New York Jets unveil new uniforms

If they go for a bright and bold kelly green with a black and white trim, that's a pretty good colour combo. I get that it's BFBS and it's not really the Jets as we've known them, but it still might be a good design depending on the colour balance.

I'm not ready to lose my mind just because there's some black on these uniforms.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jn8 said:

Fair enough. Just to be clear, I have no issues with them using a commercial jet, I was just stating how I feel the name is more likely to be interpreted. Until a few months ago when it was pointed out in this thread, I still had no idea that they were named for passenger planes.

It isn't correct to interpolate our own personal biases on the population at large.

In other words, just because you thought something was a certain way, or didn't know that something was a certain way, doesn't mean that the population as a whole thought the same.

In this case, if you say 'jet', I think more in terms of private luxury plane, not Top Gun.  That's just me.

It's where I sit.

13 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Grumman had a huge impact in NY.

i was going to say the same. grumman, now northrop grumman since a mid-90s merger, was a one of the largest employers on long island for decades (my great grandfather worked there during WWII). it was a long island institution. for the uninitiated, long island is a hot bed for the jets fan base and the team used to train at hofstra university until the late aughts. so if they do a fighter jet-based design, they absolutely have some history that they can cobble together their "storytelling elements" from.

also, based on the 4/4 video on instagram, the countdown in the background sounds pretty military influenced...

sig2024.png

12 minutes ago, Brian E said:

i was going to say the same. grumman, now northrop grumman since a mid-90s merger, was a one of the largest employers on long island for decades (my great grandfather worked there during WWII). it was a long island institution. for the uninitiated, long island is a hot bed for the jets fan base and the team used to train at hofstra university until the late aughts. so if they do a fighter jet-based design, they absolutely have some history that they can cobble together their "storytelling elements" from.

also, based on the 4/4 video on instagram, the countdown in the background sounds pretty military influenced...

There’s your connection, then. I think most outsiders still associate it more with the commercial side, the golden age, the airports, etc., but it doesn’t sound like the main fan based the Jets would be against an identity centered around the aircraft they built on Long Island, despite the plant having closed 25 years ago.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

15 hours ago, jn8 said:

I guess that **technically** they were named after the commercial jets at JFK Airport in the 60s, but, at least in my opinion, it hasn’t meant that in a long time. How many people think of a passenger airplane when they hear the word jet? In 1960? Probably a lot. In 2019? Most people associate “jet” with a military plane. When talking about the type of aircraft that transports passengers, people just say plane or airplane now. I’ve never heard anyone say “I’m taking a jet to Florida.” That’s just not what it means anymore because of how the language evolved and commercial planes becoming more common than they were at the time. 

Maybe a little different, but the best comparison I can think of, the Detroit Pistons are named after the automotive industry in Detroit, representing all types of cars, but where do most people go when they think of the name “Pistons”? Usually, they go to muscle cars like a Ford Mustang, even though the name is broad enough to cover all cars manufactured in the city. People’s minds tend to jump to what they think is more “bad ass” when thinking of sports mascots. 

The word doesn’t have the same meaning as it once did. A commercial jet hasn’t been a common term in a long time. Moving to a more “military, fighter jet” look is just a better/more accurate, modern representation of the name

LaGuardia.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

*makes balancing motion with hands*

Should they be associated with one of the worst airports in the country or awesome fighter jets? Commercial flying is not the glamorous thing it was when the team was founded, and honestly, I’m not sure anyone under the age of 50 would choose to associate the brand with commercial planes (I don’t even refer to them as jets).

52 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

*makes balancing motion with hands*

Should they be associated with one of the worst airports in the country or awesome fighter jets? Commercial flying is not the glamorous thing it was when the team was founded, and honestly, I’m not sure anyone under the age of 50 would choose to associate the brand with commercial planes (I don’t even refer to them as jets).

WAR = AWESOME!

hell yeah. Death. Refugees. Weapons. Fire. Football. 

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

17 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

WAR = AWESOME!

The Winnipeg Jets don't have that problem, and they use the outline of an F-18 or F-16 as their logo. Their old 70s logo, however, was clearly a commercial jet:

spacer.pngspacer.png

3 minutes ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

It doesn't matter what type of jet New York is known for. Just like it doesn't matter there are no Lions or Jaguars in Detroit or Jacksonville. 

in fairness, tampa has a pretty rampant pirate problem. ever try to parasail on the gulf coast? can't do it without being boarded by swashbucklers. 

sig2024.png

2 hours ago, Scrumptious Ham said:

It doesn't matter what type of jet New York is known for. Just like it doesn't matter there are no Lions or Jaguars in Detroit or Jacksonville. 

The Lions and Jaguars names weren’t meant to have a direct link to something representing the home city. The name Jets was meant for that. Very different. 

2 hours ago, Bluefalcon said:

The Winnipeg Jets don't have that problem, and they use the outline of an F-18 or F-16 as their logo. Their old 70s logo, however, was clearly a commercial jet:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Different franchises. 

3 hours ago, DeFrank said:

WAR = AWESOME!

The growing trend of military cosplay in sports is grotesque. If anything, I feel like turning military imagery into the basis of a sports uniform is disrespectful to the military and treats our armed forces like fodder for costumes. It also reflects the over-militarization of our society, but that’s another argument for another day. 

8 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

The growing trend of military cosplay in sports is grotesque. If anything, I feel like turning military imagery into the basis of a sports uniform is disrespectful to the military and treats our armed forces like fodder for costumes. It also reflects the over-militarization of our society, but that’s another argument for another day. 

As someone with several members of my family in the military, I don't see it that way. They all believe it's honoring them and the military, which is why they usually purchase hats/shirts for those teams despite having absolutely no other connection.

11 minutes ago, AndrewMLind said:

As someone with several members of my family in the military, I don't see it that way. They all believe it's honoring them and the military, which is why they usually purchase hats/shirts for those teams despite having absolutely no other connection.

I'm not sure it's entirely representative, but I'll respect that point of view.

21 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

I don't see it as anything more than military jets look way cooler/tougher than commercial jets. No ulterior motive if they use that imagery.  

It's Capitalism. Whatever sells at the time. Right now fighter jets may sell more than the hated commercial airliner. Link to the city doesn't matter, unless it's needed to make the sell more attractive. With this case, it isn't needed here.

Archived