2022-2023 NHL Jersey Changes

spartacat_12

On 10/14/2022 at 6:29 PM, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

But in a few years when they make that jersey the new home, which will happen sooner or later, it's happened with many other teams going back to an original Jersey, then going to black shorts would probably be an improvement.

Red jerseys with black pants is already Chicago & New Jersey's home look, and was the primary look for Ottawa & Calgary for a long time. Carolina already has a hard enough time standing out from all the red & black teams, they don't need to look even more like them.

On 10/16/2022 at 10:47 AM, Ricky_Roby said:

According to @AliMurji - his source suggest this is what the Senators Reverse Retro will be.

If so... that's a shame. So boring. I thought their last RR in red was ok but lacked any sense of fun or originality. This one even more so. Not a bad design on its own, just a missed opportunity to maybe use the peace tower script as part of their 30th season... this just feels like their regular home jersey with red sleeves. Woopity doo.

I'm not sure why that mock up has black stripes behind the sleeve numbers. Apparently this was the original plan for last season's RR, but they pivoted to a red jersey once they decided to rebrand to the black 2D as the primary. They even have RR hoodies still on sale that use the original prototype striping.

spacer.png

They're definitely playing it safe with this choice, which is a bit disappointing. Maybe they'll go with red numbers outlined in white to make it stand out from the home jersey.

• Like 3

Apparently half the league will be teased on Tuesday, half on Wednesday. All jerseys will be fully unveiled on Thursday - though I'm not sure this Thursday will be the day everything goes on sale. In 2020, they unveiled all the jerseys in early November, then waited a few weeks to make all products live on the store (which took advantage of built up demand). Would assume the same strategy this year, but who knows?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

https://www.behance.net/gallery/153296131/Reverse-Retro-20-Predictions

This person has fairly reliable sources so there's a fairly good chance that these are what the Reverse Retro 2.0s will look like.

• Like 3

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I can't believe the Wild logo has been crooked on the mothership for years, to the point where it regularly shows up wrong in other places, and it hasn't been fixed.  I'm half convinced it's a troll job at this point.

What is going on with the Habs' numbers? Colorado and New Jersey both going with Rockies colors is strange. That Tampa jersey should have been left 1994 Microsoft Word where it belongs

On 10/14/2022 at 3:14 AM, DTConcepts said:

A shirt turned up at the Isles store in UBS arena featuring what may be the Reverse Retro 2.0 logo

r7o13vG.jpg

Doesn't match the descriptions we've heard so far, and the lack of teeth feels weird. But I don't hate it.

I'm hearing Fisherman WITHOUT teal so this might make sense.

5 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

One thing I’ve noticed is that the Avs seemed to have dropped helmet ads this season. Kudos to them, no jersey ads either. Seems like a KSE-owned trend; the Nuggets haven’t gone for court ads either, unlike much of the NBA.

That's probably just because Kroenke has so much damn money between himself and his wife already that he probably doesn't really feel as much pressure as other teams might.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

This person has fairly reliable sources

If it's true then Rangers is lame once again. Even Lou allowed to something crazier

8 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

What is going on with the Habs' numbers?

It's their font from 2016 Winter Classic.

4r2eer.png

15 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Apparently half the league will be teased on Tuesday, half on Wednesday. All jerseys will be fully unveiled on Thursday - though I'm not sure this Thursday will be the day everything goes on sale. In 2020, they unveiled all the jerseys in early November, then waited a few weeks to make all products live on the store (which took advantage of built up demand). Would assume the same strategy this year, but who knows?

none are being teased today.  It’s two releases tomorrow. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/153296131/Reverse-Retro-20-Predictions

This person has fairly reliable sources so there's a fairly good chance that these are what the Reverse Retro 2.0s will look like.

So the Ducks would go with a white version of their actual alternate ? Doubt it but if it is true, you get a nice set for a rebranding

On 2022-10-17 at 4:09 PM, spartacat_12 said:

Red jerseys with black pants is already Chicago & New Jersey's home look, and was the primary look for Ottawa & Calgary for a long time. Carolina already has a hard enough time standing out from all the red & black teams, they don't need to look even more like them.

The home and away shirts for Chicago and NJ, and the current alternate for Carolina have quite distinct hem and sleeve trim, and New Jersey has the yoke.  The Hurricanes also have silver as part of their palate.

If Carolina brought back their original uniforms for the home and away and swapped red shorts for black with some red, white and silver trim, The Canes would still be distinct with the storm flag pattern, the black shorts aren't going to change that.

• Dislike 2

On 10/17/2022 at 12:09 PM, spartacat_12 said:

They're definitely playing it safe with this choice, which is a bit disappointing. Maybe they'll go with red numbers outlined in white to make it stand out from the home jersey.

Yeah, that's sort of my issue with it too - and my issue with Ottawa's last RR (although comparing the two, I prefer their first RR to this one). Playing it safe is one thing if you're doing a full rebrand, or coming up with an alternate you're going to wear 12 times a year for 3 to 5 years... but the allure of the Reverse Retros, for me, is that it's an excuse to throw caution to the wind and do weird and risky stuff you wouldn't normally do. 

The teams are only going to wear this, what, three times in a season? All they needed to do to here was just swap out the main logo for the old pre-launch Peace Tower script, and at least then you'd have a cool conversation piece and a wink-and-a-nod to the team's history, instead of just... the home jerseys with red sleeves.

EDIT:

Like this? I'm not in love with the peace tower logo, but at least this is something different...

Ff-H94y-Ea-YAEst86.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ricky_Roby said:

Ff-H94y-Ea-YAEst86.png

I can't even see the Senators text. For legibility sakes, white would be a better choice.

Also, Ottawa missed an opportunity to bring back the Civics Nationals jersey from the WHA, and re-apply their colour scheme to boot.

• Like 2