Kevin W.

College Football 2020

Recommended Posts

I know huge numbers are a trend, but Charlotte, on top of the pale gold, have numbers that are obnoxiously colossal... double digits take up the whole back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here I am watching UT-San Antonio vs Texas State. Both team wear Adidas. Their jersey numbers look tiny compared to Charlotte's.

 

BTW. UTSA in all white vs TX State in gold/maroon/gold. Not a fan of all white, but it's a good looking game. In double overtime right too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So looks like the equipment guy at Coastal Carolina did not get the memo, ya know about the new conference logo. Ouch, looks outta place now after seeing a few other SBC games today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coastal/Kansas is a perfect example of what I've been bitching about.  KU has the SAME FONT from the helmet to the front wordmark to the numbers.  Coastal has one font for the wordmark and a whole different font for the numbers.  I can understand not using the exact same font, but at least make it a serif font!!! Makes no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Coastal/Kansas is a perfect example of what I've been bitching about.  KU has the SAME FONT from the helmet to the front wordmark to the numbers.  Coastal has one font for the wordmark and a whole different font for the numbers.  I can understand not using the exact same font, but at least make it a serif font!!! Makes no sense.

That’s the difference between Power 5 and the G5. You’d think teams with simple custom serifs could get something close but nope. The only Kent State uniforms that use a school specific number font was a one off jersey for basketball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's always been something I've liked about Florida State's helmets on the first game of the season. Nice and clean without any tomahawk pride stickers added yet. Not saying I dislike the tomahawks, but FSU's helmets always stood out to me in week 1.

 

With that said, I never liked the look of a blank week 1 Ohio State helmet 🤷🏾‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lilben777 said:

So looks like the equipment guy at Coastal Carolina did not get the memo, ya know about the new conference logo. Ouch, looks outta place now after seeing a few other SBC games today.

Could be that they haven't arrived yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noted ESPN was using an alternate version of the Jayhawk for their box score yesterday. I like it and the simplified color palette, as I've never been a fan of all 3 primary colors together. That said, it looks unfinished and gets a bit lost when its over a white background. 

 

FZHM0da.png

 

 

This is from their branding page. 

gCLh0VY.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2020 at 3:34 PM, SSmith48 said:

I know huge numbers are a trend, but Charlotte, on top of the pale gold, have numbers that are obnoxiously colossal... double digits take up the whole back!

I wonder if making them smaller would've intensified the perceived legibility problem? I also didn't recall hearing anyone complain about Charlotte's CUSA-mate UAB's similar numbering against Miami.

spacer.png

 

 I like Charlotte's new uniforms, outside of the way the helmet stripe tapers on the back. I also think the C-Pickaxe logo would look better if it was outlined thinly in a contrasting color. Interested to see the home jerseys and any other pants/helmets in the new set, as well as if they use the new tertiary logo.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tron1013 said:

I wonder if making them smaller would've intensified the perceived legibility problem? I also didn't recall hearing anyone complain about Charlotte's CUSA-mate UAB's similar numbering against Miami.

spacer.png

 

 I like Charlotte's new uniforms, outside of the way the helmet stripe tapers on the back. I also think the C-Pickaxe logo would look better if it was outlined thinly in a contrasting color. Interested to see the home jerseys and any other pants/helmets in the new set, as well as if they use the new tertiary logo.

 

spacer.png

I can see where you're coming from, but even still I think they need to be downsized. They look very amateur with their size. Or they should switch to green, which would vastly improve the look.

 

I also think that the shade that UAB/Under Armour uses is a bit darker than what Charlotte/Nike uses (not sure though, can someone confirm?). My old high school team wore new Nike uniforms for my last year, and the shade of gold is much more of a dark off-white than a gold color. If it's worth anything, I would prefer UAB in green numbers as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that they are throwbacks but miami really needs to settle on either the white pants stripe or the helmet stripe. I say put the pants stripe on the helmet.

 

spacer.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, guest23 said:

I know that they are throwbacks but miami really needs to settle on either the white pants stripe or the helmet stripe. I say put the pants stripe on the helmet.

 

spacer.png

I'd argue the other way. Miami is an orange team first and foremost, so orange should be the dominant color in the stripe. Also, generally dark-light-dark looks better than light-dark-light when on a white background (although there are certainly exceptions to that - see the Browns).

 

The mismatching stripes don't look too awful on the home, but the away - with the pant stripes on the sleeves - looks quite bad. Those would also benefit from the swapping the stripes to be green-orange-green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I'd argue the other way. Miami is an orange team first and foremost, so orange should be the dominant color in the stripe. Also, generally dark-light-dark looks better than light-dark-light when on a white background (although there are certainly exceptions to that - see the Browns).

 

The mismatching stripes don't look too awful on the home, but the away - with the pant stripes on the sleeves - looks quite bad. Those would also benefit from the swapping the stripes to be green-orange-green.


I agree, though my preference would be to use orange-white-green-white-orange or white-green-orange-green-white stripes on all helmets, jerseys and pants, akin to what Florida does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2020 at 2:34 PM, SSmith48 said:

I know huge numbers are a trend, but Charlotte, on top of the pale gold, have numbers that are obnoxiously colossal... double digits take up the whole back!

 

7 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

I can see where you're coming from, but even still I think they need to be downsized. They look very amateur with their size. Or they should switch to green, which would vastly improve the look.

 

I also think that the shade that UAB/Under Armour uses is a bit darker than what Charlotte/Nike uses (not sure though, can someone confirm?). My old high school team wore new Nike uniforms for my last year, and the shade of gold is much more of a dark off-white than a gold color. If it's worth anything, I would prefer UAB in green numbers as well.

 

5f5d4d2051dac.image.jpg?resize=1200,1473

 

5f5d4d707ae0a.image.jpg?resize=1159,1787

 

5f5d4d953e97c.image.jpg?resize=1200,1047

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2020 at 6:34 PM, 4_tattoos said:

Here I am watching UT-San Antonio vs Texas State. Both team wear Adidas. Their jersey numbers look tiny compared to Charlotte's.

 

BTW. UTSA in all white vs TX State in gold/maroon/gold. Not a fan of all white, but it's a good looking game. In double overtime right too.

 

Texas State especially looked fantastic. The all-maroon look they used against SMU showed promise and that promise was fulfilled this weekend. Too bad they lost after tying the game with an amazing punt return only to miss the PAT and lose in OT. They were at least the better looking team, and that's what really matters on this part of the internet.

 

G7pakKG.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

 

Texas State especially looked fantastic. The all-maroon look they used against SMU showed promise and that promise was fulfilled this weekend. Too bad they lost after tying the game with an amazing punt return only to miss the PAT and lose in OT. They were at least the better looking team, and that's what really matters on this part of the internet.

 

G7pakKG.jpg

Their all maroon had promise but was ruined by the helmet. 

txst.jpg 

That much white looked awful with a jersey that's only maroon and gold. The gold helmet not only matches far better, but also just looks better in general IMO. They've got a solid look, just need to pick the right combos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Magic Dynasty said:

Their all maroon had promise but was ruined by the helmet. 

txst.jpg 

That much white looked awful with a jersey that's only maroon and gold. The gold helmet not only matches far better, but also just looks better in general IMO. They've got a solid look, just need to pick the right combos.

Yeah I think the maroon helmet would work better with the jersey if their wore white pants that game to help balance the white

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Air Force Falcons To Honor Tuskegee Airmen With Alternate Uniforms

September 15, 2020 - 16:30 PM

Air Force athletic director Nathan Pine announced in a letter sent to fans this week the Falcons football program will wear alternate uniforms that honor the Tuskegee Airmen during their Oct. 3 home game against Navy. “The Tuskegee Airmen were a group of African-American pilots from the U.S. Army Air

Read More...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 6:43 AM, Magic Dynasty said:

Their all maroon had promise but was ruined by the helmet. 

 

That much white looked awful with a jersey that's only maroon and gold. The gold helmet not only matches far better, but also just looks better in general IMO. They've got a solid look, just need to pick the right combos.

 

Yeah, white facemask and white stripes really screwed up the all-maroon from being as good as it could have been. Change the maroon helmet to have a maroon, gold, or even gray mask, then alter the striping to remove the white in one way or another (three gold, two gold, single gold, no stripes at all, it all would work) and you got something. Granted that gold pants would work better with that combo, but also the set they wore vs. UTSA would work even better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.