College Football 2021 - Logos & Uniforms

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, henburg said:

Here's a bit of a clearer look at Mizzou-

Unclear if they have striping on the pants as well, but it looks good regardless. It's a much more coordinated, cohesive set now.

Glad to see there are stripes on the pants! This is a nice looking uniform set now! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, nuordr said:

UNC should a problem with that logo: 

spacer.png

During that era of mascot illustrations there were quite a few schools that had nearly identical mascots save for a different hat or a letter on a sweater. This may fall into the different enough category.

5 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

New gold looks way better for UCLA than the Dijon colored ones from the UA era. I  wish they'd change the facemask color though. The only time same facemask and shell color works is for black, navy, silver, and white helmets IMO. 

I disagree. The gold masks on gold helmets has been a good look for UCLA and Akron.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

I feel the same way about UCLA's gold facemask as I did about USC's cardinal facemask from 1988-2000.  Is it a bad look? No. Do I prefer gray (or gray/gold in USC's sake)? Absolutely.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a light blue facemask for a game or two just for the sake of trying it out. Have a feeling it would really pop, though.

11 hours ago, nuordr said:

Glad to see there are stripes on the pants! This is a nice looking uniform set now! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I liked Mizzou’s modern look, but a team going to a traditional striped look won’t ever get much complaining from me. Still, if they’re going that traditional route, a block font would’ve been way better. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

Here are some additional looks at Mizzou. These are a step in the right direction but don’t work for me.

First off, I believe they are a catalog order and not a custom Nike design. You can tell because these have that extra seam on the shoulders that the top tier Nike teams don’t have on the Vapor Untouchable. Also, the catalog gear always seems to have a smaller and thinner swoosh. Lastly, that NOB font isn’t seen on Nike teams.

They’ve attempted to recycle their white alternate pants from the last year or two. The problem is it essentially gives them the Auburn look on the road, with northwestern stripes on the helmet and jersey and regular thick stripes on the pants. It works for Auburn because they’ve done it for countless decades. Making that mistake as a design choice in 2021 is not the move.

The gold pants are okay but also don’t really follow a traditional northwestern stripe style. To match everything else, I would expect thin white lines flanking a thick black stripe. That would be fairly cohesive and jive well. The solution they’ve chosen doesn’t seem to match.

I’m not sold on the number style paired with the traditional striping. Either you’re a classic team with a classic number font or you’re not, and they’ve attempted to blend their wild styles of the last 15 years with a traditional stripe pattern. They tend to clash.

A happy marriage between styles could have been an updated version of this. Use a similar stripe on the pants and allow the jersey to be minimalistic while still a touch modern. The new style is decidedly catalog.

spacer.png

6 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

A happy marriage between styles could have been an updated version of this. Use a similar stripe on the pants and allow the jersey to be minimalistic while still a touch modern. The new style is decidedly catalog.

spacer.png

I think the new look works. It's a a standard look but it's clean and not too bland. Keeping the number font does throw it off a bit though. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

I liked Mizzou’s modern look, but a team going to a traditional striped look won’t ever get much complaining from me. Still, if they’re going that traditional route, a block font would’ve been way better. 

Normally I'd advocate the other way regarding number fonts... but in this case I agree. Mizzou is at the crossroads of an identity crisis. When they rolled out the look that brought with it the current number set they were more "fast and sleek"; now they've swung the pendulum back the other way to more traditional striping. (Let this also serve as yet more telltale evidenceol of how cyclical design can be--and that certain design elements endure because they work.)  I think they want to be both edgy and traditional but end up being a bad mash of both. (And this says nothing of the switch from metallic gold to yellow-gold.) Then again...how does Missouri differentiate itself when it's a program most probably don't even realize is in the SEC unless either you live there or someone reminded you, with a color scheme shared by multiple other programs, and probably the single most widespread athletic nickname ever in life? It gets hard to do.

Whatever--I still favor these Missouri sets as my favorite of theirs, even though it did end up becoming a viral Nike template:

30_dec_2005_005_gp_indbowl.jpg

4c82b94316c4d.image.jpg

CCN0GsrUVX33n0GuM7HTIgUxPW9xH4bAz5YS94Zs

I know the helmet didn't match, but at the time I thought that uniform was one of the coolest ones I'd seen--and look at the cuff trim. That detail alone was noteworthy to me. (Coincidentally, that was also the last time I remember Missouri being nationally relevant.) And at any rate, those had some personality to them. 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 7/26/2021 at 11:00 AM, henburg said:

Here's a bit of a clearer look at Mizzou-

Unclear if they have striping on the pants as well, but it looks good regardless. It's a much more coordinated, cohesive set now.

I'm surprised they went with the tiger logo on the helmet. The big block M looks better and they used the M for quite a few games last year, with the diamonds in the stripes (though there's probably a strong chance they bring it back). 

This new look for Mizzou isn't bad, but it could be a bit better. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

My guess with Mizzou is that they couldn't get a custom diamond stripe design from Nike this year due to the pandemic, so they just ordered from a catalog. I wouldn't be surprised if next year that they come out with a set with striping fully inspired by the helmet stripe. 

Oh, and just my two cents, but I don't mind the modern font on these Mizzou jerseys. I think it's just because one of my  biggest rules for uniform design is: If you're going to have a simple uniform, have a unique color scheme or font to make it less generic. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Even more new looks coming our way, in what is becoming a busy past week.

SMU has added a new blue jersey as a part of their "Dallas" set, which has been fairly popular. Most notable addition is the new number font.

E7RYyGhVoAEKNGR.jpg

Northern Arizona gets a much needed update, with much simpler uniforms with a unique collar pattern and an overall simplification. The helmets are a bit too bland, with the logo only on one side.

E7A7cH5VoAEzlcH.jpg

Youngstown State has switched from UA to Nike, and received some rather simple uniforms in the process.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Looks like the Ducks have something new in store:

I was told last year that they’d be getting a brand new set for this upcoming season, but we’ll have to see whether or not that actually comes to fruition. I haven’t been able to get any additional information recently, but I would expect anything new to be released in the next few weeks.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

5 hours ago, upperV03 said:

Looks like the Ducks have something new in store:

I was told last year that they’d be getting a brand new set for this upcoming season, but we’ll have to see whether or not that actually comes to fruition. I haven’t been able to get any additional information recently, but I would expect anything new to be released in the next few weeks.

I remember former Oregon player Mattrell McGraw, who now works for Nike, saying in an interview before last season that Oregon would have a special uniform for 2020 (which turned out to be their Polynesian Ohana jerseys) and a whole new set in 2021.  We'll see if the pandemic has changed anything in that timeline.

Archived