NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

15 hours ago, insert name said:

It's been over 2 decades since the Oilers name was retired. In that time, the Texans have grown to be a natural NFL brand. Do people even wear Oilers as a nostalgic retro brand? They don't seem to even carry that retro cash grab the Expos, Nordiques and Whalers got. The brand is dead. 

Its enough that NFL/Fanatics has a section for them:
https://www.nflshop.com/?query=houston oilers

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I don't know which I find more ugly, played out, and boring... all white (icy, storm-trooper, or whatever else childish and cringey thing they want to call it) or the all black (black-out, fake tough, got old 15 years ago).  

I'm beyond over both of these trends.

Don't forgot teams deciding to adopt gray looks as well now.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, PERRIN said:

Here’s the Liberty White helmet they also tested out last year in the lobby. Interestingly enough, with a white face mask (personally I would’ve chose a navy face mask like the original concept helmet) 

Battle Red helmet was the right choice. 

• Like 10
NYCdog.png

3 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

If you make it just blue and red, it's now:

Pats

Texans

Titans

Giants

Bills

But with Arizona, Tampa Bay, Washington, San Francisco, and Kansas City, I think that's enough red-first teams. 

this is what I meant, I was incredibly tired when I wrote the initial post, that's on me

• Like 2

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

5 hours ago, NYCdog said:

Here’s the Liberty White helmet they also tested out last year in the lobby. Interestingly enough, with a white face mask (personally I would’ve chose a navy face mask like the original concept helmet) 

WTF is liberty white??? more like surrender white...texans lead the americas in spectacularly failed independence bids.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NYCdog said:

I'm in Team Liberty White, but it needs a Navy mask.  

I hate the Battle Red helmet.  

Either way, the NFL needs to allow these alternate helmets to have Black bumpers & chinstraps and hardware.  The White Bengal helmet would look infinitely better with Black hardware.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 10:09 PM, PERRIN said:

Found this today, looks pretty accurate to what was released (even the finish seems to match up pretty well) and showcases what the new red lid will look like on the battle red jersey.

Personally, I love it. Texans should go with this look as their primary set. With all the navy and red in the league, it's a wonder there isn't a red-first team yet. The Texans have the perfect set to go red full-time, works much better than their current navies in my book. The navy look just feels bland and uninteresting, but unoffensive. This feels a lot more vibrant and fun without changing anything but the helmet. Excited to see what this combo looks like on the field.

The fact that they had this out there all along then just released it as an actual uniform is going to make the “speculation via bread crumbs” game here absolutely insufferable.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2022 at 6:42 AM, gosioux76 said:

The suggestion wasn’t to adopt the name “Oilers,” just the colors. They can continue to be the Texans. So I don’t think an intellectual property claim comes into play if you’re not using the name. I’m also no IP expert, but I’m pretty certain you can’t claim ownership over colors on their own.

Technically, you can’t own the colors themselves, but it’s complicated by the fact that you *can* argue association and they (the Titans) would certainly have the point of view that the Oilers brand’s strong association with the colors and location would prohibit another team from using them in the professional football market (esp. in Houston).

• Like 1

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 7/14/2022 at 7:26 PM, insert name said:

It's been over 2 decades since the Oilers name was retired. In that time, the Texans have grown to be a natural NFL brand. Do people even wear Oilers as a nostalgic retro brand? They don't seem to even carry that retro cash grab the Expos, Nordiques and Whalers got. The brand is dead. 

I blame the Tennessee Oilers for this. The Nordiques were killed swiftly and thoroughly; the Oilers limped through the empty-house '96 season, two years in two temporary venues, and then got their new identity. (And do correct me if I'm wrong, please, but I believe confirmation of the Oilers' demise actually broke before that of the Browns.) There was no Sporcle in 1998, but if there had been, the Oilers would have been the last team you came up with. They were a placeholder. I think they even went a Fisherian 8-8 all three years, too. 

It's funny that you bring up the Nords, though, because they're both columbia/red teams with cool logos in the second cities of their respective sports' hotbeds. Ultimately, the idiosyncrasy of Quebec City is just too irresistible. Having a pro sports team in a smallish francophone town with castle walls felt like getting away with something in a way that Houston never could.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Fisher had five 8-8 seasons with the Oilertitans, including, indeed, the '96-'97-'98 seasons, and two 7-9s. It wasn't until he went to the Rams that he achieved true 7-9 subexcellence.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/15/2022 at 11:37 AM, NYCdog said:

At least they decided to mingle with their helmet color.