New York Jets unveil new uniforms

12 minutes ago, Newport said:

Yuck 

These pics can be "yuck", but the point is suggesting that a Kelly green and black scheme makes them look like they're copying another team makes no sense. A new set using this color scheme could look great on them, tie into their history, and still be a unique look in the NFL.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, daveindc said:

I'm thinking New York Jets.

Related imageRelated imageRelated image

I'll never understand why some people on this forum flip out about the usage of black in these uniforms. They never wore black jerseys. Never wore black pants. Never wore black socks. Yet the minor amount out black used with these in relation to the green and white has been vilified and tagged BFBS *sighs and shakes head*

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

I'll never understand why some people on this forum flip out about the usage of black in these uniforms. They never wore black jerseys. Never wore black pants. Never wore black socks. Yet the minor amount out black used with these in relation to the green and white has been vilified and tagged BFBS *sighs and shakes head*

Because they previously had zero black across their branding and then suddenly added it when it became a trendy color - that's the definition of BFBS. 

It's a board discussing uniform and logo details. If the Dodgers added a black outline to their wordmark and numbers and just a little bit of black piping to the pants, it would stick out. 

I don't really feel one way or another about those Jets uniforms...but that's why people flip out.

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

I'll never understand why some people on this forum flip out about the usage of black in these uniforms.

Like @shaydre1019 said, this is a forum for people to discuss sports unis and logos. So anything will have people who both like and dislike it 🤷‍♂️

12 hours ago, VC15AP18 said:

Quick Mock based on Kelly Green/Oregon numbers and Black in Scheme. Obviously very bare bones but just trying to match what Connor Hughes Indicated.

spacer.png

Those numbers look so...sawed off and unfinished. Also I think we've already established that the numbers were moved back to the top of the shoulders

On 3/16/2019 at 10:35 PM, ramsjetsthunder said:

Welcome to the site, and yes, I've been noticing that too. I've got a hunch that the NY may be on the helmets, though it may be too Giants-esque

They have NY on their helmets now and have for 35 years of their history or so. Albeit it was always a bit obscured and in the background. Also the skyline. Wonder if that is hinting at something?

3 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

Because they previously had zero black across their branding and then suddenly added it when it became a trendy color - that's the definition of BFBS. 

It's a board discussing uniform and logo details. If the Dodgers added a black outline to their wordmark and numbers and just a little bit of black piping to the pants, it would stick out. 

I don't really feel one way or another about those Jets uniforms...but that's why people flip out.

I think you’re right that this is the main reason people give, but the way I see it, the Jets added black well before it became trendy in uniforms, and they ditched it before it really jumped the shark and filtered down to the lower levels of the sport. It’s strange to think about, but the Jets were on the forefront. They set the pace for two of the most significant movements of contemporary uniform design: the “black soup” movement of the mid- to late 1990s and the “return to the classics” movement of the early to mid-2000s.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think you’re right that this is the main reason people give, but the way I see it, the Jets added black well before it became trendy in uniforms, and they ditched it before it really jumped the shark and filtered down to the lower levels of the sport. It’s strange to think about, but the Jets were on the forefront. They set the pace for two of the most significant movements of contemporary uniform design: the “black soup” movement of the mid- to late 1990s and the “return to the classics” movement of the early to mid-2000s.

Also the first NFL team to wear "throwbacks" in 1993

qqsnye7igxo8ec46p6i8.gif8w1hgru5dzdypj7inln83daen.giffh4wdzfefsmfcaxut0absohlk.giffie6s5apghfbj7vtla8v.gif

11 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

9 hours ago, insert name said:

The worst part about that set were the helmets. Black facemask and a green shell doesn't work

Couldn't agree more with these two thoughts. To me, this is absolutely the best the Jets have ever looked. It was a tasteful, balanced use of black to really separate the kelly green and white. I don't consider this "BFBS" because the black was NEVER forced to the front and center, and it actually made a huge difference. Imagine the same uniforms but without the black. It's a COMPLETELY different look. If the tiny use of black makes a huge difference but the black is never used prominently, then it's not "BFBS" to me. Just switch the black facemasks to white, and this could have lasted for decades.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

8 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Those numbers look so...sawed off and unfinished. Also I think we've already established that the numbers were moved back to the top of the shoulders

I based it off their Color Rush from this year, had similar stripes.

spacer.png

12 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

i agree. i was born in '84, so this is what the jets looked like in my childhood. i'm a huge opponent of BFBS, but for whatever reason, the jets in this look never bothered me.

as far as @VC15AP18's mock up, i could definitely get down with something like that. move the stripes to the sleeve and put TV numbers on the shoulders and i'd be good with it. 

sig2024.png

1 hour ago, VC15AP18 said:

I based it off their Color Rush from this year, had similar stripes.

spacer.png

This is all they need to do. Keep sleeve caps on the white jersey and make green shoulder stripe match the jersey.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Change the black to dark forest green and more traditional number font and we might have a classic for the next 20 years. 

1 hour ago, crosfam said:

Change the black to dark forest green and more traditional number font and we might have a classic for the next 20 years. 

I agree but it really seems like they are going to add black, i just hope its minimal. I don't like the Oregon style numbers either, ever since those Bucs jersey's i'm scared to see what Nike does.

3 hours ago, dgnmrwrw said:

Couldn't agree more with these two thoughts. To me, this is absolutely the best the Jets have ever looked. It was a tasteful, balanced use of black to really separate the kelly green and white. I don't consider this "BFBS" because the black was NEVER forced to the front and center, and it actually made a huge difference. Imagine the same uniforms but without the black. It's a COMPLETELY different look. If the tiny use of black makes a huge difference but the black is never used prominently, then it's not "BFBS" to me. Just switch the black facemasks to white, and this could have lasted for decades.

I should say, the mid-90s set for the Jets weren't bad. The helmets were still lame but for the most part, it wasn't bad. It reminds me of the Knicks set from the 2000s that used black in a similar way and those I thought were done really well. 

The downside is that those (like the 2000s Knicks) were used during some really REALLY bad embarrassing times for the Jets. I think they only had 1 good season in those sets. 

XM4KeeA.png

5 hours ago, dgnmrwrw said:

Imagine the same uniforms but without the black. It's a COMPLETELY different look.

You don't have to imagine it--it is what the Jets wore from '78-'89.  I think it looks better this way

running-back-freeman-mcneil-carries-the-

Archived