College Football 2020

Kevin W.

10 hours ago, OHK said:

New / tweaked home and away uniforms for South Carolina? Did I miss an announcement?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Are the numbers slightly stretched vertically on purpose? I was going to tear into UA but maybe they’ll look normal stretched over pads.

I am pretty impressed with how UA has handled South Carolina over the years, but I am glad to see a full-time classic look 😍

edit: I’m realizing the jerseys ARE stretched over pads (duh). We’ll see what they look like on field lol

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

2 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Just because a team wears a certain stripe in one part of a uniform does not mean it has to exist everywhere else. Now, if a team combines classic stripes with modernized piping or inserts, sure, that looks odd. But a striped helmet with plain jerseys and pants or a plain helmet with striped jerseys is totally justified. 

Well, yeah, that can, but that just won't look as good as they could.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Just because a team wears a certain stripe in one part of a uniform does not mean it has to exist everywhere else. Now, if a team combines classic stripes with modernized piping or inserts, sure, that looks odd. But a striped helmet with plain jerseys and pants or a plain helmet with striped jerseys is totally justified. 

It depends on the type of stripe though. A single helmet stripe like Penn State looks fine with blank pants, but Marshall has five stripes on their helmet. Having something that busy with nothing else on the uniform makes the design very unbalanced.

• Like 1

spacer.png

On 9/6/2020 at 11:15 AM, OHK said:

New / tweaked home and away uniforms for South Carolina? Did I miss an announcement?

spacer.pngspacer.png

https://twitter.com/GamecockSplash/status/1302397668770144259

The numbers are apparently larger, but on the away jersey, the shoulder stripes match our throwback black alternate. Not sure if our home jersey has the same new striping, although I'm generally a fan of applying this throwback template to all of our uniforms, only removing the "jersey" numbers:

spacer.png

I both love and am terrified by these uniforms. They're the uniform I think of when I think Arkansas football, and by that, I mean the uniform I think of when I remember McFadden and Felix Jones running setting SEC single game rushing records against us.

The shoulder stripes on the white jersey don't match the the throwback jersey. The throwback is white-black-garnet-black-white, the new away is black-white-garnet-white-black, an unfortunate reminder of the Brad Scott era.spacer.png.

The only situation where the striping will be consistent on all elements is when the Gamecocks wear the new white jersey, last year's throwback white pants, and the existing black helmet. They could've updated the late 90's black jersey for consistency with the existing black helmet and the new white jerseys and pants, but of course they didn't.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The new garnet jersey has white-garnet-black-garnet-white striping, which does not match the garnet helmet, and even worse the new white jerseys and last year's white pants do not match the white helmets. It is a mismatched mess and a huge missed opportunity. This would be have been so easy to pull off (not my original concept or template, just a quick and dirty attempt to show how the matching striping could've worked SO much better):

spacer.png

OR

spacer.png

On 9/1/2020 at 9:50 PM, henburg said:

That's a neat story and a nice subtle patch. That striping on his uniform could be adapted to today for a potentially cool alternate.

RE: ISU's new patch https://news.sportslogos.net/2020/09/01/iowa-state-cyclones-to-wear-jack-trice-uniform-patch/college/

Couldn't agree more. I love the subtlety and design-adds to the uniform without text or unnecessary logo repetition in a lot of anniversary patches for example. It gets a little cluttered with the nike logo, the Big12 logo, and collar logo, but all in all I love it. The fact that the Jack Trice story isn't more  widely known is a shame (as is that Jack Trice Stadium is the only D1 stadium named after an african-american). 

They DID try to create a Jack Trice style throw back in 2013. Not really a fan. Might be cooler if they implemented them into shoulder stripes instead of just trying to throw back. (EDIT: I realize now that they mention these in that article).

tricethrowback2.0.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TGroce said:

Duke going blue helmet, black "D" with a white stripe? Seems ill-advised...

if the D is black, they MUST be taking this game very seriously. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

4 minutes ago, mbannon92 said:

Notre Dame with lotsa patches this year. “Rally” seems to be the team mantra for the season, but I’m not sure what it’s doing on the jersey...

spacer.png

How many heads are going to explode when they see that ACC patch.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Temple's season doesn't start until 10/10 but doesn't find it odd they still haven't released new uniforms, in practice they're still wearing UA practice jerseys but with nike cleats and gloves. In promo materials the UA is just photoshopped out of last years uniform.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I mean, they could also go with a decal that calls for the dismantling of the nuclear family.  

• Like 1

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN