeg Jets logo with a jet only included a silhouette of a passanger jet. The logo that replaced that just used a super basic geometric shape to represent a jet.

The NY football team had a similar history. The first Jets logo was a silhouette of a passenger jet. Then they went to the Namath logo. Then an italicized wordmark of the word JETS with a triangle to represent a jet. Then the updated Namath logo. 

Also? Both versions of the Namath logo use a NY so maybe a NY logo for the Jets isn’t so bad an idea ;) 

Anyhow. Most concepts that include an actual jet opt for a cartoon fighter jet. Which is fine, for a cartoon. Not so good for a logo.

Which is where the Winnipeg Jets logo works. It’s not a super detailed jet. It’s only got two colours. Two shades of grey actually. The silhouette is well designed though. It looks like a jet without all the extra aggressive detailing a lot of Jets concepts give their jet logos. 

Honestly? The best concept for a NY Jets helmet that uses an actual jet was taken by the Memphis Express in the AAF. 

So yeah. Use the NY logo. Maybe work in the triangle from the 80s/early 90s logo to get your “jet” representation in. And leave it at that. 

2 hours ago, Brian E said:

on the "iconic logo" debate: it actually reminds me a lot of a debate i have in another corner of the internet: disney world message boards. that's right ladies, one at a time!

there's always this debate over if a certain movie would make a good ride. people flipped when they announced avatar-based rides, because they didn't like the movie. others were quick to remind them that no one probably has a great affinity for "song of the south," a rarely-seen movie with less-than-desirable undertones. but everyone loves splash mountain, a ride that uses its IP for its story.

it's the same thing here. it's all about context and execution. the jets' 'NY' logo doesn't have the lineage of the yanks', mets', or giants' 'NY', but that doesn't mean it can't be, or it would be the wrong choice if the jets went in that direction. it's going to sink or swim based on the design, how it's executed, and how well it is generally received. 

Off topic: buttttt Avatar Flight of Passage was amazing. 

6 minutes ago, McGlinchey23 said:

I think the perfect Jets helmet would be the “JETS” inside the green airplane

***a green airplane.  The phallic balloon of a plan they used before was terrible and dated.

13 hours ago, Newport said:

If the Jets went with a military style logo it could work for the helmet but possibly not well for marketing. They'd basically be dressed up for November all year long. I could see a patch used as a secondary or third logo though.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

via connor hughes at the athletic:

"I wish I had a dollar for every time someone asked me about the Jets’ new jerseys. I never knew these things mattered that much? Well, I finally have something for you. From talking to a couple of people who have seen them, I can say this is a complete redesign, not a tweak. The colors are new. The logo is new. The design is new. The primary jersey is kelly green, with numbers that 'kinda look like Oregon’s.' There’s also a primarily-black alternate jersey. 'They’re sick,' one person told me"

okay, so a lot of what we already knew. the number thing i bolded, since that seems to be a new piece of info. i wouldn't put too much stock into him saying the primary home is kelly green, though. connor admittedly doesn't get the uniform thing, so i doubt he cares about different pantone shades.

sig2024.png

Archived