New York Jets unveil new uniforms

1 hour ago, Brian E said:

not much insight to glean, but hey! that hasn't stopped us before. acting owner christopher johnson on the team's new unis:

Bleached blonde helmets confirmed.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Volt said:

Bleached blonde helmets confirmed.

and sequinned robes,

on that quote though, i'm sure what we're all going to read into is that johnson wants to make the players happy with the re-design. that could really mean anything, but i'm sure some will jump to the conclusion that we're in for a more nike-ified look than most of us are hoping for. 

sig2024.png

12 minutes ago, burgundy said:

"pretty bad-ass"= lots of black

+ looks good on muscular/trim athletes and stupid on fat guys.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

42 minutes ago, burgundy said:

"pretty bad-ass"= lots of black

i'd assume so, yeah. one thing i'm preparing myself to see if green jersey/black pant combo as the primary home. just have a hunch that's going to be a look we see a lot.

sig2024.png

24 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

If they do go black/green, the only way I think I could see it being interesting is if they went full on jet fighter mode. 

2736B8A200000578-3022720-image-a-1_14279

I hope not. That'd change the meaning of the name from commercial to military jets.

2 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I hope not. That'd change the meaning of the name from commercial to military jets.

I guess that **technically** they were named after the commercial jets at JFK Airport in the 60s, but, at least in my opinion, it hasn’t meant that in a long time. How many people think of a passenger airplane when they hear the word jet? In 1960? Probably a lot. In 2019? Most people associate “jet” with a military plane. When talking about the type of aircraft that transports passengers, people just say plane or airplane now. I’ve never heard anyone say “I’m taking a jet to Florida.” That’s just not what it means anymore because of how the language evolved and commercial planes becoming more common than they were at the time. 

Maybe a little different, but the best comparison I can think of, the Detroit Pistons are named after the automotive industry in Detroit, representing all types of cars, but where do most people go when they think of the name “Pistons”? Usually, they go to muscle cars like a Ford Mustang, even though the name is broad enough to cover all cars manufactured in the city. People’s minds tend to jump to what they think is more “bad ass” when thinking of sports mascots. 

The word doesn’t have the same meaning as it once did. A commercial jet hasn’t been a common term in a long time. Moving to a more “military, fighter jet” look is just a better/more accurate, modern representation of the name

13 minutes ago, jn8 said:

I guess that **technically** they were named after the commercial jets at JFK Airport in the 60s, but, at least in my opinion, it hasn’t meant that in a long time. How many people think of a passenger airplane when they hear the word jet? In 1960? Probably a lot. In 2019? Most people associate “jet” with a military plane. When talking about the type of aircraft that transports passengers, people just say plane or airplane now. I’ve never heard anyone say “I’m taking a jet to Florida.” That’s just not what it means anymore because of how the language evolved and commercial planes becoming more common than they were at the time. 

Maybe a little different, but the best comparison I can think of, the Detroit Pistons are named after the automotive industry in Detroit, representing all types of cars, but where do most people go when they think of the name “Pistons”? Usually, they go to muscle cars like a Ford Mustang, even though the name is broad enough to cover all cars manufactured in the city. People’s minds tend to jump to what they think is more “bad ass” when thinking of sports mascots. 

The word doesn’t have the same meaning as it once did. A commercial jet hasn’t been a common term in a long time. Moving to a more “military, fighter jet” look is just a better/more accurate, modern representation of the name

Counterpoint: Is New York known in any capacity as a hub for military aviation? How about commercial aviation?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

13 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Counterpoint: Is New York known in any capacity as a hub for military aviation? How about commercial aviation?

Fair enough. Just to be clear, I have no issues with them using a commercial jet, I was just stating how I feel the name is more likely to be interpreted. Until a few months ago when it was pointed out in this thread, I still had no idea that they were named for passenger planes.

So we're going back to the American jingoistic fighter jet routine again? Ugh. Every concept posted in these 92 pages that has received mostly positive reviews have had a decidedly obvious lack of two things: black and fighter jets. 

I'm still expecting the worst. Too much unnecessary black, but I'm still not prepared for some Top Gun stuff.

Archived