NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

22 hours ago, IceCap said:

Yes.

Oh.

Was there something else?

Don't think so. I didn't disappoint you, did I?

It was just a harmless nudge at the reaction to the topic at hand.

2 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Yeah, but I think they’re implying that they will consider mixing it with other jersey and pant colors.

I'm sure they'll eventually mix and match the helmet with all kinds of jersey and pants combos. This goes for a lot of teams introducing an alt helmet

6uXNWAo.png

37 minutes ago, Cujo said:

I'm sure they'll eventually mix and match the helmet with all kinds of jersey and pants combos. This goes for a lot of teams introducing an alt helmet

Right? If the Saints somehow don’t ever decide to pair the black helmet with the black jersey and pants, I would be pleasantly shocked.

1 hour ago, WBeltz said:

But at the end of the day, these are also used for merchandising and to generate more money at the end of the day.

We will never know, but I'd love to know how much revenue will increase by wearing these alternates. Alt jerseys and mini helmets have been available for a long time. They sell at some level even though some have never been worn (yellow Packer jersey, for example). Will the Eagles sell more black helmets because they wear them than if they didn't? How much of an increase might be offset by brand dilution?

Again, we will never know. Anyone who says these programs are ____________ ,popular is offering their own opinion. Nothing more. Me included😁

It's where I sit.

11 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

Right? If the Saints somehow don’t ever decide to pair the black helmet with the black jersey and pants, I would be pleasantly shocked.

I can already see the Instagram photo with the defensive back wearing this and looking down at his feet 

• Like 8
  • LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Every team debuting a black helmet is obviously going to wear it at home, show it off for the hometown crowd -- but also on the road, pairing with their white jerseys and black pants. Panthers. Eagles. Saints. Jets. Commanders. Count on it.

/OldSchoolVikings guarantee

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

7 hours ago, dont care said:

Look at the league 10 years ago, then look at it today, if you can’t see where the league is going and will continue to go in the name of profits and following other sports like NBA, CFB, MLB ect. Then you are clearly blind or naïve

There were teams using alternate helmets as far back as 1925 and they were allowed up until 2012. 

I just don't see how bringing back alternate helmets for 3 games max will turn into a free for all like other leagues. There are plenty of rules blocking "city" or extreme themed uniforms from ever seeing the field. Teams can't randomly add colors, or logos or anything else to an alternate unless it was used in the past or is present in their current branding. So unless Miami is adding pink to their normal jerseys, we'll never see Miami Vice happen. The NFL has, as far as I know, had the 5-year uniform rule in place for at least a decade. Same for the alternate uniform restrictions. The NBA, MLB and college sports couldn't care less what teams wear or how often. As long as the numbers are legible and there's nothing offensive, they are fair game. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I just don't see how bringing back alternate helmets for 3 games max will turn into a free for all like other leagues

Remember 20 years ago how it was just Oregon busting out a random uniform and helmet every week? Now it's every freaking college team, clear up to Division 3. The NBA ripped up their uniform rule book a couple years ago, no rhyme or reason to any uni that takes the court now. And the City Connect series is now taking over MLB. It's insane to think the NFL isn't also on this path.

• Like 3

6uXNWAo.png

7 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

There were teams using alternate helmets as far back as 1925 and they were allowed up until 2012. 

I just don't see how bringing back alternate helmets for 3 games max will turn into a free for all like other leagues. There are plenty of rules blocking "city" or extreme themed uniforms from ever seeing the field. Teams can't randomly add colors, or logos or anything else to an alternate unless it was used in the past or is present in their current branding. So unless Miami is adding pink to their normal jerseys, we'll never see Miami Vice happen. The NFL has, as far as I know, had the 5-year uniform rule in place for at least a decade. Same for the alternate uniform restrictions. The NBA, MLB and college sports couldn't care less what teams wear or how often. As long as the numbers are legible and there's nothing offensive, they are fair game. 

Once again you are ignoring the whole point of my post. The NFL went from 1 alternate OR throwback that could only be worn 2x and only limited to before week 8. Now every team can have a colorrush, 2 versions of a throwback and an alt that can be be worn 3x any time of the year, then you got teams like the ravens wearing them more than 3x with no repercussions. Now your adding a second helmet into the mix, all while the eagles are trying to get approved to wear a 3rd helmet next year. You have teams like the jaguars last year that never wore the same combo twice last year and the problem will be even worse this year. The NFL has constantly been loosening the rule book over the last decade and you are truly naive if you don’t think they will continue to do so.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

Looking at the Eagles and Jets, I feel like I’ve time warped back to the 90s. Are these 2 teams playing a game of chicken which only ends when one team is wearing nothing but black?

The Kelly green Eagles can’t come back fast enough. 

• Like 1

I posted a few years ago in a college fb thread that we would see a full Vader (all black) vs full Stormtrooper (all white) game every week in during the season. I see that pretty often. I don't think it will happen in the NFL, but I agree, we will see some mixing and matching. They will continue to have a uni schedule, I do not think NFL teams will have a surprise kick off combo like cfb schools do. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

21 minutes ago, lahaye7 said:

I posted a few years ago in a college fb thread that we would see a full Vader (all black) vs full Stormtrooper (all white) game every week in during the season. I see that pretty often. I don't think it will happen in the NFL, but I agree, we will see some mixing and matching. They will continue to have a uni schedule, I do not think NFL teams will have a surprise kick off combo like cfb schools do. 

We've had surprise uniform stuff the last few years. The most infamous one being the Ravens gold pants which were one and done because the reaction was so negative.

CWsHfXOU4AAMvUm.jpg

Chiefs and Rams once busted out throwback helmets without any prior announcement.

EIftj8BWoAAc9VX.jpg

cropped_2016-12-16T050614Z_658964279_NOC

I won't be surprised when a team unveils a new helmet suddenly before kickoff. It's rare that these things happen but I can see it. The question is will any of these alternate looks have staying power because some do and some don't. I feel like NFL teams are more self aware about knowing if their look sucks than in any other league.

bSLCtu2.png

So the Bears will wear this ugly orange helmet with their ugly orange jerseys.  And the will wear the navy helmet with the throwback stripes with the throwback uniform. That’s just two shells, true, but it’s three helmet designs.

See?  Baby steps. That’s how you set the precedent to water down the rules.  Smart. 

• Like 10
  • Yawn 1