Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

12 minutes ago, the admiral said:

In that case, Redshirts would work (compare with "Blueshirts" as secondary New York Rangers nickname), except the temptation to call them the Redsharts would be overwhelming. But since we have established that the burgundy and gold is the most important part of the identity, then you would just be naming them for the jersey they've worn all these years.

Maroons could work as well. It kind of infringes on Cardinals, but they've adopted the bird as their identity more than the color. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maroons are what people called slaves who escaped to live among the Indians, I'm sure someone somewhere would object to that. But someone is going to object to everything.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If Snyder was really petty, he can do what Cleveland did and call the team... the Washington Snyders. But in all honesty, I say to get as far away from the redskins name as possible, no names that have the word "red" should be suggested. No red tails, no red wolves, no red hawks, etc.

There is an interesting, team specific question at work here that isn’t normally a requirement to consider: how do you get as many people as possible to stop using the old name, if you have determined the old name is a racist slur that must not be named? 

Through that lens, the generic Washington FC seems like an obvious no, and besides the NFL is too risk-averse to be the sports league to wreck American naming conventions like that. Beyond that I have no idea: does a different Indigenous-tribute name help or hurt that mission? How about a different Red-X name? Or something fully unrelated?

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I think it's obvious that they need to give the team a name that absolutely guarantees success. With that in mind, the Washington Patriots is by far the best choice.

That may be why the name is currently tied up in trademark litigation, too.

28 minutes ago, JustForFun said:

I think it's obvious that they need to give the team a name that absolutely guarantees success. With that in mind, the Washington Patriots is by far the best choice.

That may be why the name is currently tied up in trademark litigation, too.

I’m cool with this as it will trigger the most annoying fan base in the NFL. After all the war may have started up north but it was won in the mid-Atlantic.

Also I’m scared that they could end up as the Washington RedGolds or something awful if the league panics. Thanks for putting that option out in the universe, CFL.

I like Washington Maroons but since the official color is Burgundy that may be a bit too erroneous.

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

1 hour ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

I don't oppose Warriors for it's genericness as much as that there's already a warriors in major pro sports

I mean, there's multiple Rangers and Panthers, too. Doesn't seem to stop them from sharing team names.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

There is an interesting, team specific question at work here that isn’t normally a requirement to consider: how do you get as many people as possible to stop using the old name, if you have determined the old name is a racist slur that must not be named? 

Through that lens, the generic Washington FC seems like an obvious no, and besides the NFL is too risk-averse to be the sports league to wreck American naming conventions like that. Beyond that I have no idea: does a different Indigenous-tribute name help or hurt that mission? How about a different Red-X name? Or something fully unrelated?

A different Red-X name plays onto the hands of those who don't want change. Since that sounds like Snyder, it's what I expect to happen.

I agree that no name accomplishes the same thing. I can't see an indigenous name passing muster, so that's out.

It's where I sit.

Yeah, but the Warriors who have been the Warriors all along just came off a five-year run of dominating the NBA, changing the way the entire game is played, and pretty much taking over the world. That would be like if the Redskins gave up the name in '66 and changed to the Yankees. 

1 hour ago, Digby said:

how do you get as many people as possible to stop using the old name, if you have determined the old name is a racist slur that must not be named?

Eliminate the colors, the fight song, and the slogan/hashtag, and declare a new franchise, none of which they're doing, because they've been dragged into this kicking and screaming by middle managers of corporations and want people to know that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I submitted an entry for the design contest, and after going back and forth on a few different names, I ultimately went with the Washington Wolves. It was a lot harder than I anticipated to choose a name (with no real consequence). Can't imagine having to pick a name with so much riding on the decision. Outside of a few that have been discussed at length, here were a few other names I considered using at one point or another --

Admirals - Reference to the leaders of the US Navy in the area. Joseph J. Clark was the first Native American Admiral in the US Navy, so perhaps there could be a respectful way to transition to the name with that connection. Milwaukee's Admirals have one of my favorite logos, and there could be some interesting branding possibilities. 

Argonauts - Toronto pretty much owns this name after nearly 150 years, but I liked the Greek mythology angle. The name could tie in both the Naval and Greek influences on the city. 

Astronauts - Reference to JFK's speech, "We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." 

Mammoths - Reference to the Smithsonian's Wooly Mammoths. Maybe too similar to Giants. 

Sharks - I don't necessarily think of sharks when I think DC, but I'd read there are 8 species of sharks in Chesapeake Bay, with Bull Sharks swimming up the Potomac River. 

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

somehow missed this news. Good decision by the team to rebrand though I feel this is more than a little overdue.

As for what to call the team from here on, i'd want alliteration but warriors is teeny bit generic. How about ''Washington Wyverns''?

Fly Eagles Fly, on the road to victory...

Philadelphia Eagles: NFL Champions in 1948, 1949, 1960, Super Bowl Champions in 2017-18. Philadelphia Phillies: World Series Champions in 1980 and 2008. Philadelphia 76ers: NBA Champions in 1966-67 and 1982-83. Philadelphia Flyers: Stanley Cup Champions in 1973-74, 1974-75

3 hours ago, j'villejags said:

Sharks - I don't necessarily think of sharks when I think DC, but I'd read there are 8 species of sharks in Chesapeake Bay, with Bull Sharks swimming up the Potomac River. 

Oh, I can think of plenty other sharks in good 'ol DC ...

us-congress-shutterstock.jpg?itok=-eC1HU

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

5 hours ago, j'villejags said:

Argonauts - Toronto pretty much owns this name after nearly 150 years, but I liked the Greek mythology angle. The name could tie in both the Naval and Greek influences on the city. 

After the way the NFL treated the former Baltimore Stallions about the Colts name, I’d think the CFL would return the favor about the Argos.

As for R******s gear, I’ve purchased a cap just because.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

Archived