Raptors Getting New Uniforms, Tweaking Logo in 2021

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

I actually think this is an improvement over their outgoing uniforms (which were always a clunky mess), but the 1999-2006 set is still their best look by a country mile. I still think not bringing purple back is a mistake on their part.

Yes. That red on black hurts my eyes.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

12 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Yes. That red on black hurts my eyes.

It doesn't bother my eyes at all, but I do think it isn't ideal for another reason. Every other red and black team in the league has already done the same thing of emphasizing black more than white on their red uniforms. By following all those other teams' lead, the Raptors have kind of reduced the visual impact of what should be a bold, fresh design.

Of course, there was an easy way for them to avoid this: bring back purple.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm sure that there's a possible solution, if the Raptors ABSOLUTELY FEEL LIKE THEY HAVE TO go with the chevron across the chest, that would make this work nicely. This ain't it, though.

This is also what happens when one gets entirely too married to a certain design element and decides to shove all their cookies into that basket.  

I think the Raptors have definitely become the San Diego Padr--well, okay, the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NBA: they can't decide what they want to look like. 

(As if it matters anyway nowadays, since Nike done convinced the NBA that every team needs a baker's dozen different uniforms each week...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Emphasizing black over white was a mistake. The NORTH unis they won the championship in were the perfect starting point to a unique identity in the league. They could have owned being the red and white team had they just replaced NORTH with RAPTORS. Instead they're butchering the design to go with black as an alternate. Which just screams of following Houston. Which was, itself, a disaster of an unveiling.

I still like the chevron and the arched wordmark, but yeah. The decision to go heavy on black was a mistake.

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

the 1999-2006 set is still their best look by a country mile. I still think not bringing purple back is a mistake on their part.

Wrong on two counts.

I like it.  A lot.  A single distinctive element, without any unnecessary trim or gewgaws.  Beautiful. 

My only concern is whether the red-on-black lettering is distinct enough to be read at distance, with only that thin white outline between them.  White letters outlined in red would have been my preference. 

35 minutes ago, henburg said:

toronto-raptors-new-jersey-2021-leak-202

I still love the chevron, but the coloring and lack of trim is a big miss. I think the numbers or wordmark should have been white, the current mix of red and black feels weirdly unbalanced.

the more I look at this, the more I actually wish it could work. I wonder if they lessened the angle of the chevron it wouldn't look so harsh (for lack of better phrasing). 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

Though I agree broadly that the original alternate version of these with "Raptors" and minimal black would have been a vast improvement -- I think I've pinned another reason why the chevron thing doesn't work for me. They've been pushing the chevrons for so long, and now so front-and-center, that it clashes with the roundel look we can expect from the wordmark based on the logo.

Like in the below picture -- aside from the fact that black/red/metallic gold would have been a cooler and more distinctive color scheme, the radial arch "Raptors" is just a nicer fit, even as it approaches a full 180 here. It makes the whole Raptors look more cohesive.

kawhi-leonard-raptors-practice.png

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

6 hours ago, IceCap said:

Instead they're butchering the design to go with black as an alternate.

It's the NBA in 2021 - the Sixers could come out with a lime-green alt and nobody would bat an eyelash.  They could have had a black alt without relying on black at all for their primary sets.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived