New York Jets unveil new uniforms

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My last kick at the can, as others pointed out, numbers look like they will be on the shoulder, I added the jet to the helmet and eliminated white on the black alternate, which in retrospect won't look as good with the helmet but that's it. I'm Done!

spacer.png

19 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Yep, and that might be the entire list (the Jags’ original numbers were a pretty good match for their wordmark at the time, too).

Broncos (sorta)?

Ravens (sorta)?

I was about to mention the Vikings...but then I remembered that they still use their old one. Tell you this, though...at least their NOB and numbers match. I do think it's time for them to drop the sailboat serifs, though--those have run their course.

12 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I'm not against custom number fonts. I just think that:

1. They become a lot less "special" when almost every team has its own; and...

Someone on here knows more specific details, but I believe the push for more team-specific numbers was originally intended as a measure agsinst counterfeiting...then ended up becoming a trend.

2. A lot of the custom number fonts NFL teams are currently wearing are not very good, and in many cases represent a clear downgrade from the more-generic ones they wore before.

That's not to say that there aren't good ones, even good ones that are "out there", because there are. (I love the Vikings' number font, for instance.) Just that it doesn't have to be team after team competing to see whose can be the most outrageous. I suppose that goes for recent uniform redesigns in general.

They're definitely not alone in this, but they were out front first on this, so...we can all thank Nike for (some of) this.

For about the past decade or so Nike has made a habit, especially (& now that I think about it, exclusively) with football, of churning out overdesigned custom numbers that match exactly nothing else in a team's identity. Recent examples include both the Tennessee Snatit Titans and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Other prominent examples include obviously Oregon, but also West Virginia, Syracuse (ugh!), and Arizona. THAT'S when the custom number craze goes off the rails. The killing thing is that they're also capable of producing handsome, classy, fonts as well that look unique at first glance, but also have staying power. Look no further than Wake Forest:

55490117a6698.image.jpg?resize=642,468

8476458.jpg

Still in the block style so many love, still carry Nike's signature "opposing squared-off corners" trope (see also Oregon State, Cal basketball, and especially Minnesota for other examples of this)--but they're handsomely crafted and don't SCREAM OUT for attention. As a matter of fact, they contain design cues one wouldn't even pick up on without a closely discerning eye:

"

The black and gold uniform features a new custom number font honoring the university’s founding in 1834. The numbers feature angled notches at 18 and 34 degrees, top and bottom respectively."

So the fact that they're capable of doing this so tastefully yet still churn out stuff like the Titans, Buccaneers, Syracuse, Arizona, West Virginia and the like just irks me, man. It's like "staying power" is beginning to mean less and less to these manufacturers these days.  (Then again that may also be but design, no pun intended, because merchandising and apparel sales $$.) And plenty of blame can go on the team brass as well for either not recognizing or not caring about the value of equity, eschewing that to chase a quick trend.

Anyway, that's my two rusted Lincoln's on the matter...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

What are the rules for helmet decals?

For example, in VC15AP18's layout above, could the Jets switch and use a black NY/Jets logo sticker to just match that black jersey, or can decals only be swapped for color rush jerseys?

This doesn't mean I want to see the Jets do this, but I'm expecting the worst.

8 minutes ago, schlim said:

For example, in VC15AP18's layout above, could the Jets switch and use a black NY/Jets logo sticker to just match that black jersey, or can decals only be swapped for color rush jerseys?

I don’t know if there is a rule exactly but I do know the NFL would need to approve it 

6 minutes ago, schlim said:

As long as they're consistent with it, I think a team can change decals as they please. I mean, the Rams right now wear yellow horns at home and white on the road, and several teams have been known to remove their decals altogether for throwback looks.

On 3/18/2019 at 11:42 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I miss giving teams custom numbers that weren't overdone. Buccaneers and Browns would look 100 times better with block numbers, no upshadows, or a custom font that look like they were taken off my wrist watch. 

Agreed. I'm certainly no fan of the Bucs' current uniforms, but I could live with them if they had normal looking block numbers. I know it's a tired joke at this point, but I don't understand how it got past the concept stage at Nike or Buccaneers management without someone pointing out that they look like an alarm clock.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

27 minutes ago, Matito said:

Agreed. I'm certainly no fan of the Bucs' current uniforms, but I could live with them if they had normal looking block numbers. I know it's a tired joke at this point, but I don't understand how it got past the concept stage at Nike or Buccaneers management without someone pointing out that they look like an alarm clock.

I think someone forgot to point out to management, "you do understand, these will be your numbers for the next 5 years". 

3 hours ago, Buc said:

Someone on here knows more specific details, but I believe the push for more team-specific numbers was originally intended as a measure agsinst counterfeiting...then ended up becoming a trend.

Makes sense. A custom set of numbers is a great branding tool... provided it’s a natural extension of your brand and it’s tastefully done. Custom numbers are not a problem; poor conception, poor design, and/or poor execution of said custom numbers is the problem.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

4 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

The throwbacks last season looked fantastic, but keeping the current font for the helmet numbers really dulled the look IMO 

They’ve always used Futura on the helmets:

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

31 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

They’ve always used Futura on the helmets:

spacer.png

While I'm sure that's always been the case, my 40+ year old brain is screaming that this is a sports logo/uniform example of the Mandela Effect...

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

On 3/18/2019 at 9:29 AM, Hat Boy said:

You don't have to imagine it--it is what the Jets wore from '78-'89.  I think it looks better this way

running-back-freeman-mcneil-carries-the-

I don't agree, I always felt the Jets unforms were greatly improved with the black trim that was added in the 90s

The Jets logo looked so much better when it was shaped like a football and had pointed tips while mounted on about a 45° angle . . 

They really butchered it by making it oval-shaped like a rugby ball, and switched the kelly green to forest green ..

KC downsized their logo in 1974 when switching to the white face-masks, should have left the logo that size.

spacer.png

8 hours ago, VC15AP18 said:

My last kick at the can, as others pointed out, numbers look like they will be on the shoulder, I added the jet to the helmet and eliminated white on the black alternate, which in retrospect won't look as good with the helmet but that's it. I'm Done!

spacer.png

Make the face mask on the the black option black as well or add some black trim to the helmet and these work pretty well.

Actually, add some black trim to all the helmets (perhaps more black for the black uniform) and I'd really dig these. 🏈💚🖤💚🏈

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

5 hours ago, Frylock said:

While I'm sure that's always been the case, my 40+ year old brain is screaming that this is a sports logo/uniform example of the Mandela Effect...

The Giants did their numbers the same way with block numbers for a time. You probably mixed them both together. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived