Patriots Unveil New Uniforms

Wentz2Jeffery

I could buy the 1970s/1980s Patriots being one of those teams where, if you have to list all the teams by memory, they're the last one you get. There's no Boston in the name, so you skip over them, and they were really bad.

The Bengals used to be that for me. I remember very clearly when I was getting back into football in 2001, I was in an AOL chat room, and I asked the room: the Cincinnati Bengals, are they still around? is that whole thing still an ongoing concern? You don't hear too much about them anymore, did I miss something?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

They'll do a tweak here and there but flying Elvis is here to stay.

I mean, was there any danger they were doing a logo change? Uniform tweaks, sure, but I've never heard any serious talk of changing the logo. It's held up well. I think it's a good logo no matter what team is using it.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Gonna need you to cite some sources on that.

https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

2nd most valuable team and second highest revenue and operating income in the NFL. People are buying more of their stuff than anyone except the Cowboys. Seems pretty popular to me.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Six Super Bowl wins took the Patriots from a team I bet a lot of people were barely even aware of to one of the most popular teams in the league ... flying Elvis is here to stay.

Exactly.

Uniforms/identities could be dated, ugly or ridiculous af, but winning makes for a damn good disguise.

If not for Lombardi:

The Steelers helmet would now sport logos on both sides.

The Cowboys would be using one shade of blue and one shade of silver.

The 1-day 49ers motif would've stuck.

Because of Lombardi:

Flying Elvis is forever.

Cyber Bronco is forever.

Disheveled Raven is forever.

Also:

Weren't the Eagles planing to go back to kelly green before they fluke-won SB52?

6uXNWAo.png

4 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

You could also ask for citation on this "a lot of people were barely even aware of".
They're a freaking NFL team. That statement is laughable.

They were the Arizona cardinals but didn’t even have being the oldest team ever to fall back on.

4 hours ago, Weapon X said:

It's always been bring it as an alternate for them and fluke?

They had a bunch of previously unheard of dudes lead by a backup quarterback, and wore dog masks because they embraced being the underdog. I think fluke would apply.

spacer.png

7 hours ago, MDGP said:

https://www.forbes.com/nfl-valuations/list/#tab:overall

2nd most valuable team and second highest revenue and operating income in the NFL. People are buying more of their stuff than anyone except the Cowboys. Seems pretty popular to me.

Are you equating 'revenue' to popularity?  I'm not sure that works, unless your statement is based on local popularity.  I have nothing against the Patriots, but they don't seem to be one of those teams that inspires a bandwagon following around the country.  Anecdotally, just from reading these forums and a few other sites, I'd say that because of things like spygate and deflategate, as well as people just being tired of their greatness, they're very unpopular outside of their home market.

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

Also:

Weren't the Eagles planing to go back to kelly green before they fluke-won SB52?

No.  The desire has only been for a throwback.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

44 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Are you equating 'revenue' to popularity?  I'm not sure that works, unless your statement is based on local popularity.  I have nothing against the Patriots, but they don't seem to be one of those teams that inspires a bandwagon following around the country.  Anecdotally, just from reading these forums and a few other sites, I'd say that because of things like spygate and deflategate, as well as people just being tired of their greatness, they're very unpopular outside of their home market.

While I think the Patriots of recent vintage have approached this but not equaled it, it is possible to be both popular and notorious -- See the Oakland/LA Raiders from 1970 thru about 1985 (or maybe I should just say the John Madden/Tom Flores Raiders). [Yeah, I just made myself feel old]

BTW - I like notorious instead of unpopular to describe the Pats; the Bengals or the Lions are unpopular outside of their cities (and maybe in them, too), but the Pats are known and disliked.

And I know I'm arguing about definitions, which are subjective, too.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I have nothing against the Patriots, but they don't seem to be one of those teams that inspires a bandwagon following around the country. 

They have a great road fanbase, thanks to Brady and Belichick. Not quite the Steelers or Cowboys, but it's pretty substantial. Patriots games on SNF and MNF get higher ratings than nearly every other team. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/06/24/nfl-fan-rankings-best-cowboys-patriots-rams/1550146001/

Patriots were third-highest in this study:

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/article/2016/whos-americas-nfl-team-nielsens-media-exposure-rankings-detail-the-top-franchise/

Patriots had two of the five highest rated NFL games in 2019:

https://deadline.com/2020/01/nfl-regular-season-ratings-rise-5-lifting-viewership-to-three-year-high-1202819775/

Tom Brady was leading NFL jersey sales through October 2019, and was a top-5 jersey seller for 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. 

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2019/10/29/top-selling-nfl-jerseys-tom-brady

People like winners. They like perfectionists. They like good coaching. They like stability (it's easy to be a fan of a team if the coach and star player(s) are a part of the team for decades). They've shown that all the "cheating" scandals were meaningless. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I mean, revenue is a good way to examine popularity, at least partially. There's no one single stat that shows it alone, but revenue means people are buying their stuff, and not just locally. New England as a whole is smaller than New York State, it just doesn't have that big a population, and a considerable amount of the western half has New York fandom. It's highly unlikely that locals are just buying more gear than other fanbases.

They're gonna receive massive amount of hate online because they're hyper successful. It's the Yankees effect, they're by far the most hated team in baseball, but also the most popular. Being successful breeds contempt.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Ex-Pac heat, for the wrestling side of this board.

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

They have a great road fanbase, thanks to Brady and Belichick. Not quite the Steelers or Cowboys, but it's pretty substantial. Patriots games on SNF and MNF get higher ratings than nearly every other team. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/06/24/nfl-fan-rankings-best-cowboys-patriots-rams/1550146001/

Patriots were third-highest in this study:

https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/article/2016/whos-americas-nfl-team-nielsens-media-exposure-rankings-detail-the-top-franchise/

Patriots had two of the five highest rated NFL games in 2019:

https://deadline.com/2020/01/nfl-regular-season-ratings-rise-5-lifting-viewership-to-three-year-high-1202819775/

Tom Brady was leading NFL jersey sales through October 2019, and was a top-5 jersey seller for 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. 

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2019/10/29/top-selling-nfl-jerseys-tom-brady

People like winners. They like perfectionists. They like good coaching. They've shown that all the "cheating" scandals were meaningless. 

People also like rooting against the winner, FWIW.  Plenty of people tuning in nationally with Pats hatred flowing through their veins, haha. Everyone likes to see the mighty fall. 

11 minutes ago, kutztown said:

People also like rooting against the winner, FWIW.  Plenty of people tuning in nationally with Pats hatred flowing through their veins, haha. Everyone likes to see the mighty fall. 

Very true.

Similarly, people also hated the Bulls with a passion in the 90s because of all the winning. Every fanbase wanted to beat the Bulls and see Jordan cry. But to think they were unpopular would be a huge error. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

Very true.

Similarly, people also hated the Bulls with a passion in the 90s because of all the winning. Every fanbase wanted to beat the Bulls and see Jordan cry. But to think they were unpopular would be a huge error. 

I'd say it's less popularity and more of a combination of being famous and infamous at the same time depending on what side you're on.  Polarizing things where you can choose left/right, democrat/republican, good/evil, right/wrong usually capture people's attention.  Semantics, I know

JESUS CHRIST WHAT ARE WE DOING SOMEONE GIVE US A JERSEY LEAK OR SOMETHING 🤣

On 3/29/2020 at 7:24 AM, DNAsports said:

I’ve always been of the opinion that of the red-blue teams, the Texans should be the ones to go red-heavy.

That's fair, but somebody needs to own the red-first space.  The NFL just has way too many blue teams.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

2 hours ago, pianoknight said:

That's fair, but somebody needs to own the red-first space.  The NFL just has way too many blue teams.

I agree with that 💯 I just personally don't think it should be the Patriots even if they did rock it for 3 decades + Bills are ideal, Giants are blue and so that leaves the new guys.

Houston, looking at you.

#DTWD #GoJaguars

On 3/26/2020 at 10:10 PM, Brass said:

No matter what type of uniform change we see from the Patriots, this beauty will forever be my white whale of sports merchandise.

s-l400.jpg

Sort of like a Baltimore Cardinals t-shirt . . . except I have one of those in my closet.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 3/30/2020 at 8:10 AM, BringBackTheVet said:

I wouldn't say ONLY a throwback.. I've seen my fair share of concepts that modernize the Eagles and use kelly green.. in fact, I'm somewhat in that group.. I don't dislike their current uniform design, but I think it would look fantastic if the midnight green was exchanged for kelly.. 

On 3/26/2020 at 8:10 PM, Brass said:

No matter what type of uniform change we see from the Patriots, this beauty will forever be my white whale of sports merchandise.

s-l400.jpg

I always wondered that if they moved to Hartford would Boston of gotten another team? 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Archived