52 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

Their hints of the phrases in the teasers:

-hail to the greats that laid the foundation for our legacy

-hail to the fans we consider family

-we are and always have been Washington

-we'll fight for our community

-and together we will define our future

-we will launch

The Launch part feels significant, but idk what name that could refer to.

If we really want to read the tea leaves on this, you could read the bolded phrases as suggesting the WFT name is going to stay. 

Not that I believe this, but you could read this as saying very literally "we are washington," The "fight for our community" phrase could simply be another way of saying, "we will fight for/as Washington."  And "together we will define our future," could be a nod to collectively creating an identity under the WFT brand rather than forcing a new nickname upon them. 

The "we will launch" thing throws a wrench in that theory, I suppose.  

I have a feeling the name is going to be something extremely stupid.  Its Washington DC - i expect them to overthink it and pander to someone.  I assume the Military will be the ones who get that honor this time out.  

Its almost certainly going to be Commanders.  And its going to be stupid as hell. 

6 minutes ago, burgundy said:

There's a giant window right next to them. It's just light reflecting off of the decal, and it's the same color as the reflecting parts of the facemask. It's just a simple gold stripe.

What? There’s literally proof of the asymmetrical stripe

All the talk about honor, tradition, legacy doesn’t really jive with the visuals we get from the teasers. The uniforms look like they will be trendy garbage and none of the names really click for me.

WFT has some equity at this point, they should have cleaned up the logos and made some tweaks to the uniforms and called it a day. That would feel like a new era of the franchise. Whatever the new name is, paired with the apparently modern uniforms will feel like something else and I think that’s the wrong direction.

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

That’s what I’m seeing. It looks like a “distressed” white/gold stripe to me too. I guess we’ll find out in a month

edit: watched it again. It’s definitely a gold stripe with some glare from the window 

• Like 5

Can't help but feel like the logo is going to be some kind of W+A vector of some sort.  Poor example, but maybe something along these lines from a design standpoiunt: 

spacer.png

Don't hate the burgundy look, but the white ones are a head scratcher.  The black helmet is probably just the throwback leather helmet with poor lighting, especially since they keep referencing their history.  IMO, They should have just thrown the WFT "W" on the helmet with their old helmet stripes, kept that new wordmark and called it a day.   They could have just gone by the Pigskins.  Could still do the song with updated lyrics, could still call themselves the Skins, similar name/syllables to the old moniker, and it connects to both the Hogs, their history and the sport itself. 

Make no mistake though, I'm 100% expecting little annoying intricacies that will bother us uni-nerds until the end of time.  

30 minutes ago, TaylorMade said:

washingtonadmirals.com now redirects to Virginia Athletics. Pretty much confirms that Admirals is not the new name.

If anything, that looks like trying to put the cat back in the bag more than a false lead.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’m particularly fond of them seemingly taking inspiration from the recent throwbacks

spacer.png

These being a lasting part of the regular set are why I’m not fretting too much about the supposed second helmet option (yet). I think a re-worked fauxback could be a way to further integrate the team’s history into the new brand, and I really wouldn’t be surprised to see them do just that. I know the sound of a second helmet (and clear visual evidence of it in the teaser) can be a bit off-putting, but we still have very little context of what that helmet is and no confirmation of what uniform it’s being paired with yet. 

Sure, it could end up being awful, but I’m not jumping to conclusions on it quite yet without seeing the whole thing. I’m holding out hope it’s a fauxback.

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Watch that part of the video again. The "rough" part of the stripe shifts slightly. There's also a noticeable gold spot on the left side of the stripe at the top of the screen. It's a light reflection.

spacer.png

• Like 14

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Watch that part of the video again. The "rough" part of the stripe shifts slightly. There's also a noticeable gold spot on the left side of the stripe at the top of the screen. It's a light reflection.

spacer.png

100% this is an all yellow stripe with glare

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, kutztown said:

Can't help but feel like the logo is going to be some kind of W+A vector of some sort. 

Looking at the logo on their Twitter announcement--or as much of it as is there--I kinda had the same thought. If true, that would definitely lend itself to the name Armada. I don't know what else an implied "A" could be for, if that's they way they went.

Now, pivoting off the speculation angle for a bit, here's some screen grabs I got from the video:

VBJhxey.jpeg

Let us all be very glad we're not getting this.

DpHwCDh.jpeg

I've seen this before. I'm also pretty sure I know who created this. But the fact that it's so blurred out leads me to believe this is either a potential finalist or an alternate logo.

b5y4QFr.jpeg

W7LaTDU.jpeg

Not your typical NFL logo at all--its more of a soccer-style badge--but I really like it for what it is. It seems they really worked this Redtails direction pretty far into it--and I'm guessing the R was inspired in part by the alternate R logo Joe Gibbs used to wear on his hat so often. I believe had they gone this route, I'm pretty sure the big R would've gone on the helmet, while thie shield would have been a patch on the jersey. But the double solid yellow stripes plays off the DC flag very well. 

And finally...

BQLEkw4.jpeg

Look all the way over there to the right. They were also working a literal bird angle, as well.

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Did some deep watching of the helmet video. I think there are multiple helmet options:

• the burgundy with yellow facemask clearly shown
  • burgundy facemask seen at :09 seconds
  • black helmet with black facemask, with what appears to be a number on one side (definitely not the W)

The helmet handed to Rivera does not have a yellow mask – either gray, burgundy, or black. The blur of the burgundy helmet shows a singular yellow stripe, not two-tone.

A couple guess: they have not finalized helmet design, they will mix and match shells and masks, or there are some smoke screens involved.

When looking at the helmets in the video, it looks like Rivera is holding a burgundy helmet with a black mask, then Martin Mayhew is holding a burgundy helmet with a burgundy mask.  It could be lighting or clips from when they were looking at prototypes.  Anyway, I can speculate until I'm blue in the face.  It's probably best to just wait and see on 2/2.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com