Washington NFL Franchise Retires Name and Logo

raz

8 hours ago, j'villejags said:

Mammoths - Reference to the Smithsonian's Wooly Mammoths. Maybe too similar to Giants. 

I actually really like this suggestion. However, I would change one thing (technically two I suppose). Use the Wooly Mammoth in the logo, but the name could be Guardians or Defenders. That would at least stretch out the Giants similarities.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know they'd never do this but part of me would just like them to be Washington F.C. (or AFC?) . Keep everything but the name and logo, create a temporary crest, let time go by and maybe nicknames will start to evolve organically like they do in international soccer. Then they can reassess.

20 hours ago, pianoknight said:

They're gonna come up with a stupid and generic identity. I fully expect something like Warriors or Wildcats. The kind of mascot that 8,000 colleges and high schools already have. 

On the bright side, Redskins used to be a stupid and generic identity that 8,000 colleges and high schools already had. Indians, Redskins, and Redmen were once as ubiquitous as Wildcats, Panthers, or Cougars. 

15 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

I know they'd never do this but part of me would just like them to be Washington F.C. (or AFC?) . Keep everything but the name and logo, create a temporary crest, let time go by and maybe nicknames will start to evolve organically like they do in international soccer. Then they can reassess.

I wonder what nickname might organically result....

5 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

After the way the NFL treated the former Baltimore Stallions about the Colts name, I’d think the CFL would return the favor about the Argos.

Difference, of course, is that the NFL objected to them using "Colts" in the same city.  It wasn't just "Colts" they objected to, but "Baltimore Colts".

The NFL is the only American pro league that doesn't have any interest in Canada, so it's the only American pro league that could pick that trademark fight.  Not that I want them to.

Some political-type names:

Federals - DC is the seat of the Federal Government. Also Federals was a nickname for Union troops, many of whom were quartered in DC during the war.

Constitutions - Doubles as the US Constitution, which determines our shape of governance and the USS Constitution, "Old Ironsides." 

Nats - Short for "Nationals" and National Football League, but also Nat Turner, famed slave insurrection leader.

7 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Some political-type names:

Nats - Short for "Nationals" and National Football League, but also Nat Turner, famed slave insurrection leader.

Hmm I think I’ve heard that somewhere before...

12 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

This may not really be surprising news, but I was listening to Adam Schefter on Saturday and he said that he heard "through the grapevine" that Warriors and Redwolves were the front runners.

The grapevine is almost certainly this forum and twitter.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

3 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

The Washington AFC playing in the NFC? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

The team has hired a new executive vice-president and chief marketing officer to "lead the charge on the name and logo change alongside team owner Dan Snyder": https://www.thescore.com/news/1988002

Article mentions that "replacements are expected to be decided before the 2020 season begins," but to me this indicates a longer process.

12 minutes ago, officeglenn said:

The team has hired a new executive vice-president and chief marketing officer to "lead the charge on the name and logo change alongside team owner Dan Snyder": https://www.thescore.com/news/1988002

Article mentions that "replacements are expected to be decided before the 2020 season begins," but to me this indicates a longer process.

Agreed - they've just built in their 'out' for not having a name (and thus encouraging the use of the old one).

It's where I sit.

Archived