MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

From what I've seen, sales for this crap have been pretty good.  Of course that's all that matters to MLB.

Where have you seen that? Only thing I’ve seen is universal mockery and disdain...

Chris says in a tweet that the referral sales from this site have never been higher.  

But that’s a pretty small sample size.  I’d be curious to know what they actually were in numerical terms.  If he sells an average of one cap a week on referral from an ad, and then sells three black caps this week, that’s THREE TIMES THE USUAL! but still only three black caps. 

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

Chris says in a tweet that the referral sales from this site have never been higher.  

But that’s a pretty small sample size.  I’d be curious to know what they actually were in numerical terms.  If he sells an average of one cap a week on referral from an ad, and then sells three black caps this week, that’s THREE TIMES THE USUAL! but still only three black caps. 

And is that actual sales or click thru. Because i can see click thru being up to view the train wreck. 

Sales dont mean jack squat about how people feel about things. I was watching games this weekend at multiple bars and the horrendous uniforms were the topic of much discussion among everyday folk. Watching Yankees-Dodgers in those things, you cant ignore how bad it is. Its a mockery

22 minutes ago, McGlinchey23 said:

Sales dont mean jack squat about how people feel about things. I was watching games this weekend at multiple bars and the horrendous uniforms were the topic of much discussion among everyday folk. Watching Yankees-Dodgers in those things, you cant ignore how bad it is. Its a mockery

Nope. But the league dont give 2 about people's opinion as long as money is coming in.

On 8/23/2019 at 3:34 PM, Gothamite said:

#IMissBudSelig.  #NoSeriously.

New Era was pushing for years to put their logo on the side of caps.  As soon as Bud isn't there to stop them, we get New Era logos on the sides of caps.

Bud took a lot of :censored:, some of it justified, but he also deserves some credit.

I have a lot more appreciation now for last generations sports commissioners. 

As commissioner, you are supposed to do whats best for the players, the fans, and the game itself. Making money was always part of it, but todays commissioners seem to be more hellbent on making every dollar they can without giving a rats behind how the game suffers for it. I dont really like any of these 4 guys we got now. 

22 minutes ago, McGlinchey23 said:

I have a lot more appreciation now for last generations sports commissioners. 

As commissioner, you are supposed to do whats best for the players, the fans, and the game itself. Making money was always part of it, but todays commissioners seem to be more hellbent on making every dollar they can without giving a rats behind how the game suffers for it. I dont really like any of these 4 guys we got now. 

Uebberoth was the first commissioner that really schooled the owners on how to maximize their return.  Bart came along and he was more of a “best interest in baseball guy” as was Fay being as that Bart and Fay were tight. 

Looking at lids, I don't see a single size out of stock. Now maybe they put up a ton for sale

But usually there's one or two sizes gone by now. So I really don't seeing the sales of these players weekend Caps going so well. Jerseys are another story. 

All white and all black caps have been around for a Decade plus. I think those that wanted one already owns one. 

On 8/24/2019 at 6:59 AM, THRILLHO said:

This sort of thing needs to be mentioned more.  Imagine if some guy strikes out 22 batters tomorrow.  For the rest of eternity the highlight of the moment will be in these abominations.  Also for a league that prizes the aesthetic to the point where they had Boston and New York both wearing home uniforms in London one would think they wouldn’t allow this.  

You only get one chance to make a first impression.  Imagine if you were an overseas fan of some MLB team and as fate would have it your first and maybe only chance to see your team was this ..  What a letdown. The window dressing of sports matters.  I think we all agree and it’s why we post here.  

Case in point:  Two years ago the Reds' Scooter Gennett became the first player in five years and the 17th player in major league history to hit four home runs in a single game. It will forever be immortalized as...

5fe60506a75d5c420d978f2e7c8ec73f.jpg

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Another failure of this is the players were supposed to wear "colorful accessories" like cleats or sleeves to offset the B&W colors.  Is it just me, or only a few players did this?

It's definitely not just you. I said to myself..."where are the accessories?". There wasn't ANYTHING special about players weekend. What a horrible idea. I'm glad my Braves have such beautiful uniforms that we'll return to.

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Another failure of this is the players were supposed to wear "colorful accessories" like cleats or sleeves to offset the B&W colors.  Is it just me, or only a few players did this?

Very few went bright color. I guess they didn't study or gauge what their players actually use and wear. A good amount had their own team color accessories. More went with custom cleats. But overall, nothing too crazy. It's not like college basketball or the NBA where the floodgates have opened for 'expression'. Most MLB players just want to play ball and look respectable doing it. 

I want to say 80% went with straight white cleats (even those on the black uniform team wore white) or black cleats. It was relatively colorless. 

I noticed the cards pitchers went regular cap yesterday 

spacer.png

A solid under shirt, a solid cap, and maybe a wordmark that is outlined in all red, and you have a decent set. They could've went white vs black and opened it up a touch and no one would have even cared. But these were some soul-less sets. 

Some players and even some teams tried to use colorful accessories, namely their regular caps and got a "stern talking to" from old Rob Manfred.  Some teams even tried to use colorful accessories, namely their regular uniforms (Dodgers and Yankees) and were told to bugger off by old Rob "Cash Grab" Manfred.  Aesthetically this weekend was a disaster plain and simple.

1 hour ago, MattMill said:

Most MLB players just want to play ball and look respectable doing it. 

Most definitely. They also don't want to color in their jerseys with magic markers like they're in elementary school art class, as some have suggested as an alternative to this year's abomination.

38 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Most definitely. They also don't want to color in their jerseys with magic markers like they're in elementary school art class, as some have suggested as an alternative to this year's abomination.

Respectable to me is living within the realm of team colors. That was me who mentioned sharpie or dye pens. If they went that route ( with team color choices only ), that sure as heck beats out an invisible jersey. I was trying to come up with something to save this disgrace. You're painting a turd basically. 

And I only brought up pens and markers because I know MLB is cheap. Would they really approve 3-4 jersey top color combos for players to choose? In my mind, keep the uniforms white. But have some liberty with the word mark. Maybe some want the typical solid dodgers to be blue. Maybe some want it to be white with a blue or red outline. Each player could color in their wordmark, or the MLB could give each team a solid set of options. They already did something they had never done before with pitchers wearing black caps, what's a different color wordmark. 

Another example. Keep the white crap but let each player choose what team cap they want to wear. It could be a mother's day, or the camo, or their road cap. I'm thinking smaller with caps they wear within their yearly catalog. But with it 150 yrs of baseball, imagine players being allowed to wear older styles. 

You already couldn't make out what the teams were, so what difference would it make if 7-8 players all had different hats on. 

I saw a lot of players going with all white or all black accessories because they were obviously trying to match the jerseys and caps. The concept of monochromatic uniforms highlighting colorful accessories never really came to fruition. It's like if the players didn't get the memo on that and just chose what looked best within the uniforms they got. 

Jorge Alfaro visited a children's hospital on Friday morning and took his white arm sleeve and cleats and had the kids color all over them. Gaudy as they might be from a design aspect that definitely brought the youth and color aspect together but even then you could barely notice them during the games. 

Archived