International (NATIONAL TEAMS) Soccer/Football Kits 2021/2022 (World Cup, etc)

andregunts

Only three Nike kits have the weird different colored neck triangle thing and the US is the only one with it on their home kit. Seems like most countries realized how bad of a look it is and refused to have it, especially on their home kits, but not the US. Adidas still won the round of World Cup kits but Nike didn't do all that bad, aside from the US disaster.

And poor Canada has to keep their Nike catalog kits, that's a bummer. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

And poor Canada has to keep their Nike catalog kits, that's a bummer. 

This is really mindblowing. You'd think they at least could've got some new option from the 2022 teamwear catalog. Totally a missed opportunity, especially compounded with the documented difficulty of Canada MNT fans getting any sort of team gear during this cycle... Nike and Canada both losing a lot of dollars.

• Like 2

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Canada as the only team at the World Cup without a custom kit is really embarrassing for Nike. And honestly hard to understand.

Nike recently made custom kits for the Canadian women (and they are really nice), but the men get stuck in the most basic template stuff on the biggest stage?

Why can't they just make these for the men?

spacer.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Canada as the only team at the World Cup without a custom kit is really embarrassing for Nike. And honestly hard to understand.

Nike recently made custom kits for the Canadian women (and they are really nice), but the men get stuck in the most basic template stuff on the biggest stage?

Why can't they just make these for the men?

spacer.png

Totally dismal from Nike and Soccer Canada. I was ready to shell out cash for one for me and my son, something I would typically not do but Canada in the world cup is something I never thought I would actually see. 

The women's kit looks amazing. Why would they not do this for the men too? First time in a long time that I feel personally bummed out by jersey news.

9 hours ago, Digby said:

First photo I’ve seen of the actual printing on the USA kit. Legitimately looks like a sketchy bootleg job by the print shop down the street. Just so many confounding decisions with this whole set.

6-F9343-D4-017-A-4364-BB52-B27-D5-A37387 

What really bad about it, especially for the WNT is that the Gold FIFA badge that they have is awkwardly put on the other side of the crest, so it isn't entirely uniform now. They really should have moved the crest to one side and had the swoosh on the other.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, BltzW said:

What really bad about it, especially for the WNT is that the Gold FIFA badge that they have is awkwardly put on the other side of the crest, so it isn't entirely uniform now. They really should have moved the crest to one side and had the swoosh on the other.

For reference:

Nike should have used the same design, but tweaked it for the women. For example, before Germany won the World Cup, their away kit looked liked this:

spacer.png

After winning, they needed a place to put the winners patch. They couldn’t use the middle due to the henley collar which would force the patch too low. What did they do? They rethought the design which came out looking much more balanced (compared to Nike’s solution). Nike should have done the same for the women.

spacer.png

• Like 4

On 9/15/2022 at 11:05 AM, Digby said:

This is really mindblowing. You'd think they at least could've got some new option from the 2022 teamwear catalog. Totally a missed opportunity, especially compounded with the documented difficulty of Canada MNT fans getting any sort of team gear during this cycle... Nike and Canada both losing a lot of dollars.

One part of me sees the difficulty, especially with the recent trends of the supply chain and the short turnaround. However, I still think it's unfair for a country that is making their first World Cup in 36 years. You could still go for a catalogue template, but dress it up with a special graphic, like many European club and national teams do, or just do some new templates other than the "fingerprint". Sure, it isn't a "premium" thing, but at least it feels special. And I guarantee you that a delay in a commercial release wouldn't be a problem for the fans, they would still gobble it up. The fact that they didn't get anything new is just an absolute embarrassment on the part of Nike, "production cycles" be damned.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

There were some known issues with Canada unable to keep up with demand as the men's team improved even before Supply Chain Issues entered the regular discourse. I don't expect Nike to flip a switch and start treating Canada like one of their most elite contracts, but we're now at two years of renewed success of and interest in the men's team; if they cannot pivot whatsoever, I question the value of the Nike contract.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

15 hours ago, Digby said:

There were some known issues with Canada unable to keep up with demand as the men's team improved even before Supply Chain Issues entered the regular discourse. I don't expect Nike to flip a switch and start treating Canada like one of their most elite contracts, but we're now at two years of renewed success of and interest in the men's team; if they cannot pivot whatsoever, I question the value of the Nike contract.

Australia was in a similar boat with the ladies jersey supplies last cycle. Football Australia didn't think women would buy as many kits as the men, so they didn't order as many away kits as they did home kits in women's sizes. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 9/17/2022 at 1:27 PM, Digby said:

I agree. I'm sure there are a lot of plausible excuses for this, but a company of Nike's stature, even when considering the scale of what it does, could have found a creative workaround to address the situation. They've worked so hard to tie innovation to their brand, yet fall short when it really counts. 

For example, it seems completely plausible that they start this process by making assumptions about which teams will make it and which ones won't, and that Canada's inclusion caught them by surprise. Supply chain constraints could also be an issue. But organizations like this tend to live behind the weight of their own bureaucracy rather than using moments like this to get creative and act like a startup to solve a problem. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think they even wore this at the Euros this year, but with white numbers and names. 

No, they had a monochrome red third kit at Euro 2020, but it's not the same design. It had tonal diagonal stripes on one side, and tonal vertical stripes on the other.

Denmark-Christian-Eriksen-scaled-e162273

By contrast, this was the home kit for Euro 2020:

4f602bc26b91e155de623433855f81bcdb33e9cd

• Like 1