NFL Changes 2021

simtek34

36 minutes ago, Froob said:

Texans is alright. I think they should switch to color rush top full time and add red pants. That way, they’d actually match the logo.

I completely disagree. The color rush uniforms are far inferior to their regular tops. Mainly because the numbers being red does nothing but make them more illegible.

• Like 7

The Texans are kind of a weird case to me. Their uniforms aren't bad by any means from a technical perspective, and their logo is one of the best in all of sports (that is an objective fact and as such is beyond contestation 😀)...but at the same time, nothing about their look really "stands out" as distinctive, and so for even as solid a look as they have, lined up with the other 31 teams they're also pretty forgettable in that if you're not looking right at them, you'll probably forget they even exist (unless you're a Texans fan).  It may have to do with their color scheme, overused and predictable as it is and was when they first picked it. At this point, though, I don't know what, or if, they do with it.

I do know this, though: they absolutely, positively, unequivocally and without any further delay, NEED to get those red socks back up under those navy pants, like, STAT. 

Given what they got now, though? I suppose they could pull a Broncos and Titans (at one point) and promote their red jerseys to primary status...red over navy with red socks at home, white over navy with red socks for the away? If nothing else, at least that potential home combo would be a unique way to present red and navy...I don't know. 

(While I'm on this... have the Texans ever at any point in their history worn white over white on the road?)

• Like 7

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 minute ago, tBBP said:

The Texans are kind of a weird case to me. Their uniforms aren't bad by any means from a technical perspective, and their logo is one of the best in all of sports (that is an objective fact and as such is beyond contestation 😀)...but at the same time, nothing about their look really "stands out" as distinctive, and so for even as solid a look as they have, lined up with the other 31 teams they're also pretty forgettable in that if you're not looking right at them, you'll probably forget they even exist (unless you're a Texans fan).  It may have to do with their color scheme, overused and predictable as it is and was when they first picked it. At this point, though, I don't know what, or if, they do with it.

I do know this, though: they absolutely, positively, unequivocally and without any further delay, NEED to get those red socks back up under those navy pants, like, STAT. 

Given what they got now, though? I suppose they could pull a Broncos and Titans (at one point) and promote their red jerseys to primary status...red over navy with red socks at home, white over navy with red socks for the away? If nothing else, at least that potential home combo would be a unique way to present red and navy...I don't know. 

Spot on about the Texans. They're certainly an oddity -- a fine, consistent uniform that pretty much stirs no excitement at all. Clean, yet forgettable. 

This is far from an original take, and I'm sure it's been uttered here before, but I'm intrigued by the idea of Houston re-embracing the powder blue/red/white look. The Titans have abandoned it in favor of navy/powder/gray -- the red doesn't even rise to the level of tertiary color. It's there for the taking. Bring back 'Luv ya Blue.

• Like 2

The Texans are a weird case for me. There's nothing objectively wrong with their basic uniform (other than the moronic use of navy socks with the navy pants, and a truly ugly color rush set) and I was actually a somewhat big fan of their look when they first started, but somewhere along the line they lost me. They really are just a visual empty void. Just the very definition of a paint by numbers NFL uniform.

I've been thinking they may be a team that could try out a silver/red/silver scheme. It's odd that that particular color combination is so iconic for the Ohio State University, but it really is almost ignored on every other football level.

• Like 7

I’m keen on keeping the Texans set bland, so that when the Adams clan sells the Titans, the fans can get what so many of them want.

spacer.png

At the very least, the Texans can switch to white helmets and replace navy with powder. They should do everything in their power to be the Oilers in all but name. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Denver's uniforms were designed by Nike, and Baltimore's were designed by Starter.

How do you know Starter designed them?  Many teams used either in-house or 3rd-party designers and just fed the designs to the manufacturers back then.  Not saying Starter didn't design them, but it's possible that all they did was make someone else's design.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 1/16/2021 at 11:14 AM, HailGoldPants said:

The point he was trying to make is that he believes the fan base would be more willing to accept WFT/No name versus a new team name that’ll always be compared to the old name. If they can’t have “(Washington Football Team)”, WFT/No name would be an easier pill to swallow. At least that is what I got from it.

As pointed out by @infrared41 the ones who are happiest with WFT are the ones that can still swap out Football Team for the old name that they didn't want changed. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I don’t know if anyone would agree with me, but one problem I’ve always had with the Texans set is how dark and bland the red they use seems to be:

CBdtPkJ.jpg
Even if they changed nothing else and just brightened up the red a bit, that would make for a massive improvement.

I also like the red numbers of the Color Rush more than the primaries, they match the coloring of the logo nicely. I also like these navy pants better than the regular ones.

Aj2Ayed.jpg

Lastly, I think a red helmet and/or primary jersey could look nice and would definitely set them apart from the other navy teams in the league.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, BBTV said:

How do you know Starter designed them?  Many teams used either in-house or 3rd-party designers and just fed the designs to the manufacturers back then.  Not saying Starter didn't design them, but it's possible that all they did was make someone else's design.

Regardless, they aren’t Reebok designs. Neither are the panthers, or Broncos from the initial list provided that was factually incorrect.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, MJD7 said:

I don’t know if anyone would agree with me, but one problem I’ve always had with the Texans set is how dark and bland the red they use seems to be:

CBdtPkJ.jpg
Even if they changed nothing else and just brightened up the red a bit, that would make for a massive improvement.

I also like the red numbers of the Color Rush more than the primaries, they match the coloring of the logo nicely. I also like these navy pants better than the regular ones.

Aj2Ayed.jpg

Lastly, I think a red helmet and/or primary jersey could look nice and would definitely set them apart from the other navy teams in the league.

Completely disagree about any uniform having colored numbers on a colored uniform. You run into the same illegibility issues the browns had with the last set having the orange numbers on the brown jersey and essentially having to kick that jersey alternate status being a white at home team because no one could real the numbers.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Denver's uniforms were designed by Nike, and Baltimore's were designed by Starter.

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

That.

Those original Ravens uniforms were actually manufactured--but not designed--by Russell Athletic. Those uniforms, along with those of the Jaguars, Panthers, Buccaneers and Eagles of that era, IIRC were done collaboratively between the league and (I believe) SME Branding. I know SME created the Jaguars' brand identity; Kurt Osaki created the Ravens' and Buccaneers' logo sets and also had a hand in those specific teams' uniforms, to what degree I'm not sure, though.

Off to the side...but I miss the days when teams were free to choose their own design crews and uniform suppliers. I'm almost certain the Texans' current identity and Falcons' now-former brand identity were the last to be designed by an independent agency--Mark Verlander, to be specific (who also created the Bengals "B" mark, the refreshed Arizona Cardinals and Seahawks logos, and all of those teams' wordmarks). I doubt we'll ever see a return to those days, but a brotha can wish...haha.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

Those original Ravens uniforms were actually manufactured--but not designed--by Russell Athletic.

That is true for the Ravens' inaugural 1996 uniforms, but Starter took over in 1997 when the organization decided to make lots of major adaptations — not necessarily an overhaul, but comparatively speaking, the uniforms from those respective years appear vastly different. Baltimore's present-day look from the neck down (obviously not applicable in regards to the helmet logo change) are actually based on the overall 1997 version essentially, just with some minor modifications along the way over the years since then.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

As pointed out by @infrared41 the ones who are happiest with WFT are the ones that can still swap out Football Team for the old name that they didn't want changed. 

As I've said many times on (cheap plug alert) Basically a Sports Show*, I firmly believe that Dan Snyder will stick with WFT for just that reason. Some of the fans will be happy because they can still use the old name (and :censored: them) while others will be happy simply because they won't have to deal with a forced and most likely stupid replacement name. It's going to take a good long while to flush the old Washington name from the collective conscience of the fan base. Even fans who probably knew it was wrong still freely used the old name. Staying with WFT is the easiest and least "they'll always be the foreskins to me" way out for Dan Snyder. That or move the franchise to a different city and do a complete makeover.

*Available on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and wherever fine podcasting is sold.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

3 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

These photos you posted are from their home openers

I totally missed the road part of that comment. My bad lol.

The answer is still yes. They wore white over white at least at New England in the 2012 Divisional Round.

2012 Playoffs Divisional Round | New england patriots, Nfl, Houston texans

They also wore all-white as a Color Rush matchup with New England in 2016.

Sept. 22: Patriots 27, Texans 0

There's a game at Indianapolis in 2009.

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning (18) scrambles between  Houston Texans defenders Connor Barwin (98) and Bernard

As far as I can tell, these are the only three times. One playoff game, one color rush, and one regular game. Houston lost all three. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

After seeing the pics, I think all white just might be the Texans best look.

Just make the red jersey the home primary, go white/white on the road, and if you must have navy, keep the Color Rush around for 1 game.

Navy/Red/white: 6 home games

Navy/white/white: home opener and 7 road games

Navy/Navy/Navy (color rush): 1 home game

Navy/white/navy(CR pants): 1 road game

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Just make the red jersey the home primary, go white/white on the road, and if you must have navy, keep the Color Rush around for 1 game.

Navy/Red/white: 6 home games

Navy/white/white: home opener and 7 road games

Navy/Navy/Navy (color rush): 1 home game

Navy/white/navy(CR pants): 1 road game

I actually really like this idea. Although I’d make some small changes. I’d swap the color rush for their current home uniform (navy over white) since I don’t think a team needs a color rush uniform anymore. (I could be wrong on that but New England only had two uniforms from what I saw) Also the one game in white over navy is pretty pointless. I’d either drop navy pants completely or wear it once or twice more. Maybe even match it up with the now new red home uniform, which they’ve looked good doing before.

I’m shocked at the criticism towards Houston uniforms as well. Their brand is great and they have a classic uniform. Maybe even top ten in the league. 

• Like 3

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php