New York Jets unveil new uniforms

41 minutes ago, Brian E said:

via connor hughes at the athletic:

"I wish I had a dollar for every time someone asked me about the Jets’ new jerseys. I never knew these things mattered that much? Well, I finally have something for you. From talking to a couple of people who have seen them, I can say this is a complete redesign, not a tweak. The colors are new. The logo is new. The design is new. The primary jersey is kelly green, with numbers that 'kinda look like Oregon’s.' There’s also a primarily-black alternate jersey. 'They’re sick,' one person told me"

okay, so a lot of what we already knew. the number thing i bolded, since that seems to be a new piece of info. i wouldn't put too much stock into him saying the primary home is kelly green, though. connor admittedly doesn't get the uniform thing, so i doubt he cares about different pantone shades.

Definitely a brighter green than they've been wearing, in any event.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I figured out why this Jets redesign bothers me.

Even if they do unveil relatively decent uniforms, they will still be a modern Nike creation with a "back story" and "meaning" that likely wasn't designed to last and is reminiscent of other teams. Meanwhile, the Jets completely owned their previous look, which was one tweak away (fixing the shoulder stripes) from being something that could've lasted forever. It was related to the look of Namath, the revival under Parcells and the first uniform for Sam Darnold.

The whole thing strikes me as an unnecessary signing away of their identity to the Swoosh overlords.

13 minutes ago, BJ Sands said:

I figured out why this Jets redesign bothers me.

Even if they do unveil relatively decent uniforms, they will still be a modern Nike creation with a "back story" and "meaning" that likely wasn't designed to last and is reminiscent of other teams. Meanwhile, the Jets completely owned their previous look, which was one tweak away (fixing the shoulder stripes) from being something that could've lasted forever. It was related to the look of Namath, the revival under Parcells and the first uniform for Sam Darnold.

The whole thing strikes me as an unnecessary signing away of their identity to the Swoosh overlords.

Or, you know, the Jets requesting new “hip with the kids” uniforms, and working with Nike throughout the design process to make sure they get what they want.

I don’t see this with any other manufacturer. So, why is every single thing Nike does seen as them forcing their designs on helpless teams, but if any other maker is involved it’s correctly seen as the two working together?

ExJworW.png

So obviously not size since we already discussed NFL guidelines regarding those.

spacer.png

So are we talking...

squared off number font?

inclusion of lime?

A division running between it?

some sort of reflection/iridescence?

And now did these people legit see the jersey or did they see this and think it was the real deal? Because there is a striking similarity.

spacer.png

And now for a good question. Have we ever discovered the source of the above fake? 

Conspiracy Theory: did Nike mock up a fake with various elements to see a general consensus?

12 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

So obviously not size since we already discussed NFL guidelines regarding those.

spacer.png

So are we talking...

squared off number font?

inclusion of lime?

And now did these people legit see the jersey or did they see this and think it was the real deal? Because there is a striking similarity.

spacer.png

And now for a good question. Have we ever discovered the source of the above fake? 

Conspiracy Theory: did Nike mock up a fake with various elements to see a general consensus?

I said this on the Jets Sub but I think this was a mock-up done by someone who saw the jerseys and this is their attempt at recreating it. I think this may be in style/outline what we will end up with but with additional tweaks. IMO the black arm stripes make it almost look unfinished. Even putting a white border around them would make it pop much more.

The size guidelines are usually minimums. Rarely are maximums specified.

Also, the minimums are not what the “unwritten standard” is. Remember the Packers wore a throwback with front numbers that were only 6 or 8 inches tall a few years ago, and there have been several throwbacks with no TV numbers, so it would follow that those are more suggestion than rule.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Black on green looks horrible. Black outlining white on green is unnecessary. Black outlined with white on green is not a good look.

Thanks Jets, for all the years of mediocrity and embarrassment you've put on the field, at least your uniforms will match.

1 hour ago, AgentColon2 said:

spacer.png

So are we talking...

squared off number font?

inclusion of lime?

spacer.png

Pretty sure it’s Jesse Alkire (one of our own).

1 hour ago, insert name said:

>looks like Oregon numbers

spacer.png

Since he doesn’t seem to really pay attention, I’m willing to bet that he means the ones from the Mariota era, since that was the last time that a lot of people were paying attention to Oregon.

1 hour ago, AgentColon2 said:

spacer.png

So are we talking...

squared off number font?

inclusion of lime?

spacer.png

I've loved that jersey from the beginning (minus the NYJ graphic that is more like NHT). 

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

The size guidelines are usually minimums. Rarely are maximums specified.

Also, the minimums are not what the “unwritten standard” is. Remember the Packers wore a throwback with front numbers that were only 6 or 8 inches tall a few years ago, and there have been several throwbacks with no TV numbers, so it would follow that those are more suggestion than rule.

I figured tv numbers were mandatory thus Nike trying to subdue the appearance of them in the Seahawks redesign by coloring them single colors matching the 'wings'. 

Also i feel like when anyone say "like oregon" it's rarely ever like oregon. It's usually multiple colors or not a block font. Outside of multiple colors and finishes, Oregon's uniforms have been relatively simple since the diamond plate uniforms. 

2 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

spacer.png

So are we talking...

squared off number font?

inclusion of lime?

spacer.png

I don't think Nike mocked up a fake. The identity of the creator of the "leak" is known, and he isn't a Nike employee.

Here are some possibilities:

1. The Jets are in fact going to Blue Jays-style numbers, and Jesse just coincidentally made a concept that was similar in that regard. This is hardly out of the realm of possible coincidences; the Jets themselves used lettering of that style in their script prior to the adoption of the 1978-97 logo.

2. The Oregon similarities with the numbers are in size, not style, with the new uniforms having oversized numbers.

3. The numbers are similar to those Oregon wore in the Marcus Mariota days - square and angular. Not sure how well that would jibe with the triangular theme they've been hinting at.

4. The source to whom Hughes spoke incorrectly believes that Jesse's design is what the team is going to be wearing.

The more recent Oregon numbers are similarly geometric to those Mariota wore, so 1 and 3 could be concurrently true.

4 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

spacer.png

I still actually like this jersey alot, tow things to change: 1. Get rid of the funky NYJ monogram/logo on the front.  2. Change the black sleeve striping on the jersey to white and I'd say it's a winner.

For the conspiracy theory, I think that could be true sometimes but not all the time. Because my thought goes with other apparel providers (adidas, UA, etc.) do they leak out their own prototypes and then see what the reactions are and follow accordingly, or are they like "eh, what do they know?" and still go with their plan. 

I personally love conspiracies about unilluminati being behind all the concepts. Someone pushed a similar theory hard a few years back. One of the famous banned accounts, but I don't remember which. Accused a bunch of us of being Nike spies. Good times.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

No. The timeline of uni design does not line up with that being viable. 

Archived